SECURITY OF MOTORHOME KEYS (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have posted before that I carry full set of keys, OH has spare hab key in purse and spare full set is hidden in MH.

Only time this did not cover circumstances was when hab lock failed(only door), but ingenious AA man solved problem - but that is his and my secret!

Geoff

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We both carry hab door keys, ignition keys in hidden safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A spare habitation key hidden outside the motorhome, and a spare ignition key hidden inside the motorhome

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The blade of a key, that only fits the drivers door but would set off the alarm if used.
All other keys hidden inside in a place that even a rummage crew would take a while to find.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I keep keys in small bunches.
We keep a spare hab key on my toad keyring.
A different key on wifes toad keyring.
A 3rd key/device is hidden in the car.
No hidden keys for motorhome are kept in or on motorhome as none for car is in or on car.
At home keys not for immedeate use are kept in a keysafe hidden behind a wall in a locked room

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't know why, but I have never lost my keys in my entire life. I think it may be due to the training I had when working at a prison/hospital... Key control was a major thing that was hammered into us young apprentices like you wouldn't believe. Well actually you would believe if you knew the situation.
Since then I always know exactly where my keys are at all times.

I feel I was incredibly lucky to have had that experience and training so young in life (y).

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
An Austrian couple we met never locked their motorhome as they felt it was more disruption if somebody jimmied open the door and the cost would be more than the value of the contents they had in the motorhome. Yes I know insurance, nicking the vehicle etc etc. And they are Austrian.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I think a bigger issue is key safety when your home, a MH was recently taken locally, the perp broke in the house took the keys with wheel clamp, crook lock, door and ignition keys undid the safety devices and simply drove off.

He also took the wheel clamp and crook lock.

And I suspect the insurers wonā€™t pay up.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We both carry a full set of keys with us when away from the van, plus there is a set of entry, alarm, and ignition keys accessible if required.
Visually they can not be found, nor can they be found by touch.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think a bigger issue is key safety when your home, a MH was recently taken locally, the perp broke in the house took the keys with wheel clamp, crook lock, door and ignition keys undid the safety devices and simply drove off.

When we had our break in they took two of our vehicles and the keys to the MoHo (Normally in the safe but happened to have used them that day the keys were not near the front or back door an could not be seen from out side. I think the MoHo was left as it had the flashing strike back lights flashing so I guess we were lucky. The Insurance paid out for the two vehicles and new keys etc for the MoHo.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

They should be covered by insurance providing the house break in can be verified.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We both carry a set of keys when away with the van (when we remembered)
Occasionally we will leave or return at different times and it's a backup if a set was lost.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We both carry a full set of keys with us when away from the van,
Same here Paul. (y)
On the Hymer, I did have a non coded ignition key, and a hab door key secreted away somewhere safe.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Myself and my wife have a set each which is on our person no point leaving them in the van if you lose them whilst out you would need to break in, defeats the object of a spare doesnā€™t it? Also have non starter the whole aim is not to have keys available for a thief if he breaks in?šŸ˜Š

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I usually carry ā€theā€ Motorhome keys when we leave it but my wife carries a spare set in her handbag. We also have an extra set at home. We donā€™t carry them with us unless we are abroad when they are secreted in the m/h. We started carrying spare keys after an incident.

Once, in Belgium, we dropped our keys while out for a walk. A member of the Belgian equivalent of the AA got us in in minutes with no damage caused. We were sufficiently concerned about the ease of entry that we took action to ensure that that method could not be used again. Fortunately our keys were handed in to the Police on the same day and returned to us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've read the article which was interesting but it doesn't answer the question .... what do you do with your keys now? :giggle:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Started work in a Bank 51 years ago, where you were obliged to sign every set of keys over, and get a countersignature with date and time, from the recipient keyholder, so that any incident could be traced back to the culprit quickly. All main systems [Main Safe outer door; Inner grille; Interior Bulk Cash Safe; High Value Articles safe for Bearer Bonds etc] were under dual control ['Top Key' and 'Bottom Key'] and once you were signed up for 'one side of the keys', you were forbidden from holding the other set of keys, any breach being a sackable offence.

So, both sets of motorhome keys are returned to the same place in the flat every day; check that we have both sets of keys before locking, and, having done so, we walk around the Van to check the doorlocks and that window catches and vents are fully closed. And then check again that we have both sets of keys and that the doors locked alarm light is flashing ...

Then set off, returning to the Van 45 seconds later because I've forgotten my wallet, so repeat the locking process ... (y) :rolleyes:

Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have two keys for the van but only one is a full remote which is what is needed to unlock the vehicle when I am travelling. I carry 2 sets of van keys ( 7 on each ring ) ,one in each pocket along with 2 sets of house keys ( 8 on each ring) in both pockets.
I need another spare remote key but am baulking at the 250ā‚¬ price.o_O

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have two keys for the van but only one is a full remote which is what is needed to unlock the vehicle when I am travelling. I carry 2 sets of van keys ( 7 on each ring ) ,one in each pocket along with 2 sets of house keys ( 8 on each ring) in both pockets.

Blimey, do you need braces as well as a belt to hold your trousers up? :ROFLMAO:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
They should be covered by insurance providing the house break in can be verified.
And the keys not left by the door or visa me from outsideā€¦..itā€™s a nightmare doing an insurance claim.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I've read the article which was interesting but it doesn't answer the question .... what do you do with your keys now? :giggle:
Have one set with us the other is kept at home in a safe, if we were to loose them, then itā€™s a hire car or plane to go get the other set may sound expensive butā€¦ focuses the mind on keeping keys safe.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I have one set,duchess has the other. Same with house keys. Never had a problem with that arrangement.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
On this issue, I have just renewed our insurance with Aib. As a specific question [ one of many :rolleyes: ] I asked if having a set of keys on the motorhome, even if locked into a secure deadlock safe would qualify for their claims rejections reasons and was told it would .
I have had two spare chipped keys cut, and one unchipped [ dead] key cut. So we can leave the original keys locked up safely at home.
I asked the locksmith if there were any circumstances under which I would require an original key with me, and there were none he knew of, and spare keys could be cut from the ones he had cut for us. The dead key is for when I'm out in the water, but Mrs BBF fancies going off for a wander.
So it seems we must carry all the keys with us at all times, or risk one secreted about the van being found and used for absconding with the vehicle, and nullifying any claim we might try to make. It's a pain but, one we'll have to learn to live with.
On a brighter note, we have just got our log book back, and are now officially 4090kg total weight. :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Blimey, do you need braces as well as a belt to hold your trousers up? :ROFLMAO:
Nah he wears 'onesies'! He's got different one for slobbing out, summer, winter etc and one specially for bed time!

1638805550706.png

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I keep keys in small bunches.
We keep a spare hab key on my toad keyring.
A different key on wifes toad keyring.
A 3rd key/device is hidden in the car.
No hidden keys for motorhome are kept in or on motorhome as none for car is in or on car.
At home keys not for immedeate use are kept in a keysafe hidden behind a wall in a locked room
Wow you must live in a dodgy area šŸ˜Ž

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back