Security Tip - In case you are broken into (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Apart from the fact our van looking like a 'council estate edition', probably a deterrent as it is, I've used a dummy wallet and phone for a while now.

Add one old wallet, with expired cards and maybe a little 'day cash', plus an old smartphone to an accessable drawer or cupboard. Hopefully the buggers will see that and make off quick, rather than empty the entire van.
In the security industry for hotels and houses it's known as " The Crumb" system.
Not a bad idea for the occasional chancer on the lookout for quick easy pickings, but initial security detergents are still a must.
Only my opinion though, thanks.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Leave a piece of unwrapped cheese in the fridge. Burglars have been identified from their teeth marks!
Remember: you never get a second chance to make a first impression...
John
Teeth marks in Cheese was on a Columbo episode ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
It’s all insured, but it’s a pain to sort out and could put a dampener on your holibobs I think I’d rather have stuff nicked than trashed, so I’d rather they took stuff than ransacked the place. I leave a decoy walllet, keys and an old phone out but not visible from the outside and try and hide my cash. I don’t like taking it all with me, as it could easily be pinched as well. I must have a think about good hiding places.

Of course, if they make off with the entire van, that could cramp your style.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It’s all insured, but it’s a pain to sort out and could put a dampener on your holibobs I think I’d rather have stuff nicked than trashed, so I’d rather they took stuff than ransacked the place. I leave a decoy walllet, keys and an old phone out but not visible from the outside and try and hide my cash. I don’t like taking it all with me, as it could easily be pinched as well. I must have a think about good hiding places.

Of course, if they make off with the entire van, that could cramp your style.

Before the days I started to use debit cards for almost everything I had a money belt - just like a regular men's black leather belt but with a pocket on the inside. Just like Will from the Inbetweeners. Very cool! In reality it looked just like a regular belt. If anyone tried taking money from that I'd definitely notice and they'd definitely get their heads kicked in.

These days I don't understand why anyone would carry cash about, be that in their purse or in their MH or even in their house. I never have more than £20 in my wallet, and if I have that much that's usually only because the hole in wall has run out of tenners.

Sep 3, 2014
Eccles, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
American RV A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I really don’t know what the answer is having been broken into twice in France while asleep in the MH. They levered the locks possibly with a screwdriver, broke the deadlock and opened the door. The first time, a very growly dog sat at the top of the step and really put them off venturing in. The second time they did a lot of damage to the door but as soon as they opened it an alarm went off. They shut the door but didn’t realise growly dog had come and checked that the alarm had woken us. The scallies were waiting outside to see if we had woken and were very surprised when they opened the door next time to find a practically naked man (Nick) leaping out at them armed with his prison issue baton! One of the children, they were in their teens, wet himself then ran off the other ran off very quickly, didn’t wait for his pal and nick says if he known what it was going to cost to repair there would have been broken bones! So ultimately I think a fierce dog maybe the best thing and not to take much that’s worth anything with you!

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Add one old wallet, with expired cards and maybe a little 'day cash', plus an old smartphone have a Older Ducato with the weak locks. There is a pole that goes between the cab doors that won't allow the doors to open.
Being a tight bstard I use a ratchet strap between the cab doors.
I think if a professional thief wants to rob you, you will be robbed. But you can stop the chancer by making it harder for them so they move and try somewhere easier.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Best option is not give them temptation to break in and steal. Ok they may smash a window but that’s noisy so best bet is extra security and well spent.

Leaving wallets and fake cards about just invites attempts to have a go so the more security in view stops the shites dead.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I consider myself to be very lucky.

Where I am currently located I feel so safe I leave my van unlocked and open, at night and often when I go out shopping...

I just can't imagine anyone coming down the longish track to take away any of the meagre possessions I have gathered in my simple, ordinary life!

Rural Portugal... one of the safest places in the world.

JJ :cool:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Before the days I started to use debit cards for almost everything I had a money belt - just like a regular men's black leather belt but with a pocket on the inside. Just like Will from the Inbetweeners. Very cool! In reality it looked just like a regular belt. If anyone tried taking money from that I'd definitely notice and they'd definitely get their heads kicked in.

These days I don't understand why anyone would carry cash about, be that in their purse or in their MH or even in their house. I never have more than £20 in my wallet, and if I have that much that's usually only because the hole in wall has run out of tenners.

I never use cash at home for myself Kids need it a lot, though, for school events, ice cream vans, Pocket money etc etc. I didn’t know last year whether my cards would work abroad, so I took more cash than usual. I also like to have a cash ‘emergency fund’ to get us home if my cards got cloned or something. I probably carry more cash than average, as a lone adult, and with a child as well I am often very distracted, so I feel quite vulnerable in many ways. I find it rather a pain to stop for cash, too. It’s one less thing to think about (I have to make notes about where I put it, though....)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
How about a decent alarm for starters - Vanbitz strikeback

How does any alarm system stop anybody breaking in?
It just makes a lot of noise when they have.
They've still caused the same amount of damage.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Yes but with an alarm fitted and visible... the would be thief may go else where for easier picking

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yes but with an alarm fitted and visible... the would be thief may go else where for easier picking

Would they see it or just the sticker? Can you see the growler alarm? Could you smash it of the roof with a piece of wood?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Would they see it or just the sticker? Can you see the growler alarm? Could you smash it of the roof with a piece of wood?
well if they miss the 3 flashing red LED lights, they must be blind, and couldn't find my door anyway :rofl:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
To answer your questions in the same order as you asked them
No, just 8 stickers and 4 flashing LEDS
No. Well hidden, but I am not going to say where.
No, because the alarm is not on the roof.

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
How many times have you heard a vehicle alarm go off?
How many times have you been irritated by an alarm going off?
And the big question: How many times have you done anything about it?
Thought so....... zero right.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
To answer your questions in the same order as you asked them
No, just 8 stickers and 4 flashing LEDS
No. Well hidden, but I am not going to say where.
No, because the alarm is not on the roof.

You have paid upwards of £1000 for a security system that wouldn't stop anybody breaking in. It takes less than a minutes to pick up any valuables and they are gone. Plus -- there's not likely to be anywhere near a grands worth of stuff in the van for them to nick. Waste of money - IMHO. That's why you pay for insurance.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I have been burgled, whilst asleep in the van.
They found two purses and two wallets (one for each currency,) the sacrificial ones (in case of being held to ransom) and two money belts. They also took mobile phones (what for?) but didn't want my watch!
I suggest that you remain as inconspicuous as possible and leave nothing that may appear to have value in sight. (Also switch the alarm on.)
If they want something, they'll look for it it and won't worry about any damage caused in the process. And the 'Professionals' don't need gas.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How many times have you been irritated by an alarm going off?
An alarm is not going to stop people breaking in to a motorhome if they really want to. But, given the relatively flimsy build and the number of glass/plastic windows, nothing would stop a determined thief from getting in.

All we can do is discourage them from choosing our motorhome rather than the others ones parked around us in the Aire or campsite, make it unpleasant for them if they do get in so they do not stay too long, try to ensure that they do not drive it away, and enable us to know that the alarm is sounding, no matter where we are.

We have the Growler with 8 stickers (3 in multiple languages) and 4 flashing LEDs. It has 3 very loud sirens inside the motorhome, which are painful on the ears and disorientates people inside enough that they do not want to stay there too long (I have tried it). It has an additional immobiliser which prevents anybody from driving it away unless either me or my wife text a certain message to a certain number. And finally, if our alarm does go off, or if somebody tries to start the motorhome, we are notified by text and we also get phone calls so we can listen in to what is happening inside the motorhome.

You have paid upwards of £1000 for a security system that wouldn't stop anybody breaking in. It takes less than a minutes to pick up any valuables and they are gone. Plus -- there's not likely to be anywhere near a grands worth of stuff in the van for them to nick. Waste of money - IMHO. That's why you pay for insurance.
I was only answering your questions. As I often have to say to my wife, if you don't like or don't agree with the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question :ROFLMAO:

But I am pleased that not all people agree with us. The more people that do not have alarms means that the opportunist thieves are less likely to choose ours to break into when there are more easier pickings around it without alarms. ;)

As for the £1000, our insurance company at the time insisted on a Cat 1 alarm anyway, so had to spend most of that anyway. :(

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Ten vans in an Aire, one has Growler fitted, daylight bright neon Blue, waterproof LED's fitted in the front grill, adjacent to the caravan door, one at the rear, a visible Accessory Protection Circuit (bike loop) through and around the bikes, multi lingual warning stickers "This motorcaravan is protected by a sophisticated security system" on the windows, and small raised resin stickers by each lock "Warning alarmed"

Nine other motorhomes have no visible security (car alarm'esq) or have no alarm

The Growler isn't the thieves first choice. This isn't anecdotal this is reported time and time again, and in fact, I have been one of three motorhomes alarmed where other vehicles have suffered overnight theft and we the three of us left untouched.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What do you expect to see? A man in a stripey jumper, carrying a bag marked "Swag" wearing a mask, with his hands up saying "Its a fair Cop Guv. take me away!

The reality is that if a theif was walking along a road, trying doors and a door opened and an alarm sounded he would keep walking, and in the few seconds it took you to identify which vehicle was sounding the thief would be long gone.

So are you saying that if you saw people break into a motorhome, triggering an alarm you would do absolutely nothing? Wouldn't care at all?

Most of us would pay attention, perhaps takes some photos, ask "is there a problem" "what are you doing" or phone the Police. Very few of us would watch and do absolutely nothing.

Of course this rarely happens as thieves will be looking for an "easy" target so will normally look for something that isn't alarmed, and, of course if they do trigger an alarm tend to either bugger off, or grab something and bugger off

People that deal with theft on a daily basis will advise lock it and alarm it, the Home Office, the Police, the Insurers, people that have actually interaction with vehicle theft.

Some members of the general public think that locks can be picked and alarms are a waste of time!

Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
I use sliding patio door hook locks like the one shown - these open inside the door frame and no way anyone is getting there! In the past on the French/Spanish border a prospective thief broke the original door handle lock (Hymer B544 1995 Class) but could do nothing about these and went off empty handed!
s-l1600.jpg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
After being burgled at home, I bought an old safe and left it in an accessible position in the study, filled with engineering bricks. My hope was that future bunglers (tried to type burglers, here, but auto-correct makes a better suggestion) might invest their attention on removing the safe rather than ransacking the house. They didn't bother but I may have found the bricks being returned if they had ever got the safe out and opened it!
I now find it easier to live in a mess, not clean or repair dents in the vehicle, and let it appear that there is little of interest for the taking. It may be that too much overt security might suggest something of value being protected and thus create a potential target.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I use sliding patio door hook locks like the one shown - these open inside the door frame and no way anyone is getting there! In the past on the French/Spanish border a prospective thief broke the original door handle lock (Hymer B544 1995 Class) but could do nothing about these and went off empty handed!View attachment 405296
But if they want to get in they will just jemmy off one of the windows which would probably just break,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back