Self build on a budget. Solar panels??? (1 Viewer)

IndieandMeera

Free Member
Apr 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hey! We're converting a Mercedes Sprinter to live in, under time pressure and on a budget and we are very new to all of it. Does anyone have any recommendations for solar panels that will do the job but also not break the bank? Or could anyone give us any pointers as to what to keep an eye out for while browsing online? Like what do I need to make sure it says in the description of the solar panels?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi & welcome

I bought 2 of these
.jpg

from Hi-tech solar in Harlow ,Essex.Off top of my head at the time I think they were £140 the pair.
Run thorugh a victron 75/15 to leisure battery

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Hey! We're converting a Mercedes Sprinter to live in, under time pressure and on a budget and we are very new to all of it. Does anyone have any recommendations for solar panels that will do the job but also not break the bank? Or could anyone give us any pointers as to what to keep an eye out for while browsing online? Like what do I need to make sure it says in the description of the solar panels?
see greg virgoe videos, he has a belting sprinter conversion, explains his full electrics and solar etc in detail.
Will give you a good start

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I used these..................................https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/186-100W-dual-battery-solar-kit-for-camper--boat-with-10A-dual-battery-controller-and-5m-cable.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjuqDBhAGEiwAdX2cj5x-1XqxUT-jzjwu33-SHSG8649KkHTBihABJqORBDq0vUGjWvzNyBoCka0QAvD_BwE

OP
OP
I

IndieandMeera

Free Member
Apr 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Thank you for your responses!
We have another follow up question that may be a silly one... If we get a solar pannel kit that comes with a battery wich is 12v and 20ah is that good enough? Or, if we get a different leisure battery with a higher ah, and wire that one instead, would it be compatible?

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
You need to assess what capacity (Ah) for your needs by thinking what loads you are going to place on the battery.
Very exciting

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
For reference a 20ah battery would be enough for minimal led lighting and phone charging. Very little.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You need to really sit down and work out what your going to be using in the way of power daily with your lighting, heating, radio, phone and laptop charging and other gadgets your likely to use, and add in some extra for running things like your water pump, loo flush and the likes. Once you have done that then you will have some idea of what size battery you require and the solar to charged it.

If as you say, you planning to live in your van, then your battery usage to run your day to day needs is going to require ideally a minimum of 200Ah battery capacity and come the winter months you may well even struggle to get by with that and 400Ah would be nearer the mark. The same goes with your solar panels, in that you will need enough solar to charge your batteries in the winter months with the shorter low sun days and days when the weather is bad.

If you intend to stay on sites with 240v hookup, then your need for solar and larger batteries is obviously a lot less.

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Bimble solar has been my go-to for my last two vans and a narrowboat. They have some excellent quality used (euro/american) insurance write off panels at very competitive prices. Regards Andy.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
If on a budget I would seriously consider a battery to battery charger over solar panels. You can always drive but the sun doesn't always shine. Especially in England. 🌧️⛈️

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Looks like they got their answer, two posts then not seen for a month and a half. 🥴

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back