Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi All,
All though my motorhome isn’t a self build it is a very good PVC of which I’ve had for just over 2 weeks. It is third hand and doesn’t have a warranty. Whilst away last week the shower tray cracked around the drain point and I also noticed several stress marks on the main floor. I have today removed the shower tray with a view to ordering a new one. Couple of questions for you and who better than those that have built their own.
Where is the best place to purchase a good quality tray?
Is there an alternative to moulded trays?
It was stuck down with a shed load of mastic which I think has contributed to the stress points, I.e. where no mastic was seems to be where the cracks are appearing. I would assume that it needs to sit perfectly flat?
Sorry for all the questions, I wanted to do it myself so I can start to get to know my van.
Many thanks
Darren

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The tray does need to be properly supported all over.
Is it a shaped tray specific to your motorhome ?
GRP Leisure feature regularly on here in comments and do a lot for shower trays, might be worth looking at.

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
The tray does need to be properly supported all over.
Is it a shaped tray specific to your motorhome ?
GRP Leisure feature regularly on here in comments and do a lot for shower trays, might be worth looking at.
It’s not shaped, I can find one from CAK tanks online shop. It has a frame it sits in but I just think that packing all that mastic underneath is necessary and does create some dead spots.
Darren

Deleted User
Is it a tray like one of these.

Which type it is, as stated above, it needs to be totally flat and built up with blocks of wood to achieve that rather than filling gap with a mastic or sealant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Derek Justice 01332 600825 makes leisure vehicle GRP { fibreglass shower trays } with a white gel coat on top.
{ Stronger than flimsy plastic }
or
Speedcoat is the traditional route to repair leisure vehicle shower trays.
A thick stippled type flexible sealant paint spayed on by trained technicians.
or
a DIY 1KG Cromapol tin of white sealant paint on ebay at £16.99p
Cromapol is a sealant flexible paint that has fibres in the paint that span small cracks
{ Brushed on at your own risk of success or failure }
Gives off fumes until cured so use in a well ventilated area { fan / windows open etc }

Shower drains can be strengthened by making a polo mint shaped thin plate to cover any stress cracks around the drain plug holes.
or
There is a good selection of leisure vehicle shower trays on ebay.

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Is it a tray like one of these.

Which type it is, as stated above, it needs to be totally flat and built up with blocks of wood to achieve that rather than filling gap with a mastic or sealant.
Thanks, I will have a look at the sizes, totally flat is how I will go.
Darren

OP
OP
Dazzler1969

Dazzler1969

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
S&L Atlanta PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Derek Justice 01332 600825 makes leisure vehicle GRP { fibreglass shower trays } with a white gel coat on top.
{ Stronger than flimsy plastic }
or
Speedcoat is the traditional route to repair leisure vehicle shower trays.
A thick stippled type flexible sealant paint spayed on by trained technicians.
or
a DIY 1KG Cromapol tin of white sealant paint on ebay at £16.99p
Cromapol is a sealant flexible paint that has fibres in the paint that span small cracks
{ Brushed on at your own risk of success or failure }
Gives off fumes until cured so use in a well ventilated area { fan / windows open etc }

Shower drains can be strengthened by making a polo mint shaped thin plate to cover any stress cracks around the drain plug holes.
or
There is a good selection of leisure vehicle shower trays on ebay.
Will call in the morning.
Thank you

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If I ever build another PVC then the shower will be made from welded aluminium chequer plate. Super strong and if silver isn't your desired finish, can be sprayed any colour to suit and with 2 drain holes

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm building one right now and couldn't find a supplier of the very weird custom size required. I did consider laying up my own fibreglass to the right size, but in the end have gone for wet room vinyl safety flooring, turned up at the corners and plastic welded, as it is much cheaper and much less effort. And you get a wide choice of colours and designs.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Quick update,
Contacted Derek Justice in Derby and dropped my tray to him yesterday. Be ready on Monday, a much stronger version on the flimsy plastic tray taken out and at £165 👍
can you please take some pictures before you fit it and when installed? Would really help others to see the quality

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If I ever build another PVC then the shower will be made from welded aluminium chequer plate. Super strong and if silver isn't your desired finish, can be sprayed any colour to suit and with 2 drain holes

I agree fully, why do they make motorhomes that cost Upto and over 100 grand and use twenty pence cheap bits of plastic for a shower tray.

Surely a stone one or aluminium one that weighs a little more and lasts for ever would be better.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back