Sewing machine recommendations for the MH please :) (1 Viewer)

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello everyone :) It's about a year now till we take the plunge and get our motorhome. One of the things I want to take with us is a sewing machine . I was wondering if anyone can recommend a machine that is fairly lightweight and also as quiet as possible for a sewing machine. I would imagine it will drive the other half up the wall in a small space if it sounds like the one I have now, a bit like a tractor lol Thanks :)

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I find ALDI products reasonable quality for the price. This one is described as compact with mains or battery power. The online buying is good with tracked parcel delivery.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Chrysalis / Mr Chrysalis your dept I believe.
There are so many on the market to choose from but I would avoid anything described as ā€˜miniā€™ or ā€˜portableā€™ as these are no more than toys IMO.

I would be looking for something like a Janome Gem which is fairly lightweight but is a perfectly capable machine. Several of the large brands have what they describe as lightweight machines. AFAIK Hobbycraft and John Lewis branded machines are actually made by Janome.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I love old sewing machines and have a couple of Bernina ones but theyā€™d be a bit on the heavy side for what you want perhaps. If you like something solid you might like a Singer Featherweight 221. Theyā€™re old but stitch very well.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
For something quiet I think you need electronic rather than electric. My recent Janome is electronic and is very much quieter than my old electric one.

Denise

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie

Or You could always visit My Partner's Sister's Alterations Shop in Buckley, Flintshire
'Taylored by Polcari', Mill Lane, Buckley.
Thanks :) Interesting that it can be battery operated too. Useful if I don;t have a hook up :)

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
I find ALDI products reasonable quality for the price. This one is described as compact with mains or battery power. The online buying is good with tracked parcel delivery.

Broken Link Removed
Thanks :) I never knew Aldi did home delivery! Interesting!

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
There are so many on the market to choose from but I would avoid anything described as ā€˜miniā€™ or ā€˜portableā€™ as these are no more than toys IMO.

I would be looking for something like a Janome Gem which is fairly lightweight but is a perfectly capable machine. Several of the large brands have what they describe as lightweight machines. AFAIK Hobbycraft and John Lewis branded machines are actually made by Janome.
Thanks :) I plan on doing a lot of sewing, so will need something up to the job. I'll have a look at that Janome Gem. Sounds good :)

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
I love old sewing machines and have a couple of Bernina ones but theyā€™d be a bit on the heavy side for what you want perhaps. If you like something solid you might like a Singer Featherweight 221. Theyā€™re old but stitch very well.
Thanks :) I don;t need too many bells or whistles, so an older machine would be a good idea :)

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
For something quiet I think you need electronic rather than electric. My recent Janome is electronic and is very much quieter than my old electric one.

Denise
THanks Denise :) Showing my ignorance here, but I had no idea there was a difference lol I always used an old treadle machine till I got a cheao Singer from Aldis many years ago. I have no idea how much they have developed! I'll take a look at electronic ones :)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I tend to do mainly clothes although I also do things like curtains but haven't done any since I got the Janome. The machine I've got you can actually buy a quilting table for which I think cost about Ā£45 extra - I bought it as it was cheaper with the machine than as an extra at a later date but suspect I'll never use it. I haven't got enough patience for patchwork and quilting!

Denise

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
I tend to do mainly clothes although I also do things like curtains but haven't done any since I got the Janome. The machine I've got you can actually buy a quilting table for which I think cost about Ā£45 extra - I bought it as it was cheaper with the machine than as an extra at a later date but suspect I'll never use it. I haven't got enough patience for patchwork and quilting!

Denise
I'd like to make clothes, but I think I'm a bit too slap dash to make anything 'wear worthy' lol I'd love to be able to do proper tailoring. It would be great fun to make serious style suits but in crazy fabrics :D

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I'd like to make clothes, but I think I'm a bit too slap dash to make anything 'wear worthy' lol I'd love to be able to do proper tailoring. It would be great fun to make serious style suits but in crazy fabrics :D

I'm not good enough for tailoring. I've made work suits in the past but haven't done anything like that for probably 35 years! My last job I didn't need to wear suits just smart trousers and a t-shirt and/or jumper so got out of the habit of making my own. I've only just started again fairly recently. Have almost finished a pair of trousers but I'm not really happy with them and may have to play around them them a bit before I finally give up on them and bin them (but I'll rescue the zip as I've got some similar coloured fabric to use.

Denise

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time

Broken Link Removed

Another vote for the Aldi machine, it is slow and a bit noisy but it works very well, it has a foot light, several different stitches it will buttonhole-manually. It works fine on batteries, will run from a foot pedal or a on/off switch and has reverse and will take normal cotton reels & bobbins and you can change the foot, it is also small and light, basically it will do everything that my big machine will do but not take up the space or the payload!

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Still to find some parts for this baby. This is what we have and Emma wants to use in the van, an old hand crank. Its a tad heavy though, don't think a flimsy single leg motorhome table would hold it safely.

100_0113.JPG

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi As above I use a Singer But later 1950ā€™s . The ā€˜kā€™ models eg 99K are not exactly light but are three quarter size so relatively compact and use modern bobins and needles. Electric and hand use and are amazing - some argue theyā€™re much better than modern machines for straight stitch. Iā€™ve also picked up pattern and zig zag, button hole and recently even a lightweight overlooking attachment so little it canā€™t do.

Really robust and Iā€™move mad black out curtains for mine as well as thick insulated window pads for the rear. A friend of mine even made new faux leather seat covers for his Land Rover with his.

Best of all work without electricity when needs must?

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not good enough for tailoring. I've made work suits in the past but haven't done anything like that for probably 35 years! My last job I didn't need to wear suits just smart trousers and a t-shirt and/or jumper so got out of the habit of making my own. I've only just started again fairly recently. Have almost finished a pair of trousers but I'm not really happy with them and may have to play around them them a bit before I finally give up on them and bin them (but I'll rescue the zip as I've got some similar coloured fabric to use.

Denise
Zips ..... now they could be my future nemesis lol

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Another vote for the Aldi machine, it is slow and a bit noisy but it works very well, it has a foot light, several different stitches it will buttonhole-manually. It works fine on batteries, will run from a foot pedal or a on/off switch and has reverse and will take normal cotton reels & bobbins and you can change the foot, it is also small and light, basically it will do everything that my big machine will do but not take up the space or the payload!
Thanks! The battery facility does seem like the perfect power source for motorhomers :)

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Still to find some parts for this baby. This is what we have and Emma wants to use in the van, an old hand crank. Its a tad heavy though, don't think a flimsy single leg motorhome table would hold it safely.

She's a beauty! I love the look of the older machines :)

View attachment 344024

OP
OP
Carolinej

Carolinej

Free Member
Jun 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi As above I use a Singer But later 1950ā€™s . The ā€˜kā€™ models eg 99K are not exactly light but are three quarter size so relatively compact and use modern bobins and needles. Electric and hand use and are amazing - some argue theyā€™re much better than modern machines for straight stitch. Iā€™ve also picked up pattern and zig zag, button hole and recently even a lightweight overlooking attachment so little it canā€™t do.

Really robust and Iā€™move mad black out curtains for mine as well as thick insulated window pads for the rear. A friend of mine even made new faux leather seat covers for his Land Rover with his.

Best of all work without electricity when needs must?
3/4 size and dual power sounds great! I've never sewn faux leather, but I would imagine it takes a lot more effort for the needle to go through it.

RobWid

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Exmouth (at the mo?)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2018
3/4 size and dual power sounds great! I've never sewn faux leather, but I would imagine it takes a lot more effort for the needle to go through it.

Hi Apparently a really sharp needle is needed. I was amazed when quilting my insulated window pads how well mine worked through two layers of bubble foil, old sleeping bag and a final thick decorative fabric.

I now also own a later 201 which is bigger but allows me to work more easily to a larger scale. The 201 allows you to drop the feed dog as well and so makes free sewing possible. a version of the 201 was apparently used by Rolls Royce for car seats.

So now have two and am struggling with which to sell!

Rob

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I'm looking for a sewing machine for swmbo in the MH. She uses a Brother 600 heavyweight at home. I was looking for a Janome jem as previously reccomended, though the cheap ones superceded.
options i'm looking at Ā£80-100
Brother LS14S Metal Chassis Sewing Machine
Singer Model 1507 Sewing Machine
Janome 219S Sewing Machine

about 5-6 kg
what would she use it for? not a clue
she has made hanging tidies on holiday with hand held machine, and simple repairs in past without a capable machine.
the battery lightweights not man enough
but i'm looking for something simple/ capable that can be left in the van just like the crockery or other tools. are any of these suitable?
Amazon product ASIN B07QHCJ8G9
Amazon product ASIN B001TLEHE4Amazon product ASIN B07B6KL7VZ

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Another vote for the Aldi machine

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
is a full sine wave inverter required? or will a cheap one do? (dont use EHU)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back