Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class Itineo
Exp
Since 2016
Anyone heard of such a thing? We're thinking of hitting the slopes in the MoHo and was looking for something to keep the kids warm whilst traveling (habitation area doesn't get warm with cab heating ), and also as a back-up to keep warm for our return from the great outdoors and prevent pipes freezing etc. any advice please (don't play in yello snow, know that one already )

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Our Truma runs when we're driving no problems, though I imagine you'll use a lot of gas.

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Noely

Have a look at the Eberspacher airtronic heaters or the Webasto equivalent. They are both warm air blown heaters running on diesel and I believe that can be used whilst the van is being driven. They are a little noisy (like a small jet engine) when they first start (even with inlet and exhaust silencers fitted), but they soon quieten down. The glow plugs draw a few amps when first starting, so you will need either solar panels or an electric hookup to avoid a flat battery. I believe they are available in 2kw and 4kw outputs

Cheers

Trevor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a Webasto fitted on our MH and we find it a brilliant system. Not at all noisy either, a little on start up as Trevor mentioned above but nothing serious. I believe you can run them whilst travelling like the latest Truma gas systems but we have never needed that level of heat, cab heating is always enough for us. When we had trouble with our Truma system a couple of years ago the Webasto was invaluable, likewise when we have been running low on gas. The Webasto has never missed a beat; a great piece of kit.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Our Westy California has a separate floor level heater vent for the rear passengers with their own controls accessible above the rear seats to adjust rear air temperature and fan. Keeps the rear passengers toasty warm while on the road.

If Westfalia and VW could incorporate that feature into a campervan more than 14 years ago it should be something that modern MoHo converters and Fiat can easily do today. If only they knew about the customer demand, eh Noely?

It also has a 2Kw Eberspacher diesel fired heater. That heater is economical on site although a bit noisy on start up as has been said. Start up also draws a lot of amps from the leisure battery. My next Van will have diesel fired heating (an optional extra) instead of the standard gas fired Truma.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The Webasto Evo Dual top in our MH runs on diesel and has a maximum output of 6 kW - more than enough for a MH.

The user instructions say "Heating the cabin and/or water while driving the vehicle is possible and allowed"

Our dog likes the heating on while we drive, as the hot air blows onto her bed.

We frequently leave the heating on all day, whilst not on EHU - however we do have a solar panel.

Diesel consumption is not excessive ... 0.66 l/hour @6 kW, 0.19 l/hour @1.5 kW.
You can hear the fan from outside, but it is not obtrusive.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Swift Sundance. Skiing.

Are you sure?
Don't count on your water system staying frost free for very long. I think you will have an eventful first trip.
Make sure you stay on a site with EHU and a shower block.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Noely

Noely

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class Itineo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks guys, lots to look at. We will be on EHU on site, so suppose can run heating when out.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We too have the Webasto diesel heater and very happy with it. It's whisper quiet and heats the motorhome up a treat. However, after recently fitting a battery monitor and being able to measure the draw on my batteries from various habitation services when NOT on hook up I was surprised to find that whilst the Webasto only took 1.3 Amp's when heating water (after an initial 6.0 - 15.6 Amps over the first 90 seconds at start up). The heater itself was drawing between 8.0 - 12.0 Amps depending on where the thermostat was set. (We found max far too hot and at around 8.0 Amps the motorhome soon became very comfortable, and we could switch the heater off as the insulation in the motorhome was very good anyway.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If you are on EHU get an oil fired radiator.

Exactly what I do. A little 700W radiator is enough to keep my little van warm through the night and it's silent unless the thermostat starts clicking on/off.

I've got a Webasto Air Top 2000 diesel heater but it's a bit noisy to run overnight - not necessarily the fault of the heater, more down to the small dimensions of my van. I've used it while driving quite a bit too - it even helps defrost all the windows on a chilly morning!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back