Seems good value Vodafone PAYG MiFi (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Seems good value - PAYG Vodafone R218 Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot

Vodafone UK are presently offering their R218 Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot device on PAYG for just £25.
See:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/dongles-and-mobile-wi-f...

The webpage says:

"Buy the R218 4G Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot for £25, and get 6GB data included – plus you can add a Pay as you go data pack of your choice. Ranging from 250MB to 15GB, and valid for 90 days, you can also use your UK data in our Pay as you go Europe Zone [PDF: 677KB]".

However, I understand Vodafone are currently shipping their new R218 Mobile Wi-Fi device pre-loaded with 15GB/90 days, which is same you would pay for 15GB/90days data top-up. This makes the device FOC and worth getting if PAYG and 15GB/90 days meets your needs. You can of course top-up earlier if your data use exceeds this.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Is it unlocked?

Sorry do not know. You will need to check with Vodafone. Not a problem for me as Vodafone have the only reliable 4G service where we live and at the location in Spain where we spend several months each year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I think OFCOM may have tightened up the rules on Telcos. When I got a new Samsung S8 on contract from Vodafone a few months ago it was locked to Vodafone. I was told it could not be unlocked for 30 days because they now offer the facility to change your handset within 30 days for another model if you are not happy with it. After 30 days I applied on-line for the unlock code and received this within a couple of days. Just followed the instructions to unlock without problem.

I also have a 3 MiFi bought on PAYG and as this was an outright purchase it came unlocked. I think it very likely that the Vodafone PAYG MiFi on outright purchase is also shipped unlocked. The only way to know for sure is to buy one!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Vodafone do lock their devices to their network and it is expensive to get a third-party unlock code as there are very few who can allegedly do it, so the best way is to put on the minimum PAYG you can, use if for 30 days then ask for the code but the device must still be on their network (ie current contract or PAYG) for them to do this so you 'might' have to buy another 30 days if the one you picked is limited to that.

I bought a 'new' one off Ebay and put £5 PAYG on it which lasts for 90 days, so when I get to day 31 I'll ask for the unlock code.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I just purchased a 30day 30GB on month contract £21:25 4G data sim Vodafone.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Just ordered one from Vodafone, mainly so that I have a spare when out in MoHo for long periods. No unlock problem, as already use Voda data SIM. Took several attempts on-line with Voda. Looks as if their system is currently overloaded for orders. Currently out of stock, but delivery promised in 1-2 weeks.

I have a 50GB Vodafone. £20+VAT Per month

They say they cannot cap the device and that's where I have had issues.

Very surprised that you managed to get 50 GBytes for £20 from Vodafone. I am paying £30 a month for 50 GBytes and this is what Voda is presently advertising. You should have no problem setting a data usage cap if you go on-line to your MyVodafone Account and set it yourself. Worked for me.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just ordered one from Vodafone, mainly so that I have a spare when out in MoHo for long periods. No unlock problem, as already use Voda data SIM. Took several attempts on-line with Voda. Looks as if their system is currently overloaded for orders. Currently out of stock, but delivery promised in 1-2 weeks.

Very surprised that you managed to get 50 GBytes for £20 from Vodafone. I am paying £30 a month for 50 GBytes and this is what Voda is presently advertising. You should have no problem setting a data usage cap if you go on-line to your MyVodafone Account and set it yourself. Worked for me.

Been to hell and back with Vodafone over the issue.

I cannot set a cap, but mine is on Business. Not sure of thats why?

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Been to hell and back with Vodafone over the issue.

I cannot set a cap, but mine is on Business. Not sure of thats why?

Don't have a business account. That may well be the explanation.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They do special offers from time to time. That's how I got the same £20 + VAT deal - but it's only for the first year.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just on the subject of tethering. I have recently got a deal with Tesco Mobile - 6gb a month for a reasonable price.

I was concerned at the amount of data I was using when tethered ( UK only ), hundreds of megabytes in half an hour or so.

According to the lady I spoke to at Tesco this is because, when tethered, my phone and laptop both maintain a continuous internet link whether you are actually using it or not.

I am currently looking for a way to slow things down!

Paul

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Must be back in stock! Ordered Monday, arrived today (Wednesday). SIM sent separately by Royal Mail. Has 15 GByte data for 90 days, but date starts when SIM shipped not when first used!!!

Do not have an alternative SIM to check if unlocked. If manage to borrow one from a friend will report back.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Must be back in stock! Ordered Monday, arrived today (Wednesday). SIM sent separately by Royal Mail. Has 15 GByte data for 90 days, but date starts when SIM shipped not when first used!!!

Do not have an alternative SIM to check if unlocked. If manage to borrow one from a friend will report back.
Just order a free sim from Three with 200mb of data on ... (y)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004

Just to be sure I'm up to speed on this, the Vodafone R218 Mobile Wi-Fi is back in stock. Does it have twin aerial sockets?

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Just order a free sim from Three with 200mb of data on ... (y)

Checked on-line at 3 website, but could not find any "free" data SIMs on offer.

Just to be sure I'm up to speed on this, the Vodafone R218 Mobile Wi-Fi is back in stock. Does it have twin aerial sockets?

No it does not have any aerial sockets. It is a Vodaone badged Huawei unit. My other MiFi is also Huawei, but 3 Network badged. I have had this for around 3 years. It has twin aerial sockets. I bought an external twin connect aerial to use with it, but found it made absolutely no difference to performance anywhere I have tried to use it!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
No it does not have any aerial sockets. It is a Vodaone badged Huawei unit. My other MiFi is also Huawei, but 3 Network badged. I have had this for around 3 years. It has twin aerial sockets. I bought an external twin connect aerial to use with it, but found it made absolutely no difference to performance anywhere I have tried to use it!
OK, I've got a similar vintage (or older) Huawei on 3 which only has one socket. It is improved by the addition of the aerial, but I've not noticed 4g reception much in the past, but did receive 4g this last weekend on site near Taunton. Quite impressed. So I guess I don't really need a new one, but if I did see a bargain with twin sockets on Voda, it would give me options, particularly abroad.

Deleted User
Checked on-line at 3 website, but could not find any "free" data SIMs on offer.

I thought that until recently when we camped at a remote spot in the Yorkshire Dales with no Vodafone signal on my phone and no signal on my 3 Huawei mifi until I attached the aerial, which is not one of the fixed ones, and when placed in the right position, stuck to the window, managed to get a reasonable signal.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
OK, I've got a similar vintage (or older) Huawei on 3 which only has one socket. It is improved by the addition of the aerial, but I've not noticed 4g reception much in the past, but did receive 4g this last weekend on site near Taunton. Quite impressed. So I guess I don't really need a new one, but if I did see a bargain with twin sockets on Voda, it would give me options, particularly abroad.

I was with 3, but had erratic connection where we live and this was not improved by the plug-in aerial. Vodafone installed a new mast near our village about a year ago and have had good 4G service since then - so much so that we have discontinued our BT landline/broadband and find we have all the capacity we need with a 50 GByte monthly Vodafone data SIM and unlimited voice/text on our mobile phone. This also has the bonus for us of having only one UK number to contact us whether at home, travelling in the MoHo or when we are elsewhere in Europe. (Very much hoping Brexit does not scupper this for us!)

We spend several months each year in one locality in Spain and get good 4G there on Vodafone Spain when roaming with our MiFi and also for voice calls on our mobile handset, with calls being within our unlimited calling bundle. It costs family and friends calling from the UK no more as they are calling a UK number and these are free for us to receive. A win-win for a change and saving around £30 a month with no UK landline/broadband.

We also found that 3 gave a 4G data signal in major UK cities, but more usually 3G in more rural areas. This may have improved in the 12 months since we left 3. However, when roaming in Europe with 3 we never got better than 3G, even though the Telco with whom they were partnering in Spain and in France had a 4G service in the same locality. My suspicion is that the roaming deal 3 had established with the local Telco restricted the service deliberately.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We ran out of data last week. Eventually got through to Amhed in Mumbai or wherever, and he offered me 40GB for £14.00 per month/two year contract. No brainer really.

Been happy with Three thus far, Ahmed said Id been with Three longer than he'd worked for them. We have two Huawei routers, one which takes an aerial in poor reception areas and another which is 4G when nearer larger conurbations.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
That's all good info Millcourt, thanks. We have similar issues and findings, no 4g in France so far, except for 4g I think at the campsite at Blaye. 3 receptions over most of our european travels have been good, and my present sim seems ever-lasting. We stay on our son's field in the south-west of France (Gascony)however, where the reception is very poor for 3 or any provider, but his sat broadband system is expensive and runs out of data each month. I thought I could try a twin aerial mifi attached to the house roof, to supplement this data shortfall. No chance of 4g of course, but I can get 2 or 3 bars on the Huawei from the van, seems to work better than his mobiles.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's all good info Millcourt, thanks. We have similar issues and findings, no 4g in France so far, except for 4g I think at the campsite at Blaye. 3 receptions over most of our european travels have been good, and my present sim seems ever-lasting. We stay on our son's field in the south-west of France (Gascony)however, where the reception is very poor for 3 or any provider, but his sat broadband system is expensive and runs out of data each month. I thought I could try a twin aerial mifi attached to the house roof, to supplement this data shortfall. No chance of 4g of course, but I can get 2 or 3 bars on the Huawei from the van, seems to work better than his mobiles.
If you are going to put an aerial on the roof keep in mind you will lose at least half a dB per metre of any lead connecting the aerial to the mifi. This could negate the benefit of any good aerial after 5 or 6 metres.
Putting the mifi close to the aerial is the simplest answer but possibly at the expense of wifi coverage. Alternatively, you may have to look at using a broadband router with an ethernet connection. :)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If you are going to put an aerial on the roof keep in mind you will lose at least half a dB per metre of any lead connecting the aerial to the mifi. This could negate the benefit of any good aerial after 5 or 6 metres.
Putting the mifi close to the aerial is the simplest answer but possibly at the expense of wifi coverage. Alternatively, you may have to look at using a broadband router with an ethernet connection. :)
If only!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have a 40GB deal on my phone with Vodafone which includes unlimited calls and texts and I can tether my laptop to use all my data allowance without throttling. I was wondering what advantage a MiFi would give me, is it simply that I could pick up a stronger signal in some weak areas or are there other advantages ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks. Tried to complete form, but it will not accept any email address - says that they are all invalid!!?? Will ask in a 3 shop next time in town.
Just completed it myself without a problem ... check your email address is right or use another.

upload_2018-8-10_9-46-38.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back