Seville & Granada (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Going on our first ever European tour now that we are BOTH retired 👍

We intend to go down the west coast of France then circumnavigate the whole of Spain, mostly visiting off the beaten track places. However, I would particularly like to see Seville and Granada and my initial searches for sites/overnight parking have not found any appealing options either close to the centres or just outside ☹️

Has anyone on here got any recommendations please? (We have a Swift 675 with bike rack, therefore 7.5m long so have to discount any good but small options). We don’t mind how far we might have to bus in and out (or maybe uber)!

Thank you 😊
Two photos of Marina at Gelves, one in the day, and the other at night.

20230512_135337-1.jpg

20230513_223950.jpg

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Or retire and tour Spain , we are doing two six week tours , first starting in late April and the second starting in late August . May take in bits of Portugal as well .
We are in Spain now.

We flew, on a very, erm, interesting easyJet flight.

We came very close to an “unscheduled stop”. Thanks to pi55 heads wrestling with crew over a litre bottle of vodka being passed around.

I really do love driving here over flying

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have just left Córdoba, also preferring it to Seville but I am glad I managed to get a ticket to the Alcaraz in Seville.
Here is my post about using both Uber and the bus to get from Gelves into centre Seville.
Post in thread 'Who said Spain was rammed and there was nowhere to stay?'
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...there-was-nowhere-to-stay.300160/post-6092987

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 9, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Since 2016
Don't miss out stunning Ronda. A must see place. Sort of halfway between Seville and Granada. Great little campsite Camping El Sur about 1.5 km away. Has a really good restaurant frequented by locals. Downhill walk to Ronda followed by a bit of uphill to the magnificent bridge spanning the gorge. If you don't fancy the long slog back up the hill there is a taxi rank by the bull ring 12 Euros back to campsite.

IMG20240406162529.jpg

IMG20240406161447.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We used Camping Villsom for Seville. Bus Stop nearby direct into city. Nice enough site for a few days. Granada is a must do, but have not done that in the MH.

Puerto Gelves. Very good cheap Aire on the port. On search for sights. Short bus trip to Seville.

Reina Isabel for Granada. Search for sites. Tight to park but doable in your van. Short bus trip into Granada.
Have used all of these, would recommend
You need to book tickets for the Alhambra weeks in advance.
Got our tickets via campsite, Reina Isabel, cheaper than online too, for the following day. If you are thinking of a meal out in the evening from Isabel wait till after 8pm all we could find was a kebab shop 🤣 it was lovely though all the nice looking restaurants were just starting to open when we were on our way back to the van.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Don't miss out stunning Ronda. A must see place. Sort of halfway between Seville and Granada. Great little campsite Camping El Sur about 1.5 km away. Has a really good restaurant frequented by locals. Downhill walk to Ronda followed by a bit of uphill to the magnificent bridge spanning the gorge. If you don't fancy the long slog back up the hill there is a taxi rank by the bull ring 12 Euros back to campsite.

View attachment 885231

View attachment 885232
We went to Ronda too but stayed on the new aire on the edge of town. 18 euros for first 24 hours which includes nice showers, toilets and EHU. Washing machines 4.5 euro.
After that charged at 4.5 euros per 6 hours which is nice as you can stay on and not be charged for a whole day. Seeing the bridge is the most touristy thing to do and the space to view is limited. So we arrived midday and relaxed all afternoon doing our chores including bedding washing. The following morning walking in early to beat the coach parties. Just paid the extra 4.50 to stay on. Take a ticket at barrier entry and pay at machine inside office to leave.
Level walk to old town and bridge.
Lidl almost next door and lovely views

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Currently in Zamora and given the mileages I'm covering, I'm wondering whether to skip Seville and head for Cordoba to place less pressure on my schedule. All I seem to be doing atm is eat sleep and drive. Too many suicidal insects as well. I need a bulldozer rather than windscreen wipers, there's so many of 'em.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Currently in Zamora and given the mileages I'm covering, I'm wondering whether to skip Seville and head for Cordoba to place less pressure on my schedule. All I seem to be doing atm is eat sleep and drive. Too many suicidal insects as well. I need a bulldozer rather than windscreen wipers, there's so many of 'em.
Cordoba was lovely 😍

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Cordoba more manageable especially as a nice walk from the aire along wide pavements between the Zoo and the Botanical Gardens. The aire has a looky looky man who got 5 euros out of me but I am not used to haggling and I made a rooky mistake of picking up my heavy euro coins purse. I noticed a Spanish guy arrive later and carefully got some coins from his pocket out of sight and literally dropped them in as a back hander.
It was lovely to be able to easily walk back in after dark and slowly peramble in the warm air as the Spanish do.
However, I have not been to Granada or the Alhambra so I did want to see the Alcaraz at Seville.
We are staying at least 2 nights most places and are taking 4 weeks.

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
The Seville Feria is on this week. Space is tight but it is well worth a visit if you like horses, carriages and Iberian beauties in stunning costumes. We are here until Tuesday and then off to Toledo.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hopefully there'll be a gap at Gelves tomorrow. Quite a few turned up too late here at Caceres aire today.

What is it with these Spanish bugs? I've cleaned the windscreen twice today. Do they think I'm a branch office of "Dignitas"?
Caceres was full when we arrived but, after a hint on here, we went to Trujillo which turned out to be a great place to walk around.

Dec 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Just a few spaces left when I arrived at Gelves just after mid-day. Boy is it hot though. 32C. Bad start to the day when I backed into a short bollard adjacent to the service point that was out of my cameras view and the early sun dazzled the mirrors. Resplendant with some gaffer tape at the moment.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Just a few spaces left when I arrived at Gelves just after mid-day. Boy is it hot though. 32C. Bad start to the day when I backed into a short bollard adjacent to the service point that was out of my cameras view and the early sun dazzled the mirrors. Resplendant with some gaffer tape at the moment.
Badge of honour 🎖

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
cyberyacht , this is our route north, currently overnight at Uña on the Sierras de Cuenca watching the eagles/vultures not sure which 🙂. Aiming for Santander Monday 22. Decidedly cooler here, especially first thing in the morning.
813B5633-036F-48CD-97CC-2ED79E2562BD.jpeg

Mar 19, 2020
south of France
Funster No
MH
1991 swift kontiki
Exp
4years

We intend to go down the west coast of France then circumnavigate the whole of Spain, mostly visiting off the beaten track places. However, I would particularly like to see Seville and Granada and my initial searches for sites/overnight parking have not found any appealing options either close to the centres or just outside ☹️

Has anyone on here got any recommendations please? (We have a Swift 675 with bike rack, therefore 7.5m long so have to discount any good but small options). We don’t mind how far we might have to bus in and out (or maybe uber)!

Thank you 😊
If you want to visit the big Moorish castle in Granada , book your tickets now as they are almost impossible to get on the day. If you like all things Roman visit the town of Merida near portugeuse border in spain. have a great trip

Jun 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
We just returned from visiting both. We stayed at Camping Villsom for Seville. It’s a friendly campsite with slightly tired facilities but we really enjoyed it. The bus stop is right outside and costs 1.75 euros in to Seville, and runs every half hour during the day and then hourly in the evening.
In Granada we stayed at Camping Granada, which is just outside at Peligros. It’s very easy to access just off the autoroute, and was again a small friendly site with good facilities. And a fabulous view across Granada and the mountains. There is a bus from Peligros straight in to Granada, but we were told this route did not accept dogs, and we had our small terrier with us, so the campsite booked us a taxi in (18 euros) and we grabbed our own taxi back again later (metered and only 10.8 euros). Peligros has a big Mercadona within walking distance of the campsite which was useful too.

OP
OP
Purrfecttune
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Your mishap has made Julie feel slightly less sick as she thought it was only her that could have a crunch.
Our second day we stopped for petrol and she pulled into a rather narrow, curved space next to the pump.
When she pulled away, she ripped off part of the side bumper either side of the hab door and scraped several lines across the door on the rather large concrete base for the pump that was just in her blind spot ☹️
Only cosmetic, but right where she see’s it every time she enters the motor home.

Last edited:

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Well, you've had some good advise. Cordoba is outstanding. The others great to visit as well. If you have the time, I would add Cadiz as its close enough to Saville. One of the oldest cities in Europe. Havana, in Cuba was modelled on Cadiz I believe.

Enjoy

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972

Thank you 😊
ATTENTION all prospective 'El Hambra ' visitors !! The grounds/pathways etc ,were NOT conducive for 'WHEELCHAIRS ' when i took my Wife there !! WE had to cancel after trying the grounds !!

Aug 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
detleffs

Thank you 😊
For Granada. Book well in advance and use the Alhambra Parking for simplicity if you only want to do the Alhambra and have a walk around the city. They do release some tickets online the evening before if you cannot predict your dates but it’s a risky approach. It’s 5 mins walk to the Palace then 10-15 mins into the City.
For Seville. Booking essential for Cathedral and Alcazar. If you are willing to risk it, the free Aire at Castell de Guzman is lovely with great views over the city. It’s 10 mins walk to a bus to the City. There are about 15 spaces.

Oct 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Alpa

Thank you 😊
Stay at Gelves for Sevill and in the Alhambra car park for Granada

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Booking essential for Cathedral and Alcazar.

Maybe we got lucky but no queues whatsoever at Alcazar after about 4.30pm (open till 7pm) whereas huge crowds in the morning many of them looked like tour buses/groups - visited in May. Got tickets on the door.

Dec 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Have finished a packed day. Bus in then Plaza de España followed by the Cathedral then round the Alcazar. Stopped for a quick bite and a cold beer before getting the Metro and bus back. Bit manic, it being Feria. Lots of bright trad dresses in carriages. On to Cordoba tomorrow via Alcampo for more dinosaur juice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back