Free Member
Aug 6, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
sold
Exp
Absolute NEWBIE
Yikes--Sold my MH last week ( after getting 3 valuations from trade) and its now for sale at 10 grand more . Thats 7 grand more than I paid for it 2 years ago. All through the trade. Not sure this can last much longer. Not complaining as it was my decision to sell --just saying.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My first van, a 1986 VW, I sold for 20% more than I had paid for it 4 years earlier and with 30,000 less miles.
Camper vans and motorhomes if well looked after retain their value fairly well, certainly a lot better than a car of a similar age.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Sold ours earlier in the year for same price we paid for it a year earlier than that.
It was sold by the dealer in less than an hour without him even needing to wash it for £8k more.
No regrets but in hindsight i wish i had at least one go a selling privately. Lazyness i suppose.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Please would anyone due to change their motor home consider putting it on here first ,there’s a gang of us looking for vans(in our case our first) and it’s difficult to find anything at the moment.
presumably saving 5-10 grand of the forecourt price would go a long way to dealing with any faults in any van sold privately so again please try it here first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Bought our little Romahome Duo (X) about 8 years ago for 8k. Mrs Zaskar found the same year/model + MORE milage on the net last week for between 12k & 14K !!!!!!! It's getting to the stage where our Romahome is worth more than our 2008 27ft 5th wheel!

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We were paid an excellent price (10K more than any one else!) for PE in May this year. Then the dealer slapped on 10K and it’s still for sale.!!
Colyboy

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
Got two really good offers this year for ours but cannot get a replacement this side of Spring/summer next year. Looking at the 2022 price(94K) of the similar M/H its 20k more than we paid in 2019, 2021 models were at 84k. No wonder they are commanding good prices!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Please would anyone due to change their motor home consider putting it on here first ,there’s a gang of us looking for vans(in our case our first) and it’s difficult to find anything at the moment.
presumably saving 5-10 grand of the forecourt price would go a long way to dealing with any faults in any van sold privately so again please try it here first.
Good idea, have you also thought of posting a 'wanted' advert, giving an idea of what you're looking for?

Good luck with your search.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.

Presumably you are scanning the classified section?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just sold my SMax as I have had to have a works car.

Checked webuyanycar and they offered me £6250. This is an average mileage 15 plate.

So put it on Autotrader as a private sale for £8500. Advert went live and phone instantly rings, it’s a dealer and he wanted to have a look and know what’s the lowest I would accept. Told him 8k if it went today. He sent a man with a low loader, transferred the money after said man checked it over and meanwhile I had another 6 calls in the 2 hours that took.

Off it went and I was happy.

It is now up for sale on their forecourt for £11550.

It isn’t just motorhomes…..

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The price displayed on a forecourt is not what the vehicle sells for,

You may remember the deal you did when you brought the vehicle (your negotiating skills meant you knocked off % from the asking price).

Also you may wish to consider a sale or return model with a dealer which may increase your sale price.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not much or even 0 discount being given at the mo no matter how good ones negotiating skills are.

BOUGHT

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I traded mine in for a brand new one last month, the old van is now up for sale with another dealer for £9K more! Wish I'd had time to sell it privately but was about to go off on holiday & lots of other stuff going on, would have waited but a dealer had the exact moho we wanted in stock ready to go.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not much or even 0 discount being given at the mo no matter how good ones negotiating skills are.

BOUGHT
Which is why (and not judging people) it can be good to do sale or return and agreeing the dealer margin. I have found in the past this works well for maximising a sale price.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
mine is already on the classifieds and I already know is £12000 less than what the dealer says he’ll sell it for and he won’t have to wash this one either 😟

He reckons it won’t be there after 5 days 😱

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago compactline
Exp
15 year
Hi all I have a Hymercar Grand Canyon possibly for sale 2018 150 6 speed if anyone wants more info Mitch

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I traded mine in for a brand new one last month, the old van is now up for sale with another dealer for £9K more! Wish I'd had time to sell it privately but was about to go off on holiday & lots of other stuff going on, would have waited but a dealer had the exact moho we wanted in stock ready to go.
I feel your pain. More so as i DID have the time.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Just sold our m/h and now waiting for our new A Class Rapido next year.
When we bought ours, it was less than a year old with with less than 1000miles so well below new price and with some nice extras.When the time came to sell a month ago, I put it on Autotrader more in hope than expectation as didn't really expect anyone to part with over £50k from a private sale and sure enough over the space of 2 weeks, only had interest from dealers. Decided to sell it to one of them for exactly what I wanted, so very happy with that. The dealer then sold it within 2 weeks for £10k more and more than we paid for it 3 years ago!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back