Sicily in Jan/Feb 2024 (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Hi we are considering touring Sicily in our campervan in January/February next year.
Can anyone advise if there any campsites open at that time of year and has anyone got any top tips?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi we are considering touring Sicily in our campervan in January/February next year.
Can anyone advise if there any campsites open at that time of year and has anyone got any top tips?

It might be worth reading through DBK's thread on his tour of Sicily for infomation.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
People have over-wintered in Sicily on sites so some will be open. I can only suggest looking at the ACSI book/app and the websites of individual sites you are interested in and see if they close in winter. Enjoy the trip, we'd like to return some day but probably a little later, around May when the flowers will be out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW T5
People have over-wintered in Sicily on sites so some will be open. I can only suggest looking at the ACSI book/app and the websites of individual sites you are interested in and see if they close in winter. Enjoy the trip, we'd like to return some day but probably a little later, around May when the flowers will be out.
May is veg growing season, so we will be stuck in the greenhouse with the odd week away.

Reactions: DBK

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Looking for a winter stopover and after this year's disaster in Spain thought of Sicily. Any idea of weather conditions in Jan, Feb, March?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
YukonJac spent a winter on Sicily if my failing memory is right. :)

Edit: Found it. The site she was on is one of the best on the island.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
These "info" sites are all very well but nothing beats practical personal experience! Ta anyway.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
These "info" sites are all very well but nothing beats practical personal experience! Ta anyway.
Possibly, but one-off experiences rather than averages can be misleading.
If someone asked me what the weather is like in Cornwall in August I'd say from my experience of three summer hols tenting there with two young kids: "Dreadful. Pees with rain every day".

Foo Fighter

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Magic
Exp
3 years with T4 Hitop
We spent 10 weeks touring Sicily & Italy this winter. There's plenty of campsites open as well as dedicated Sosta's. We took the ferry out of Genoa & into Palermo. 20 reasonably pleasant hours. Nice dog friendly cabin. No option to stay on deck like we'd hoped. Manic escape from ferry once it had docked!
We went counter clockwise around the island. Sticking to the coastal roads mainly. Once we reached Catania we turned inland and headed for the Mtns and other popular tourist hotspots. There was snow still at high elevations in mid Feb. We returned to Catania and finished our circuit. Taking the ferry from Messina to the mainland. 30 mins and still a manic escape once it docked. We had a fabulous time & lots of happy memories. The weather wasn't always kind in comparison to Southern Spain and Portugal. My favourite spot was Ragusa (Inspector Montalbano film locations) & Sarah's was Taormina. There's some absolutely stunning archeological sites which in my opinion shouldn't be missed.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The dog friendly cabin sounds good. What ferry company was that?

We drove all the way through Italy, there and back. A great adventure but would prefer the ferry if we do it again.

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Magic
Exp
3 years with T4 Hitop
GNV. Decent food & drink on board - in cafeteria or 'posh' restaurant.
The dog friendly cabin wasn't expected, as we were led to believe we could stay on deck. Their website led us up the proverbial garden path. A quick chat with the Purser who sorted us with a cabin rather than a recliner for us, and a kennel for the pooch.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back