Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Had a nightmare experience today on the way back from a site.

As we turned onto the motorway the front passenger slide out on our 2006 Coachmen Concord 300TS started to slide out! Now it happened on the way down and we effected a temporary repair but it did not work! I had the two girls hanging on to inside for 20 minutes until we could get to a motorway services.

I strapped both front slides together using three rachet straps to make one big one! Thank heavens it worked.

But having looked over the weekend I was amazed that as far as I can see there is a bar on the outside and at the bottom of the slide that is held in place by six screws. At right angles there are another two bars that go inside the slide out. Off these bars the guides for the 'worm drives' are mounted. There appears to be only two screws on each of these holding them in place! This is the complete mechanism that holds the slide in!

They have used mild steel screws that have rotted and dropped out. If I am right this is a disastrous design.

I wonder if anyone can help as I am unable to find a diagram of the slideout and how it works. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or perhaps know of someone who has experienced the same problem?

Many thanks for your help.

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

I have now found out what the make of slide out is:

Link Removed

Last system on the 2nd page 'Dual Acme Glide Out'

But no information appears to be available. I have therefore sent an email to Liftco and await their response.

If I don't get anywhere I can see me having to strip the dining area apart to find the root cause of the problem.

Best regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
This guy is doing a van conversion using the exact same slide outs and this photo shows the bit that is moving on mine:

http://www.motorhomeconversion.com.au/slideout-rooms/?pid=1262

(should be photo 8)

Bottom of the frame and under the floor you can see a bar that runs part of the length of the bottom. This is now moving freely.

Regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Blimey Chris, I should think you did have a nightmare experience, could have been nasty.:Doh:
I'm sure someone will have the information about slide outs, I have seen posts about them not going back in, but not about coming out going along.

I know Scotjimland had his awning out on the motorway, not something I would want. :Smile:

Hope you get it sorted, certainly sounds like more bolts are needed. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im on a mobile connection and can't look at the pics in your link
Do I take it your slide is now fully free wheeling in and out If thats the case it would suggest the drive cog has lost its teeth big style
All slide to my knowledge have an internal locking device to prevent such an instance
Im as guilty as the next man for not using it, inertia would make the slide want to come out on right hand turns, without the lock in place all that prevents it is the drive cog, greasing the cog and worm is also a no no as it attracts dirt and debris to build up in the teeth reducing the teeth's depth and contact area, they should be left dry
May I suggest you re post on RVOC for a broader RV audience, and also Duncan our resident expert on all things RV may pick up on it
Geo

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Geo,

Thanks for your input. No nothing as simple as that!

There is no lock on the worm drive. But it is not the worm drive or drive chain/motor that has gone wrong.

My problem is about the mounting screws into the RV which have rotted and come away. The problem is I am at a loss to understand why so little is used to hold the slide in.

I can see an email has come in from the guy whom I asked for help in Aus. I will check this out as I have also created a document with his photo on and asked permission to use it.

Back soon.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Right, he has given me permission to publish this:

PictureofSlideout.png

Hopefully it explains better what the problem is.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

I think I may have solved the problem!

I have replaced the 10 screws with larger self cutting ones. The 6 along the bar on the outside and the four holding the two bars down that have the worm drives.

Whilst bringing the slideout in, it was 'cracking'. I then noticed the bottom of the slideout was not in far enough. So reverting to the awfully pointless Coachmen manual and Liftco slideout section I found the obvious two nuts for adjustment. They turned in the opposite way that Liftco said for the adjustment and had a 1 1/8" nut not 1 1/4" as they suggested.

But I can now go out and in with no odd noises and it is totally solid.

I still await any other suggestions but it seems to me that this whole procedure and adjustment is very critical. I am guessing that when it tries to pull the slideout in at an angle the force has ripped the screws out!

Best regards

Chris

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Here's Our Leader's answer to unwarranted slide-out slide-out (marvel at the technical wizardry, be astonished by the extraordinary beauty of the finish and fit!):

Link Removed

One of these on top of each slide and it's going nowhere ::bigsmile:
As soon as Jim gets the patent approval, expect to see it on sale here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back