Should it go ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
I'm sure like a lot of you I have a big 7.2m blue and white thing sitting outside and being used very little these days. I used to do 10,000 miles a year in it, some of which for work, the dreaded covid cut the miles down for a couple of years but were still at 55,700 miles after seven years, which seems to be unheard of for a motorhome. I'm now semi retired so the work issue has lessened. We don't like the cold weather so we go away for a part of the winter but need to be back in the UK for the summer to look after our holiday let, so not much time for motor homing anymore. But where do you sell a 2016 model with nearly 56,000 miles on the clock ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is not high mileage at all, only averages 8000 a year lots of folk on here do 8,000 to 10,000 miles a year, us included. Ours had done 35k ( a bit low because of Covid) when we got a trade in deal last year at 5 years old, dealers didn't bat an eyelid at the mileage, it was never mentioned by them.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Our 2012 Bailey has only done 47k odd. Mechanic says they’re barely run in at that mileage.
I don’t reckon your mileage will be any sort of issue if you decide to sell. Can’t help with dilemma I’m afraid but I hope it resolves how you want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't let anyone try to get you to reduce the price "because of the high mileage". When it's on the forecourt "these are designed to do high mileage, this is barely run in".
Our 2007 Swift has 135000 miles on it.

Jolak

Free Member
Nov 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 175
I'm new to this and quite possessive about my 2015 Majestic, but when I was shopping round for insurance quotes, one of them included fully comp cover for other drivers should I choose to rent it out. I didn't look at it too closely because I currently have no intention to do so. I've only had it on my driveway for a couple of weeks and I have been approached by a neighbour asking if I intended to hire it out - and he's the sort of bloke who would look after it and drive it sensibly. So there's always that option, although I accept it could have it's risks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Just sold mine on Gumtree. Guy from Ireland. He's flying over this weekend to collect it and hasn't even seen it. This was our 13th van in 38 years and like you wasn't using it as much as we'd like. May buy another but could try these hotel things for a while.
Good luck.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm new to this and quite possessive about my 2015 Majestic, but when I was shopping round for insurance quotes, one of them included fully comp cover for other drivers should I choose to rent it out. I didn't look at it too closely because I currently have no intention to do so.
I suggest you do look closely. Very few (none in my experience) include 'for hire or reward' as standard but at a substantially greater premium.
I've only had it on my driveway for a couple of weeks and I have been approached by a neighbour asking if I intended to hire it out - and he's the sort of bloke who would look after it and drive it sensibly. So there's always that option, although I accept it could WILL have it's risks.

Many new motorhomers have been tempted, prompting several discussions on here. The general consensus is that logistically and operationally it is fraught with risks. Merely driving a m/h and operating all the habitation equipment takes a fair bit of practice.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't let anyone try to get you to reduce the price "because of the high mileage". When it's on the forecourt "these are designed to do high mileage, this is barely run in".
Our 2007 Swift has 135000 miles on it.
If it was a delivery van it would have done over 300,000, much better to be used than sitting around for 6 months of the year.

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
We bought a motorhome a year ago through Motorhomedepot, and they were excellent to deal with from the buying side of things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back