Silliest thing you’ve done in/with your MH? (1 Viewer)

Lorna and Chris

Free Member
Mar 17, 2019
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
Thought long and hard about wether to share but I’m sure there’s lots who have done the same thing ...

We reversed off the drive Friday night without unhooking the ehu :rolleyes::oops::X3:

Just ordered another mains cover from eBay as we cracked it ...

Will also put a reminder on the steering wheel to double check in future as that’s the second time we’ve done it since changing from caravan 2 month ago ... :ROFLMAO:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Allowing my wife to “spot” when we went into a multi storey car park in N Z.

I knew I was ok to get so far as the delivery lorries went in.

The problem occurred when she didn’t “spot” the piece of conduit on the roof of the car park ?
I couldn’t see it as the bed overhang of the cab ?

Still only pulled a bit of trim off which I stuck back on better than it was before ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Falling out of the bed above the cab and smashing the oven door on my way down*

* alcohol may have featured in this event, but I can’t remember:unsure:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Our old Autotrail had an alarm that sounded when you turned the ignition on when it was plugged in. It would be easy enough to make one of these with a 240v relay and a12V buzzer....

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Bubble wrap stuff to keep it quiet for the journey. Fine until you fire the gas oven up and forget its there!!
.....what a knob! Took ages to clean the bloody burner !

Kev

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thought long and hard about wether to share but I’m sure there’s lots who have done the same thing ...

We reversed off the drive Friday night without unhooking the ehu :rolleyes::oops::X3:

Will also put a reminder on the steering wheel to double check in future as that’s the second time we’ve done it since changing from caravan 2 month ago ... :ROFLMAO:
Haven't done that since I had to carry the bungalow back up a 1 in 6 hill.:D

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Allowing my wife to “spot” when we went into a multi storey car park in N Z.

I knew I was ok to get so far as the delivery lorries went in.

The problem occurred when she didn’t “spot” the piece of conduit on the roof of the car park ?
I couldn’t see it as the bed overhang of the cab ?

Still only pulled a bit of trim off which I stuck back on better than it was before ?
There aren’t any multi storey car parks in NZ, are there? You must have been in Auckland, and that doesn’t count.??

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Drove to Dover for the ferry and closed the door then I told my lady friend that she had left the window open, she then told me that I had left the keys in the van.
Luckily she had left the window open :rofl::rofl:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Haven’t done it yet but I just know it’s going to happen.....

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Mere amateurs, the lot of you:rollingeyes:. Booked on a 4am ferry, we stopped in a layby a few miles from Dover. We were towing a trailer with two scooters. Parking was at right angles to the kerb, so to fit in I unhitched the trailer and parked it alongside. Then we all went to bed.

Getting up at 3am, in a rush, bleary-eyed, we put the beds away and drove down to the port. Just managed to catch the ferry, and stumbled up to the passenger deck. When we reached Zeebrugge, as we returned to the MH, the wife asked 'Where's the trailer???:Eeek:'. Still in the layby, of course!:swear2:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Mere amateurs, the lot of you:rollingeyes:. Booked on a 4am ferry, we stopped in a layby a few miles from Dover. We were towing a trailer with two scooters. Parking was at right angles to the kerb, so to fit in I unhitched the trailer and parked it alongside. Then we all went to bed.

Getting up at 3am, in a rush, bleary-eyed, we put the beds away and drove down to the port. Just managed to catch the ferry, and stumbled up to the passenger deck. When we reached Zeebrugge, as we returned to the MH, the wife asked 'Where's the trailer???:Eeek:'. Still in the layby, of course!:swear2:

Did you get them back..?

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Being unable to get the moho off our muddy paddock in February of last year. Nothing would move it and the gripper tracks were no use.

It probably was stuck anyway but I would have had a better chance if I had released the handbrake ? All my limited intellectual capacity had gone into the problem of the mud and I overlooked the obvious ?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Did you get them back..?
Yes, I had to pay to go back as a passenger on the next ferry, and found a taxi with a towbar to pull it to the dockside in Dover. Then one of those tractor units put it onto the ferry, and I went back with it. They didn't charge me for the trailer, they reckoned I'd already paid for it anyway. Got the impression everyone was trying really hard not to burst out laughing..:giggler:. And we started the holiday a day later than planned:frowny:.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Had to stop using the plastic mats between the saucepans because they stuck to the bottom and I set one alight - three times! Also used the oven as a cupboard until I put the oven on to warm up........ :) :)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted some better gauges on our gas bottles as the 'toy' clip-on ones are useless. Went inside and lit hob to check the gas flow - all working well. Did a bit of a re-jigging job on the gas bottles and tubing. Very pleased with outcome. Went back inside turned off electrics closed hob and put my tools away. An hour or so later Jean called to me to come and look at this. As I entered the van there was glass everywhere having shattered the lid of the hob. Instead of OFF I had turned the gas tap to LOW before putting the lid down. Boy did I feel stupid.:fubar:

Wyn

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Strictly speaking, this was in the caravan, but it’s still pretty daft. Put the kettle on for washing up when we got home (van lived in the field at the bottom of the garden in those days) Thought I would try out my brand new silicone kettle on my brand new induction hotplate. Filled it completely, thought it would take a while to boil and wandered off. Got completely distracted in the house and returned half an hour later to find very little kettle left and a distinct scorched smell! No sign of the silicone at all except a little greasy ash on the ceiling and a fair bit of water around.

Induction hob survived. I had to buy a new kettle!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Think autorouter gets the prize. MH in Belgium, trailer in Kent. Nearly as bad as PanAm landing at Northolt instead of Heathrow.

I have been fairly lucky in 10 years, as my career as a pilot taught me to do PDIs (Pre-departure Inspections)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back