LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know a lot of girls on here have been knitting and crotcheting poppies and the displays are starting to go up, JEN has knitted about 150 but might miss hers as we are going away.

55930F84-ECB0-4679-BE7B-194D31647ACB.jpeg
44075C63-BC1D-40A3-93C6-20E7085D5A6C.jpeg
76211086-3C4D-44CC-90D5-B56E17C28199.jpeg

These are at Nunthorpe Church but Great Ayton’ look great so they will follow.

Martin

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Seeing as we will be in Polch do the Germans do Poppies or will they be offended?
We will be wearing ours(y) and we have about 25 knitted ones left over to decorate the van;)

and no they don't do poppies, a couple of years ago we were there on the 11th and they were starting there festival season with a lunchtime p155 up, big stage and rock band in the square, didn't seem right to us.

Martin
As well as the normal red, which Liz has made several hundred, she is also producing a few purple that are in memory of all the animals.
Quite a few people have asked for purple this year on our two Supermarket stands in Hessle. View attachment 264949
OK that explains the purple ones near the horse in my photo(y)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Seeing as we will be in Polch do the Germans do Poppies or will they be offended?
I don't think they do poppies but I also don't think they'll be offended.
After all, the vast majority of Germans didn't want war any more than the English and they also lost husbands fathers and sons.

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
I am always concerned when I see enamel type jewellery being worn by people and being sold in Jewellers shops. I wonder if a donation is ever made by the store to the RBL and even if it is, does the person continue to give in later years once it has been purchased.

I am sure that the people above making crocheted poppies will give all the donations but how many businesses make profit from this?

My wife's Grandmother lost her first husband at Dieppe and she always bought and left a cross on the war memorial. After she died we have continued the tradition and make a donation every year.

The most important thing is certainly to wear a poppy but also to make sure that The Royal British Legion have the funds to continue and improve treatment and support for current servicemen and women and their families. They work very hard and deserve our financial support.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I am always concerned when I see enamel type jewellery being worn by people and being sold in Jewellers shops. I wonder if a donation is ever made by the store to the RBL and even if it is, does the person continue to give in later years once it has been purchased.

I am sure that the people above making crocheted poppies will give all the donations but how many businesses make profit from this?

My wife's Grandmother lost her first husband at Dieppe and she always bought and left a cross on the war memorial. After she died we have continued the tradition and make a donation every year.

The most important thing is certainly to wear a poppy but also to make sure that The Royal British Legion have the funds to continue and improve treatment and support for current servicemen and women and their families. They work very hard and deserve our financial support.
I am regularly asked for sparkling enamel type ones “like they have at M&S” they say, or other Supermarkets and shops. I always advise them to read what it says on the package. It usually says something like ‘all profits go to the RBL*’
It’s the little asterisk that you need to take note of because in small print somewhere it will explain how much.
Last year a well known Supermarket we collect in was selling mugs and shopping bags. I worked out that from a £4 mug sale 40p was given to the RBL. Does anyone really believe only 40p is made in profit?
I don’t think major retailers should use this time to make profits from it.
There are also numerous ‘military charities’ popping up at Remembrance time, I’ve never heard of most of them, though some are without doubt genuine, how does the public know who they are giving money to or what happens to it.
We have to display the charity number 219279 and stickers saying ‘Registered with the Fundraising Regulator’
If you don’t see these beware.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.

Mine was bought from the regimental shop and all funds go to the Earl Haig Fund. The RBL also sell various jewellery poppy pieces directly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back