Should we be worried? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I am a member of BioBank, as is my wife. We are both in our mid 70's. As part of a BioBank trial we have both recently used the AbC-19 [Covid 19] Antibody Test and we both came up negative. However, we both had our first Covid 19 vaccines at the end of January 21. I had the OAZ vaccine and my wife had the Pfizer jab. It is concerning that neither of us tested positive for antibodies. Are we or are we not protected against Covid 19? Do the vaccines actually work? Has the gap between our first jab and the second which we are yet to have been too long? Do we start hiding from the world again?

It's a bit long but if you read the blurb about the Antibody Test it suggests that it's very accurate and people can get certificates showing they have immunity if they test positive.

What do you think?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The test doesn't appear to be that good quite some margin or error.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am a member of BioBank, as is my wife. We are both in our mid 70's. As part of a BioBank trial we have both recently used the AbC-19 [Covid 19] Antibody Test and we both came up negative. However, we both had our first Covid 19 vaccines at the end of January 21. I had the OAZ vaccine and my wife had the Pfizer jab. It is concerning that neither of us tested positive for antibodies. Are we or are we not protected against Covid 19? Do the vaccines actually work? Has the gap between our first jab and the second which we are yet to have been too long? Do we start hiding from the world again?

It's a bit long but if you read the blurb about the Antibody Test it suggests that it's very accurate and people can get certificates showing they have immunity if they test positive.

What do you think?
I think you are just finding something to worry about, if you are both ok with no symptoms, don't do any testing, and just carry on as normal. (y) :sun::sun::sun:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The test doesn't appear to be that good quite some margin or error.

For this type of test the margin of error is actually quite good Jim, none are perfect.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I think you are just finding something to worry about, if you are both ok with no symptoms, don't do any testing, and just carry on as normal. (y) :sun::sun::sun:
We have been BioBank members since it's inception about 12 years ago and have taken part in many trials. We will be tested again in due course, hopefully after our second jabs have had time to take effect.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Ill still be taking lots of the social distance measures as a matter of habit for a long time I think , and so will many others.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have been BioBank members since it's inception about 12 years ago and have taken part in many trials. We will be tested again in due course, hopefully after our second jabs have had time to take effect.
Ok, what is biobank? Thought you meant you had some of these free kits sent out :doh: :unsure:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the antibody tests only work with antibodies above a certain level and after a few months they might have dropped to a level where they aren't detected even if some are still present there are also other cells in the immune system that mean that the body is able to react better and more quickly to a subsequent infection which would not show on an antibody test.
I have a friend who paid privately for a diy antibody test after the first jab and intends to pay privately for a lab one after the second to check his immunity. I personally can't see the point. If it shows immunity it doesn't mean it will last or how strong it is so it still makes sense to avoid risk taking.
If it's negative it doesn't mean there's no immunity it could be a low level of antibodies that aren't detected. Theres no facility for a second booster or any evidence of benefit as far as I know no evidence of benefit of an alternative vaccine and you won't get another on the NHS and can't buy privately.
I was double pfizered in January I treat it as a reassurance but still behave cautiously I wouldn't bother with a test as I can't see how it would be of any benefit ( different for you as you did it as part of a trial).

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp

What do you think?
I wouldn’t be too concerned right now. The antibody response is far higher after second jab. So I would wait until at least 3 weeks after second jab to perform the Antibody test.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
carolyn do you have any opinions please?
They are better than nothing and are more of a population screening tool, we should still all be behaving as though we might be infected and so is everyone we meet regardless of whether they’ve had the vaccine. You should only be doing the antigen test if you have no symptoms. If you have symptoms you need to do the PCR test.
If you do the antigen test and it’s positive then you probably have Covid now, it picks up active infection best, the higher your viral load the more likely you are to get a positive result. You need to do a PCR test as well as that is what can pick up the different strains.
If it’s negative, it might be a false negative but you should still be practising all the good social distancing, hand sanitising stuff plus masks anyway.

They will be useful for picking up outbreaks if a lot of the population were doing them twice a week but whether that’s cost effective I don’t know. Targeted test, track and trace is working in other countries so fingers crossed. I’m ever optimistic about science.

Basically practice makes perfect, the more often you swab yourself the better you get at doing it. There are loads of youtube videos!

It’s the best we’ve got for now to keep hospitals, vaccination clinics, doctors surgeries etc running.

That’s just a summary of my thoughts, I’m going to do it as if it helps MHRA and Public Health gather info on outbreaks then I’m glad to help. A negative test is not a licence to act like an idiot.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
They are better than nothing and are more of a population screening tool, we should still all be behaving as though we might be infected and so is everyone we meet regardless of whether they’ve had the vaccine. You should only be doing the antigen test if you have no symptoms. If you have symptoms you need to do the PCR test.
If you do the antigen test and it’s positive then you probably have Covid now, it picks up active infection best, the higher your viral load the more likely you are to get a positive result. You need to do a PCR test as well as that is what can pick up the different strains.
If it’s negative, it might be a false negative but you should still be practising all the good social distancing, hand sanitising stuff plus masks anyway.

They will be useful for picking up outbreaks if a lot of the population were doing them twice a week but whether that’s cost effective I don’t know. Targeted test, track and trace is working in other countries so fingers crossed. I’m ever optimistic about science.

Basically practice makes perfect, the more often you swab yourself the better you get at doing it. There are loads of youtube videos!

It’s the best we’ve got for now to keep hospitals, vaccination clinics, doctors surgeries etc running.

That’s just a summary of my thoughts, I’m going to do it as if it helps MHRA and Public Health gather info on outbreaks then I’m glad to help. A negative test is not a licence to act like an idiot.
carolyn the tests we did were not the antigen variety, they were antibody tests intended to prove or disprove that you have either had Covid 19 and subsequently developed antibodies, or that the vaccines had worked and caused you to developed antibodies. Neither of us has had Covid as far as we know, but we both had out first jabs in January, I had the OAZ and Lesley had the Pfizer.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
carolyn the tests we did were not the antigen variety, they were antibody tests intended to prove or disprove that you have either had Covid 19 and subsequently developed antibodies, or that the vaccines had worked and caused you to developed antibodies. Neither of us has had Covid as far as we know, but we both had out first jabs in January, I had the OAZ and Lesley had the Pfizer.
I do apologise, I got my threads in a muddle and thought Joy movan was asking about the ones that people were sending off for through the post. I know nothing about these but of course I am now going to look it up. Sorry about that.

I can only find a couple of papers, the latest was Nov 2020 and it says much the same as the BMJ one. I’m not worried at all and I will happily have my second AZ jab shortly. I expect it will give me pretty good immunity but I will still behave as though I might have it and as though everyone else might. It is still pretty new I don’t want us to lose all we’ve gained.

Thankyou for the link.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
If you're worried then I would think that the correct thing to do was to seek proper medical advice from a medical professional, ie doctor or pharmacist and not rely on opinions on here.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you're worried then I would think that the correct thing to do was to seek proper medical advice from a medical professional, ie doctor or pharmacist and not rely on opinions on here.
I think the people running the study should have issued some guidance with the test results.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I believe that Caroline is a fully qualified GP.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I do apologise, I got my threads in a muddle and thought Joy movan was asking about the ones that people were sending off for through the post. I know nothing about these but of course I am now going to look it up. Sorry about that.

I can only find a couple of papers, the latest was Nov 2020 and it says much the same as the BMJ one. I’m not worried at all and I will happily have my second AZ jab shortly. I expect it will give me pretty good immunity but I will still behave as though I might have it and as though everyone else might. It is still pretty new I don’t want us to lose all we’ve gained.

Thankyou for the link.
No need to apologies it may well have been me that misunderstood to whom or about which you were responding.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
carolyn is medically qualified and with regards to myself has given me more informative replies than my own doctor, on many issues. Unfortunately, I didn't make it clear that I was asking the same question for dorset Driver in case she didn't see the thread.

This Covid has us all in a strange place. My first made me ill. My second made me feel 21 again for a few days.... I wondered if they'd given me a placebo.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Dorset Diver
I had the OAZ vaccine 8th February and then biobank sent me the antibody test which I did on 18 March.
Mine produced a negative result too 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
No idea if its cause for concern or not but leaflet says don't worry so I don't.
Maybe they'll send us another ?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
No need to apologies it may well have been me that misunderstood to whom or about which you were responding.
No, it was me not you! I’d just been talking about the antigen tests with my youngest as well who is home with us trying to do his final year at Uni so I was doubly on the wrong track.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Dorset Diver
I had the OAZ vaccine 8th February and then biobank sent me the antibody test which I did on 18 March.
Mine produced a negative result too 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
No idea if its cause for concern or not but leaflet says don't worry so I don't.
Maybe they'll send us another ?
BioBank did ask if we had had jabs and when. I do hope they send another in about 4-5 weeks time when both Lesley and I will have had our second jabs and they have had time to take effect. When I get a negative I wonder about the effectiveness of the test and/or the jab.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
carolyn is medically qualified and with regards to myself has given me more informative replies than my own doctor, on many issues. Unfortunately, I didn't make it clear that I was asking the same question for dorset Driver in case she didn't see the thread.

This Covid has us all in a strange place. My first made me ill. My second made me feel 21 again for a few days.... I wondered if they'd given me a placebo.
movan. I bet Dorset is now confused :Eeek: :rofl:. Not sure what you had but if it managed to make you feel 21 again can I have a share of the next lot please :pray:

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Had my second jab early(ish) Monday morning. Unlike the first this one got me. I still feel really bad. Dull headache, abdominal pains, pains and tingling in my legs, sweats / flushes, brain fog, tired, bruised arm, backache, and I think someone kicked me in the right kidney. Now the tea has brewed I'm going back to my bed.

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
Probably best to phone your GP this morning for advise as it sounds pretty severe.
I have a friend here in Spain who had the Astra Zeneca and was okay with the first one but after the second one on the 23rd March she has severe joint pain and limited mobility. Her doctor is now beginning blood tests and investigations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back