Security Tip - In case you are broken into (1 Viewer)

fenbogel

Free Member
Jun 30, 2020
Europe
Funster No
MH
tranny
Exp
seit 2014
Apart from the fact our van looking like a 'council estate edition', probably a deterrent as it is, I've used a dummy wallet and phone for a while now.

Add one old wallet, with expired cards and maybe a little 'day cash', plus an old smartphone to an accessable drawer or cupboard. Hopefully the buggers will see that and make off quick, rather than empty the entire van.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
We were given exactly the same advice at home, leave £50 or so in a wallet down stairs, save them trashing the house

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’ve been broken into at home and the very worst part is not losing items, it’s that your home has been violated.

The advice police gave us was to tighten up our security.

OP
OP
fenbogel

fenbogel

Free Member
Jun 30, 2020
Europe
Funster No
MH
tranny
Exp
seit 2014
We’ve been broken into at home and the very worst part is not losing items, it’s that your home has been violated.

Out of interest, what additional security do you use on the van?

Added deadlocks to the front doors of ours, upgraded door bolts/fixings (as the door could have been leavered off easily before), steering wheel lock and a handbrake lock, tinted windows.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We were given exactly the same advice at home, leave £50 or so in a wallet down stairs, save them trashing the house

Leave a piece of unwrapped cheese in the fridge. Burglars have been identified from their teeth marks!
Remember: you never get a second chance to make a first impression...
John

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Often if they find cash they will look for more as they now know you keep cash there😊

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Motorhome Security Handbook, free to Subscribers

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp

Added deadlocks to the front doors of ours, upgraded door bolts/fixings (as the door could have been leavered off easily before), steering wheel lock and a handbrake lock, tinted windows.
How about a decent alarm for starters - Vanbitz strikeback

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Motorhome Security Handbook, free to Subscribers

How do we download it for free? The link just takes me to Amazon ( I have subscribed)
Thanks
Howard

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I prefer a Visual Deterrent that an alarm is fitted , backed by a good alarm system ( Strikeback ) or if you have deep pockets ( Growler ) and a tracker.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a different method.
Never leave anything of value in your van. Additional locks on doors and windows mean they will create more damage getting in. I know this from past experience. We leave nothing of significant value in the van. We only have expensive phones and we always take them with us. Everything else is covered by the insurance policy.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

When asking a Crime Prevention Officer that I knew through work what were the best anti-burglar devices available he told me....

The BBA and the BBC.

When I asked what that meant he said.....

A bloody big Alsatian, and breeze block curtains.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

I‘ll prise open the very insecure roof light then. 😀

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Mugs wallets are a great thing to have in the van, easily seen and looking fat and tempting. Especially if you have loud internal alarm sirens (and you should) All hell is breaking loose, they snatch that sucker and run.

You must ensure your Mugs Wallet cannot be seen from outside. It would be ironic if that's the reason you were broken into (y)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
We have a different method.
Never leave anything of value in your van. Additional locks on doors and windows mean they will create more damage getting in. I know this from past experience. We leave nothing of significant value in the van. We only have expensive phones and we always take them with us. Everything else is covered by the insurance policy.
I do agree regarding additional locks for when you're away from the van but I had additional locks fitted on the cab and hab doors for when sleeping in the van, the noise they would make trying to get in would wake me no matter how much I'd had to drink! A loud internal alarm is probably the best deterrent and leaving dummy wallets etc isn't a bad idea

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971

We have also been burgled twice were we live, once when we were asleep upstairs, not a nice experience but what really annoyed my missus was the fact that they took her bag with a old Nokia phone but dumped it outside the house but kept a couple of spliffs she was saving for the weekend :rolleyes:

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Another line in the castle deffence mentality, you got in but leave quickly. I like it, unlocked glovebox a good location?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Visual cab deadlocks, every man and his dog knows how to open Sevel van doors. But when they see these bad lads they move along, nothing to see here😆 👍😎

20190119_151138.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We once had our narrow boat broken into. After they had broken through some very expensive wooden doors all they knicked was a bottle of cheap whisky and some cans of food.
I learned my lesson that day.
I'm really not bothered about them breaking into the van, there is nothing of value in here. Even a 32" flat screen TV is hardly worth the bother these days
I certainly would never spend a £1000 on the state of the art alarm system in the hope of keeping them out.
Stealing the whole van is my only major concern and have a couple of simple fail safe (hopefully) methods.
If I ever had a few grand of mountain/electric bikes in the garage I would be making a bit more effort.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
We’ve got Outsmart the Thief with the additional panic button in case we were broken into while inside. As an immediate backup for inside, the missus has a couple of strategically placed pointed umbrellas in the van. She says that she’d plunge one into anyone aggressively attempting to gain access. The worrying thing is..........I believe her 😳☂️🗡

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Let's face it guys if a proffesional burglar wants to get into your van nothing is going to stop him best we can do is try and make it a short a visit as possible with alarms wild dogs machine guns and a pair of 5 week old socks😱

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back