Self-levelling system jacks work in pairs? (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2018
Thinking of getting a self-levelling system fitted to moho but I read that the jacks operate in pairs "to avoid twisting the chassis". Now, if the moho is down, for example, on the nearside front wheel how can operating the jacks in pairs correct the slope? If you are down at one corner, the chassis is twisted and operating the appropriate jack alone would untwist it. So is operating jacks in pairs a problem or not in real-life operation?

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
There are 4 jacks, but 4 possible moving pairs. Only one pair will move at any time to prevent twist.

If on uneven ground without the rams, your suspension is preventing chassis twist. The rams are not sprung, which is why only one pair can operate at a time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That's why it's called a self levelling system because the brain box in the system has a set point of what level is and it adjusts the pressure in each pair jack as it levels to maintain what it understands as level from that set point in systems brain box.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
They level automatically. Ours all go down to the ground which I expect give the system the gradient which it needs to level out. They then raise the vehicle up the required amount on each jack (I think at the same time) and then do a bit of ā€˜fine tuningā€™ at the end to get it exactly level.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
A pair of jacks reach the ground and take a small amount of weight then stop. Another pair of jacks do the same. At this point all the jacks will be at different extends. Then, a pair of jacks level side to side as a pair, then a pair level front to back as a pair.

That's how our HPC system does it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mrjenben

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
I think it avoids twisting because it applies equal pressure to the jacks in pairs.

So if one wheel was down originally there will be less load on that corner because the chassis will transfer some of the load to the opposing wheel.

Applying the jacks in pairs mean that it will effectively raise the lower wheel first and take any twist out of the chassis until the load is even across the pair.

They never apply pressure to an individual jack at any point of the autolevelling.

If youā€™re on a diagonal slope then the pressures will be equal but by operating say the front pair and then the side of the tilt then one jack common to both will raise more, effectively raising that corner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Dec 5, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you everybody, that explains things and is very helpful. I notice nobody recommended following Mr Punch's advice!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back