Side loading trailers (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
For ages I been thinking of a scooter for the van. I was goi g to put it in garage but worrying about weight and fuel smells. I think a trailer best way to go.
I also fancy a non articulated transverse style with castor style wheels. I'm no good at reversing. I am aware of the hydratrail but tbh wheels look too small and it looks weak.
Any other suggestions please Thanks Paul

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I've never had a Hydratrail but I think owners love them.

We have a Motolug which is brilliant as it dismantles if you want to store it and it takes my Triumph Tiger 800 easily. We have just ordered an Xmax 300 scoot and are wondering about the Hydratrail so will watch this thread with interest.

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve got a hydra trail which I use with a BMW R1200gs which is no lightweight. It is so easy to tow with because of the castor type wheels. Reversing is a doddle, it’s just like having an extension to the Motorhome. Don’t dismiss it out of hand, you might be surprised just how easy it is to use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have had a Hydratrail and now have an Armitage. The Hydratrail was OK when we had the previous van with a short overhang. When we swapped to the current van which has a long overhang the action of jacking up the trailer with the scooter on (260kg) left the trailer where it was and instead tried to lift the rear of the van. Yes, reversing a short trailer is not easy but is achievable with care. One of the advantages is that unlike the Hydratrail you can unhook the trailer with the scooter still on and manoeuvre it to one side if needed. With the Hydratrail you have to unload it first.
I believe that the Remorque is usually towed as a conventional trailer on a ball but when you reverse you put a rigid stay between the trailer and the towbar so that the castor wheels do their job.
PS looking at that video they have two tow hitches, on the ones I have seen they had just the one as described above.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We use an Armitage side loading trailer with a Suzuki Burgman 400. I'm going to put the combo on the classifieds for sale once I figure out how to place the ad.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tried a Hydratrail.. Sotty and myself both bought one for our BMW's
Tried it once.. It twisted a 3" box section tow bar, was a nightmare to load and unload and I was just not happy at all.. neither was Richard ( Scotty )
We both returned them.
But I must say they are very well made and it did tow as if it was just not there

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Tried a Hydratrail.. Sotty and myself both bought one for our BMW's
Tried it once.. It twisted a 3" box section tow bar, was a nightmare to load and unload and I was just not happy at all.. neither was Richard ( Scotty )
We both returned them.
But I must say they are very well made and it did tow as if it was just not there

Bugger got my eye on one really don't fancy proper towing.

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Jaws this is my towbar ya reckon that could suffer also?

Attachments

• IMG_20200818_195012.jpg
    IMG_20200818_195012.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 168

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jaws this is my towbar ya reckon that could suffer also?
It twisted the big square bar going across the back
Imagine getting a big bit of box section, putting each end in huge vices, then getting a 10ft long spanner and putting it in the middle
Now get 3 fat blokes to hang off said spanner to try and twist the box section.. well thats what it did to mine
The tow bar was newly fitted by TowTal.. and although I am NOT a fan of their work, the guvnor, Bill ?, did predict it might happen as he had replaced a bar just recently

Looking at your set up I can only say that with that bar coming off the draw bar up to the ball, the extra leverage might well exacerbate the issue

BUT ! Please consider this happened a good 8 years ago .. Quite possibly the chap who builds them might well have changed the cantilever design by now thereby reducing or even eliminating the problem
For all I know I could be reporting a problem that has not existed on models after we bought ours...

Last edited:

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Not sure how towbars can twist because a. the HydraTrail is only rated to 250kg and b. there is a support bar that takes the weight until the wheels are attached. Well there is with mine. Never a sign of flexing with a 200kg Speed Triple.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not sure how towbars can twist because a. the HydraTrail is only rated to 250kg and b. there is a support bar that takes the weight until the wheels are attached. Well there is with mine. Never a sign of flexing with a 200kg Speed Triple.
I did not believe it when Bill at TowTal told me..
And to be perfectly honest I still do not really understand why it does ( did ) it... but I was far from being alone with it happening

It is intersting you say your unit is rated at 250kG
When Richard and I bought ours the chap who makes them told us that he was going to make them specially for us as the standard one would not take the 230kG of the BMW R1150GS

Which does point to a major design change on later ones, which is what I surmised in my post above

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The only way it could twist, as I see it, is if the parallelogram linkage got to the end of its travel on a bump or a dip, effectively putting a 450kg load into the tow bar's box section ? I think the Hydratrail is an interesting concept, but it should incorporate some suspension into the individual wheels (like the remorques have) and maybe even have a damper incorporated into the parallelogram linkage too ?
I did sketch out a few ideas for a side loading, swivel wheeled trailer a few years back and I bought some industrial rubber compression springs to incorporate into the castors and made a couple of wooden mock-ups to help fathom out linkages (never learnt CAD, always been a "back of a fag packet" designer !) but getting retired early took away my workshop access.
Might have to have another look at it, as there does seem to be a market out there for an affordable, steerable side loader ?

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
I did not believe it when Bill at TowTal told me..
And to be perfectly honest I still do not really understand why it does ( did ) it... but I was far from being alone with it happening

It is intersting you say your unit is rated at 250kG
When Richard and I bought ours the chap who makes them told us that he was going to make them specially for us as the standard one would not take the 230kG of the BMW R1150GS

Which does point to a major design change on later ones, which is what I surmised in my post above
I got the 250kg from the description on the web site:

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I am certain there is a market for these trailers especially if they are easily loadable, short and with suspension. Many seem to have the weight of the load either too far forward so the load is on the towbar, or back where the load seems to lean back precariously. I guess this is a function of the support point changing as the castors rotate? Fine line to get it right. There is one made in Cordoba that seems to have it cracked called a Tortuga!

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I am certain there is a market for these trailers especially if they are easily loadable, short and with suspension. Many seem to have the weight of the load either too far forward so the load is on the towbar, or back where the load seems to lean back precariously. I guess this is a function of the support point changing as the castors rotate? Fine line to get it right. There is one made in Cordoba that seems to have it cracked called a Tortuga!
Do you have a link to it ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The only way it could twist, as I see it, is if the parallelogram linkage got to the end of its travel on a bump or a dip, effectively putting a 450kg load into the tow bar's box section ? I think the Hydratrail is an interesting concept, but it should incorporate some suspension into the individual wheels (like the remorques have) and maybe even have a damper incorporated into the parallelogram linkage too ?
I did sketch out a few ideas for a side loading, swivel wheeled trailer a few years back and I bought some industrial rubber compression springs to incorporate into the castors and made a couple of wooden mock-ups to help fathom out linkages (never learnt CAD, always been a "back of a fag packet" designer !) but getting retired early took away my workshop access.
Might have to have another look at it, as there does seem to be a market out there for an affordable, steerable side loader ?
You have also to take in to account the inertial forces that come in to play when braking or accelerating
I have never sat and worked it out ( and do not think I could any way ) but I suspect it was something to do with the braking that caused the issue
I only did a few miles to check it out.. When I stopped to take a look, I saw what had happened and returned home.. never bothered with further tests !
Over the time I had the van and after I had the hydratrail the tow bar pulled various trailers and even a big tag axle caravan without issue, so the integrity of the bar was def not the problem :)

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I am a fan of the Saweko Wheely. Costs an arm and a leg but bombproof. Just winch the bike ( 1250 GSA ) onto the trailer and away you go.

1597995093392.png

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
I am a fan of the Saweko Wheely. Costs an arm and a leg but bombproof. Just winch the bike ( 1250 GSA ) onto the trailer and away you go.

I second this. I have one with the extended rear end. It is brilliant, solid and I don't find it too difficult to reverse. I use it to carry my Honda C90 Cub, 2 bikes and a portable massage bed!! Its one big mechano kit and convertable for other options. I've also mounted a Thule storage box on the A frame and it has kept it well balanced. Its a investment and just a brilliant trailer which ticks all the boxes for us

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just watched a demo of a Saweko being loaded/unloaded...
WOW !! Brilliant bit of kit..
Only real downside is it being so short reversing for the novice could be a real nightmare

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Only real downside is it being so short reversing for the novice could be a real nightmare
Honestly its not overly difficult..... take your time, get out first and have a look, use your mirrors, use your rearview camera if you have one, practice a few times, if in doubt get out and have another look.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Honestly its not overly difficult..... take your time, get out first and have a look, use your mirrors, use your rearview camera if you have one, practice a few times, if in doubt get out and have another look.
All good advice.. But I still say it would be difficult for the first time reverser !

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
All good advice.. But I still say it would be difficult for the first time reverser !
Not only firstimer, imagine those little spots you sometimes find yourself in where the road narrows and you are forced to make that short reverse to let someone pass! Usually on a slow bend with a hump in the road and a blind spot behind you 😂🙃

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
The winch operated side loading Sawiko is iro €3300.

The less sophisticated British alternative by Armitage starts around £1000.

Big difference in price but so is the quality of the engineering.

The Hydra Trail, which has the benefit of not articulating when reversed, is £1395 but some folk have had quality problems.

In each case you're paying a lot more than a conventional rear loading motorbike trailer. A common brand is Erde and they start around £500.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back