Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
When I redid my van I ran two core speaker cable from the front of the van to the back and I routed it all underneath the showroom. I ran four sets of cables. This week I've used two of the sets when I installed some speakers at the back of the van.

I have a small table lamp with an LED 3watt bulb and two core flex that I use with a plug into the inverter.

My question….

Can I use the speaker wire to connect the lamp to so I can use it at the back of the van or does it have to be connected with thicker core wire?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Try playing Metallica or Rammstein at maximum volume for an hour or so...

I reckon if the speaker wires can cope with that power then a woosie lickle LED light won't worry them...

(The above is an attempt at humour... I don't actually know how many watts speaker wire can handle safely.)

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Haha. The speakers are rated at 40 watts but I believe that refers to the output not in input. But who knows…. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Using the speaker wire which is single insulated on mains voltage is going to possibly be a serious risk to your safety.
If running a suitable double insulated cable is going to be a pain, the best option is to find a suitable 12v bulb to fit to the lamp and use it on a fused 12v supply.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Using the speaker wire which is single insulated on mains voltage is going to possibly be a serious risk to your safety.
If running a suitable double insulated cable is going to be a pain, the best option is to find a suitable 12v bulb to fit to the lamp and use it on a fused 12v supply.

I had a horrible feeling that would be the case. I have a 12 volt 5 watt bulb - but it would still have to go through the inverter.

I'm guessing the safety issue is that it's going through the inverter and the fact that it's only a 3 watt bulb makes no difference.

OK - thanks for the advice - I'm hear to learn and I have learned. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a horrible feeling that would be the case. I have a 12 volt 5 watt bulb - but it would still have to go through the inverter.
Bit confused here.
You can't run a 12v bulb from an inverter no matter what the wattage.
Inverters are 230v ac.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Ah
Bit confused here.
You can't run a 12v bulb from an inverter no matter what the wattage.
Inverters are 230v ac.
Ah right - so even if I put the 12volt bulb in the lamp it wouldn't work? Ah well, that's solved that one then. I think I'll just keep doing what I've been doing - running it though the inverter with a low energy bulb.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Beat me to it :D

Why not just run the lamp on 12v

You'll have to excuse me. I really am a bit of a dunce when it comes to leccy. This is a small table lamp. How could I run it on 12 volt?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You'll have to excuse me. I really am a bit of a dunce when it comes to leccy. This is a small table lamp. How could I run it on 12 volt?

Either find a 12v lamp (bulb) that will fit your table lamp or fit a lamp (bulb) holder holder to suit a 12v lamp

I hate using the word bulb as I was always taught you plant them in the ground and get flowers from them :D

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
But but but… I HAVE got a 5 watt 12 volt bulb that fits, but papajohn said 'you can't run a 12volt bulb from an inverter' and you said, "beat me to it".

Now I'm confused…

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
But but but… I HAVE got a 5 watt 12 volt bulb that fits, but papajohn said 'you can't run a 12volt bulb from an inverter' and you said, "beat me to it".

Now I'm confused…

You cant run a 12v lamp from an inverter outlet as that is 240v unless you are plugging a plug into it with what is a transformer taking it back down to 12v.

Does that make sense?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You would be better off cutting the plug off, presuming it fits 240v three pin hole and just connecting it up to a 12v supply.

This cuts out the need for the inverter and using more of the leisure battery than needed.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
OK - thanks. I've just found out that I've been giving you duff information. The 12volt bulb I have is a smaller fitting than the bayonet fitting in the lamp.

So I'm back to just using the low wattage bulb though the inverter. Power isn't an issue. I hardly use any and I've got so much solar power I could sell some.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I've been giving you duff information.

:rolleyes: Story of my life :D

Personally I would find a lamp that uses a 12v lamp (bulb) and not use the inverter.
A 12v lamp would run a lot cooler and be safer than running 240v

Plenty to be had on the bay of thieves :)

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
If I couldn't have my little clay lamp with the holes in that makes lovely patterns on the wall then I wouldn't want any other. But thank you for your input. I think I understand more about life and electricity now. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A 12v bulb is designed to run off a 12v battery or a 12v plug-in power supply similar to that on some laptops etc.
A plug-in power supply changes the 230v mains voltage to 12v.
whereas an inverter does the opposite, it converts 12v battery voltage to 230v mains voltage.
the same electricity you get from a socket in your house.
A 12v bulb cannot work on 230v, it will explode
a 230v bulb can't work on 12v....there isn't enough power to make it glow.
That's one reason why the bulb bases are different sizes.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you. You explained it far better than Silver Fox. :D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another vote for that solution - never use single-insulated stuff for mains.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
If you want to leave the lamp unchanged, can't you simply run a 240v supply ( double insulated) from the front to the back where you want it? MAYBE you could use one of the 2 unused speaker cables to pull a mains cable through ( depends how you ran and supported the speaker cables)?

Alternatively is there nothing else at the back of the van which has any power? If you have some 12v back there an inexpensive small inverter would run the lamp as it is
Maybe something like this? If you don't have a socket, you could wire one in to whatever is there that is 12v

BESTEK 75W Car Charger Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 230V 240V Voltage Converter Transformer with UK Outlet Socket and Dual USB Ports Auto Adapter Plug for Phone Tablet Laptop
BESTEK
£19.99

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
If you want to leave the lamp unchanged, can't you simply run a 240v supply ( double insulated) from the front to the back where you want it? MAYBE you could use one of the 2 unused speaker cables to pull a mains cable through ( depends how you ran and supported the speaker cables)?

Thanks - that is real possibility. When I worked up the speakers at the weekend there was plenty of 'play' in the words so that's possible. I do have a 12v socket at the back of the van in an overhead light but I wouldn't be keen on using that plug thing that you suggested - but thanks - it sounds really interesting.

I'll try attaching a 240 wire to the speaker wire and see where I get to.

Thank you.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'll try attaching a 240 wire to the speaker wire and see where I get to
:eek:

Can you not get a 12v lamp fitting to fit in you twinkly lamp thing.
You could use the fitting from an old car headlight, it would be an easy job to put into something and use an led lamp in it.

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hmmmm. That is also a possibility. I will look to see what fittings are available. Thank you.

So, would I then be able to hard wire it into the 12v system? Join into another existing wire at floor level perhaps? I'm reluctant to ask given my extreme rudeness of last night. :)

All this hassle over a twinkly light.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back