Seems good value Vodafone PAYG MiFi (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I have a 40GB deal on my phone with Vodafone which includes unlimited calls and texts and I can tether my laptop to use all my data allowance without throttling. I was wondering what advantage a MiFi would give me, is it simply that I could pick up a stronger signal in some weak areas or are there other advantages ?

Doubt it makes much difference with the signal strength. It all depends how you want to use your mobile phone and data access.

For us, it is more convenient to leave the MiFi on all the time at home (since we no longer have a landline - as mentioned earlier) and similarly when we take it away with us in the MoHo. The MiFi unit we leave plugged into a power source (mains USB plug at home, 12v USB in MoHo) so the internal battery does not go flat. If I am out and about with the mobilephone, we still have internet access for laptop etc. This arrangement suits our needs better.

Also, when using tethering it puts additional demands on the cellphone's battery, not all Telcos permit tethering when roaming with all of their packages - though many do. We also found that when tethering with an iPhone, if the tether is not used for a while, to save battery usage it automatically disconnects the tether function requiring it to be reset when next needed. I have not found this to be the case with Android phones. If you are a large data user, it is often cheaper to use a data only SIM package in a MiFi unit or a USB dongle than to use the data allowance you buy bundled with your phone contract.

Hope this may be helpful.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
@Minxy Girl
3 SIM arrived this morning in the post - very quick service! Just tried in Voda MiFi. It is locked!!!!!!! However, it automatically invites you to enter an Unlock Code. Presume this is obtainable from Vodafone. Not important to me just yet as I normally use Vodafone, but I will ask about it in a Vodafone shop when next near one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
@Minxy Girl
3 SIM arrived this morning in the post - very quick service! Just tried in Voda MiFi. It is locked!!!!!!! However, it automatically invites you to enter an Unlock Code. Presume this is obtainable from Vodafone. Not important to me just yet as I normally use Vodafone, but I will ask about it in a Vodafone shop when next near one.

You may be able to buy an unlock code off eBay or similar for much less that Vodafone will charge. It only takes a few mins.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
You may be able to buy an unlock code off eBay or similar for much less that Vodafone will charge. It only takes a few mins.
Vodafone have never charged me for an unlock code for items bought on contract, but not available until 30 days after purchase because they offer to swop the device/handset in this period if you are not happy with it. I did this once (earlier this year), when I bought a new iPhone SE for SWMBO, but she did not like it and I exchanged it for a Samsung S8 - incredibly this was cheaper! I have never sought to unlock a PAYG Voda device, but will enquire when next in a Voda Shop.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Vodafone have never charged me for an unlock code for items bought on contract, but not available until 30 days after purchase because they offer to swop the device/handset in this period if you are not happy with it. I did this once (earlier this year), when I bought a new iPhone SE for SWMBO, but she did not like it and I exchanged it for a Samsung S8 - incredibly this was cheaper! I have never sought to unlock a PAYG Voda device, but will enquire when next in a Voda Shop.

Not wanting to start a debate amongst officianados but I've been using an iPhone 6S recently to try and get used to it for my work. I still much prefer my Samsung S7.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl
If you have a 'history' (ie current PAYG or contract) with Vodafone you can request an unlock code FOC - details here:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks. That is really helpful. You seem to know your way around both the Vodafone and the 3 Network websites. Did/do you work in the Teleco business?
Nope :D ... just research and having had lots of mifis (used to do some buying and selling in the past) I found out how stuff worked so I could advise others. I did an info sheet which is in the resource section on this forum which may prove useful but its a while since I updated it so tariff etc details are out of date now but the basic premise is still correct.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back