Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Over the last couple of weeks:

Lambing time on the crofts, so an influx of hooded crows, gulls, buzzards, and eagles, golden and WTE. Which means that the 2 pairs of peewits are on high alert and in aggression mode. A couple of jackdaws. Pair of redshank, cuckoos busy cuckooing all day and night, and this year's first sighting of wheatear. A few larks. Snipe sounding off. Still waiting for stonechats to arrive.
Looking a bit further, more gulls, oyster-catcher, curlew, gannet. Greylag geese. There will be smaller shorebirds but can't see them from here.
All the usual garden suspects: hedge sparrow, greenfinch, lots of goldfinch, chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, coal tit, blackbird, rock dove, starling, reed bunting, now redpoll and linnet and a couple of pairs of bullfinch. Occasional thrushes. Outlier male siskin.
Occasional fly-by: sparrowhawk, kestrel, male hen harrier (not seen the female yet this year).
Various owls nearby but not hearing them.

It's getting busy!

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ha! female hen harrier on the way back from the village this evening - gorgeous with the sun giving her undercarriage a beautiful russet glow - so a pair in situ :clap:

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Nature?

Beautiful, cruel, kind and beautiful again, so much we can admire and enjoy but in the end it's survival of the fittest or strongest!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
A lovely senset to the west but no sign òf the moonrise yet.

I've been surrounded by a steamed up car to the west and a parked up van to the east!

I'm sightly the worse for wear after two bottles of Cava and the reserve Whisky,

A good sleep all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I expected some lovely photos, come on, get clicking
Apologies - I can see why you would - nothing spectacular over the last few days except stunning auroras that my phone can't capture.
So my skies have been all about birdlife. And my phone's not good enough. Sorry!

I suppose you can have this one: the Skye Bridge, Eilean Ban lighthouse, and Gavin Maxwell's (Ring of Bright Water) cottage, from Caol Acain last Friday: a blue Skye sky.

20240423_220616.jpg

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Over the last couple of weeks:

Lambing time on the crofts, so an influx of hooded crows, gulls, buzzards, and eagles, golden and WTE. Which means that the 2 pairs of peewits are on high alert and in aggression mode. A couple of jackdaws. Pair of redshank, cuckoos busy cuckooing all day and night, and this year's first sighting of wheatear. A few larks. Snipe sounding off. Still waiting for stonechats to arrive.
Looking a bit further, more gulls, oyster-catcher, curlew, gannet. Greylag geese. There will be smaller shorebirds but can't see them from here.
All the usual garden suspects: hedge sparrow, greenfinch, lots of goldfinch, chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, coal tit, blackbird, rock dove, starling, reed bunting, now redpoll and linnet and a couple of pairs of bullfinch. Occasional thrushes. Outlier male siskin.
Occasional fly-by: sparrowhawk, kestrel, male hen harrier (not seen the female yet this year).
Various owls nearby but not hearing them.

It's getting busy!
Thank you for the narration, it sounds like paradise for us but I don’t think we will get up to Skye this year, house hunting and must do Shetland later this year. Keep posting your pictures please

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thank you for the narration, it sounds like paradise for us but I don’t think we will get up to Skye this year, house hunting and must do Shetland later this year. Keep posting your pictures please
I'm thinking a trip to Shetland as well this year. Maybe around June. Must get my planning hat on!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I'm thinking a trip to Shetland as well this year. Maybe around June. Must get my planning hat on!
June should be great for Sumburgh Puffins and whales in abundance, Otter young may not be out of the Holts yet but last years young will still be with mum.👍🏻

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
3+
We have enjoyed seeing Oystercatchers in the Outer Hebrides and Orkney the past two years.

Yesterday I was walking from my car to the office, in the middle of Trafford Park, the largest industrial estate in Western Europe.

There are lots of gulls about, and I'm used to hearing them, but I heard a different call and it seemed familiar.

I looked up, and there was an Oystercatcher flying overhead! Twenty years I've been working in this location, never seen one here before!

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Here's a Skye sky photo from the window ... for those who want photos ... evening sun and a cloud cap on the Black Cuillin under an otherwise empty sky

20240425_200813.jpg

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
The West Highlands truly is Gods country IMO. Like to get back home twice a year if possible. First trip on 26th May, visiting family/friends near Glasgow then up the A82 through my beloved Glencoe. Feeling homesick just thinking about it (y)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Looks lovely, we might actually end up there in a couple of weeks, obviously depending on forecast 😂
Don't worry about the weather, if you don't like what you've got, make yourself a cuppa and it will change by the time you're finished;)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
really not sure how i've missed so much of this thread but thankfully found it this morning, some stunning photos from wendy but then, they usually are..

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
'Morning Toni, sometimes I feel that my windows are a bit like an art gallery in a nature reserve, and it's lovely to share.
Bird-wise, Swallows have now appeared. Down south (Sleat) a couple of Glossy Ibis.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
'Morning Toni, sometimes I feel that my windows are a bit like an art gallery in a nature reserve, and it's lovely to share.
Bird-wise, Swallows have now appeared. Down south (Sleat) a couple of Glossy Ibis.

but yet, an art gallery where the same pictures are ever changing, from moody, to inspirational, to happy smile making and never, ever, static or boring just depending on the light, the weather, flippin' magical, and of course with an ever changing background soundtrack..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back