Sending V5 to DVLA? Use Special Delivery. (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I had to re-submit our V5 to the DVLA recently after they didn't revise it correctly following up-plating. I sent it by 1st Class Signed For post and got a certificate of posting and tracking number.

Royal Mail 'lost' it.

More likely it was nicked somewhere within the Royal Mail system, given that a spare log book might be handy to some people, and the thieves might be substantially rewarded. Having mentioned this to our up-plating centre I was told that they've lost count of how many documents they've had to re-send to DVLA because of them mysteriously disappearing.

On this occasion, because I was having an error corrected, DVLA waived the £25 replacement fee. If I'd been charged this fee, Royal Mail would not have compensated me, because their Signed For service doesn't cover you for 'consequential loss'.

However, their Special Delivery service does. Maybe worth paying the extra few quid for? I thought it worth passing on to others.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't even get me started on trying to post mobile phones sold on eBay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I always send anything to the DVLA by special delivery, and check its been signed for as well.

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
During my recent 5 month fight with DVLA to get the V5 for my motorhome, I was told by a DVLA employee " any mail sent by special, recorded or signature required is signed for in bulk at the sorting office a couple of miles away" they also added "mail loss has become a big problem"

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
During my recent 5 month fight with DVLA to get the V5 for my motorhome, I was told by a DVLA employee " any mail sent by special, recorded or signature required is signed for in bulk at the sorting office a couple of miles away" they also added "mail loss has become a big problem"

Mail loss is as likely to be caused by DVLA staff dumping it to avoid work as anything else

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Makes sense.
They must receive hundreds of 'signed for' envelopes daily and the receiving staff would still be signing for individual letters when the next days batch arrived.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The DVLA central sorting office will get it wrong...more than occasionally.
Post for a particular dept will accidentally get sent to the wrong dept (most likely in a different building) and will simply be ignored and 'filed' (read as 'thrown in a bag') which may be why letters etc get 'lost' so often.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back