Silliest thing you’ve done in/with your MH? (1 Viewer)

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
My husband Jeff drove off our driveway with the electric step still out - destroyed the fence post at the end of the drive and bent the step out of line. Luckily he managed to hammer the step back into shape enough that it would retract - until he did it a second time. We managed to pick up another step at Haggers Bring and Buy meet, and now it has a loud buzzer to let us know when it is still out when the engine is running.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not me I hasten to add..

The Mrs decided to hang some coat hangers on the tap in the shower..

We stopped for a cuppa and a sandwich at the motorway services...

Drove into the Malvern Showground.... looked down and there was water all round my feet...

SHE forgot to turn the water pump off after we stopped.... and the bouncing about the weight of the Coats on the hanger turned the shower on...

20 odd gallons of water running amok all over the M-home floor.. :doh::swear2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not me I hasten to add..

The Mrs decided to hang some coat hangers on the tap in the shower..

We stopped for a cuppa and a sandwich at the motorway services...

Drove into the Malvern Showground.... looked down and there was water all round my feet...

SHE forgot to turn the water pump off after we stopped.... and the bouncing about the weight of the Coats on the hanger turned the shower on...

20 odd gallons of water running amok all over the M-home floor.. :doh::swear2:

Strange, our shower water drains into the grey tank.

Is there something you are not telling us Mo?

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We were on the THS at York Sports ground last week. Getting ready to leave. Decided to pop a couple of cans of water in the tank using 10 litre watering can. Walked across to the tap. filled can, started walking back to van and spotted a Hymer I thought I recognized. Put can on grass, walked across to Hymer and nattered to SandJ for 1/4 hour.
Walked back to our Van. Did checks, drove out of Sports club on to A19 and as soon as I turned onto the road remembered the Watering Can :blusher:.
Did I go back for it ? Of course I did. Cost 50p at a car boot so I wasn't leaving that:D

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We were on the THS at York Sports ground last week. Getting ready to leave. Decided to pop a couple of cans of water in the tank using 10 litre watering can. Walked across to the tap. filled can, started walking back to van and spotted a Hymer I thought I recognized. Put can on grass, walked across to Hymer and nattered to SandJ for 1/4 hour.
Walked back to our Van. Did checks, drove out of Sports club on to A19 and as soon as I turned onto the road remembered the Watering Can :blusher:.
Did I go back for it ? Of course I did. Cost 50p at a car boot so I wasn't leaving that:D

Of course you did - could have cost more in diesel driving to another carboot sale.:LOL:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Strange, our shower water drains into the grey tank.

Is there something you are not telling us Mo?

Round shower with the door clipped open and the shower head pointing straight out the door... :frowny:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Followed the sat nav. In my defence there was a Campsite sign at the beginning of the lane, which turned into a track and ended in a farmer’s field. Big wall so alongside the track and Dutch on opposite side so I was too scared to reverse. Farmer told me to drive on, tarmac after 200 metres. He forgot to mention the very low hanging branches above the mud filled dip. I found the damage the branches had done to the TV aerial when it started raining that night, inside my Motorhome.

OP
OP
Lorna and Chris

Lorna and Chris

Free Member
Mar 17, 2019
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
Followed the sat nav. In my defence there was a Campsite sign at the beginning of the lane, which turned into a track and ended in a farmer’s field. Big wall so alongside the track and Dutch on opposite side so I was too scared to reverse. Farmer told me to drive on, tarmac after 200 metres. He forgot to mention the very low hanging branches above the mud filled dip. I found the damage the branches had done to the TV aerial when it started raining that night, inside my Motorhome.

Oh no :cry:

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few miles to arrive at site in heavy traffic .Van would not go faster than 30 mph at high revs.Limped in to site and called out Mercedes break down service.He explains my knee had pushed the auto box lever in to second gear without my noticing the very small instrument info panel .
He at least confirmed it has happened many other times.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Followed SatNav going through Rouen. Those big overhead metal height warning cylinders make a lovely noise as they scrape along your roof, taking out antenna, HEKA's and vent covers. Was sure the van was lower than 2.8 metres.......

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Followed SatNav going through Rouen. Those big overhead metal height warning cylinders make a lovely noise as they scrape along your roof, taking out antenna, HEKA's and vent covers. Was sure the van was lower than 2.8 metres.......
The follow up to that was that once we'd cleared the warning, I had a complete brain fart and decided that I'd keep on going to the underpass that the cylinder was warning about. Wife pointed out the error of my ways, including many expletives. Fortunately, a local had spotted what was about to happen and had stopped his car across two lanes of traffic and proceeded to guide me backwards up the dual carriageway at rush hour! I'm guessing it wasn't the first time he'd see this happen.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
In Cherbourg following sat nav down through under pass tunnel only 2.7m high same hight as our van,
so i stopped holding up all the traffic behind me,my wife got out and watched me through with inches to spare.No body sounded there horn.

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Last year we were heading to Dare Valley campsite entered the post code set the route on my sat nav and performed the cardinal sin I didn't double check the route. I ended up in the Aberdare council offices not the campsite. This was a little bit awkward as I had the toed on the back so we were around 36ft long. I have the Tomto:rolleyes:m truck map so it did warn me restricted access but I just told her to shut up. On the Dare Valley site I had taken the postcode thinking it was for the site. This is not all we had stopped there once before. So the moral of the story is:- Double check your route and listen to good advice.
Phil.

OP
OP
Lorna and Chris

Lorna and Chris

Free Member
Mar 17, 2019
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
The follow up to that was that once we'd cleared the warning, I had a complete brain fart and decided that I'd keep on going to the underpass that the cylinder was warning about. Wife pointed out the error of my ways, including many expletives. Fortunately, a local had spotted what was about to happen and had stopped his car across two lanes of traffic and proceeded to guide me backwards up the dual carriageway at rush hour! I'm guessing it wasn't the first time he'd see this happen.

:eek:

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Parked on our sloping drive with a full waste tank!:doh:

Glad that tee shirts in the bag, what a bloody disaster, it pissed out of the shower tray waste and over every inch of the bloody van floor!

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
On our first ever trip while laying in bed, my wife asked me if I had locked the 'van doors. No was the answer, no problem I said I'll use the remote. I locked it and the remote fell down behind the seat. Three minutes later (at 1am) the alarm went off. Three minutes later with the alarm still screaming I found the remote and stopped the alarm ...... only to start again 3 minutes later, then again 3 minutes later. I couldn't switch it off without my specs!! When I finally switched it off all you could hear was dogs barking and a child crying in a nearby tent. I had to keep a low profile next morning:rolleyes:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oh so many, I'm not sure what rates the highest!

I think this is the dumbest, so I'll list it first. The van is drained down for winter, all tanks empty. Then an interesting opportunity to get away comes along, so as I always do, I phone the brother in law (who lives where the van is) and ask him to plug in the van and turn on the fridge, ready for our excursion. Only thing is, when I drained down, I committed the cardinal sin, I forgot to turn off the water heater! As it turns out, our electric element must have a dumbass cut out, because it still works, I was expecting a hefty repair bill from that one.

The overhang saga, pulling into a tight petrol station, no problems, and filled up without incident. Sadly on the way out, I picked up 2 pump hoses on the rear bumper. Luckily spotted it in the mirror and jumped out, and untangled them. Much to the amusement of everyone else at the forecourt.

And the final one that I still haven't fixed yet. Fitted a satellite dish to the roof, all went hunky dory. However, 2 years down the line, it turns out where I drilled the hole for the wiring (right above the wardrobe) was not watertight, there is a fiberglass panel above the aluminium roof. I drilled through both. Water now slowly seeps into the wardrobe in heavy rain. Still working on a fix GRRR!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Many mishaps! Clipped the side of our first motorhome roof against the side of a stables roof, it was I think only our second outing……

Got stuck in the mud and pulled out by a ‘farmer’ and his tractor who owned the campsite in lovely but wet Yorkshire. He’d clearly done it before!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Nearly dragged the EHU post with us when we left a CL, no-one else around, stopped in time to unplug but that left us in soft ground so had to find someone to give us a pull out!

Followed a small road that got smaller and smaller until you couldn’t have got you hand between van and road banks!

Reversed into a dry field to turn round but entrance sloped and rocks in grass-no grip when we tried to return to road, managed to get French road workers to give us a tug!

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
Collected our first motorhome . Drove a few miles to the petrol station. Struggled for at least twenty minutes to get the wretched filler cap off. After much shameful language finally succeeded. There was quite a queue behind us at this point. Jumped back in the cab and trod on the fire extinguisher and set it off.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Oh, I’d forgotten the shower! Our outdoor locker access is rubbish, so I keep chairs and tables in the shower (we never use it). When I was first figuring out how to load it I hadn’t put the shower all the way up the rail and accidentally knocked in on. I somehow managed to soak everything both inside the shower, washroom AND kitchen because the washroom door was open (Including the rear bench cushions, which I was storing in there at the time) before I managed to get enough stuff out to turn it off. Fortunately it was the middle of a heatwave, and everything dried out in no time.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Today it’s been hot here in Bavaria, and I mean full sun and inside van temperature showed 41 °C parked on exposed carpark at Lake Königssee.
We took a boat ride to St Bartholomew further down the lake, a packed lunch and a walk. It was lovely if a bit warm!
Why did it suddenly pop into my head “I don’t remember switching fridge on to gas”, no, I must have done because it would have been beeping, wouldn’t it?

So we get back 4 hours later, and my sub-conscious had not tricked me, fridge still on battery setting.
Thank goodness we ate up all the ice-cream last night (y) :) The beer is still cold even if not chilled !

It’s usually the other way round, we’ve been driving along for ages and then I remember fridge is still on gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back