Seat belts in France. (1 Viewer)

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Vehicles can be driven with or without seat belts it really depends on what the law was at time of manufacture - you only have to look at older classic cars or what year rear seat belts became compulsory for manafacturers to fit - biggest problem would be the carrying of children or minors due to them having to be strapped in.

Passenger safety is the worrying part not having or using one and being involved in accident but motorhome rear seats certainly aren't as secure as rear car seats

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
From memory, anchor points had to be fitted to all cars from 1965 and in 1968 all cars from 1965 had to have seatbelts fitted.
Compulsory wearing was introduced 31 January 1983

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
From memory, anchor points had to be fitted to all cars from 1965 and in 1968 all cars from 1965 had to have seatbelts fitted.
Compulsory wearing was introduced 31 January 1983
1965 - only in the front seats though, optional for rear seats otherwise they’d be fitted to the OP’s rear seats

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
You're probably right as there's loads of newish vans on the market which advertise as four berth but only have two travelling seats. I've often wondered whether the kids drive themselves in the car behind the motorhome and sleep in it when they get there? :LOL:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
You're probably right as there's loads of newish vans on the market which advertise as four berth but only have two travelling seats. I've often wondered whether the kids drive themselves in the car behind the motorhome and sleep in it when they get there? :LOL:
When we was looking, Autotrail seemed to be the main culprit for the 4 berths 2 Seat vans!! They must lose a hell of a lot of sales purely for that reason alone:mad:

Ady

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
When seat belts first started to appear in new cars, seat belt manufactures all vied to sell aftermarket kits. They were not retracting, but at that point neither were those on new cars. Kits were supplied with a small reinforcing plate with a nut welded on. It required a hole drill through the floor in three places to enable the belt being fitted. The biggest problem was finding a suitable place on the floor where you did not drill through a brake pipe or into an unreachable box section. And yes I fitted some to my 1956 Austin A30 and they were a bloody nuisance always getting caught up with the seat when the seat was tipped up, for rear access, in a two door car. Ever so safe they were and being sold as such, particularly with all the glass fibre I put in, holding the car together. :rofl:

Possibly, only the Very @old-mo TypeFellaPerson is of a vintage to remember all that..... :devil:.....:gum:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you think it’s the DVLA’s mistake ask them to change it. If you’re right you won’t have an issue. :whistle:

Regarding Eldiss if they told me the sky is blue I’d assume they were lying. Their marketing literature is on the same level of credibility as the Daily Star.

My guess is that they’ve fitted these “seatbelts” in the full knowledge that they aren’t legal so haven’t even tried to get them registered as travelling seats.

They then rely on their victims customers not knowing any better to con them into believing the sales patter.
Daily Star,,,you forgot The Sun,,Mail and Express,,,,BUSBY:D:D:D

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
When seat belts first started to appear in new cars, seat belt manufactures all vied to sell aftermarket kits. They were not retracting, but at that point neither were those on new cars. Kits were supplied with a small reinforcing plate with a nut welded on. It required a hole drill through the floor in three places to enable the belt being fitted. The biggest problem was finding a suitable place on the floor where you did not drill through a brake pipe or into an unreachable box section. And yes I fitted some to my 1956 Austin A30 and they were a bloody nuisance always getting caught up with the seat when the seat was tipped up, for rear access, in a two door car. Ever so safe they were and being sold as such, particularly with all the glass fibre I put in, holding the car together. :rofl:

Possibly, only the Very @old-mo TypeFellaPerson is of a vintage to remember all that..... :devil:.....:gum:
Oh happy days!!
I did exactly the same with my A30.
I was a keen member of Tunbridge Wells Motor Club and used to terrify the locals by tearing round the local lanes on club rallies.
I was indestructible of course in my full harness seat belts, bolted through the rusty floor. :D

Richard.

OP
OP
TMFTM
Sep 22, 2017
Hampshire Coast
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy
Exp
New
Just to make the issue even murkier, I have just contacted my insurance company who have stated that although I only have 2 seat belts in a 4 berth Motorhome, as the vehicle is an 07 plate, my rear travelling passengers would be covered! Seat belts cannot be 'officially' retro-fitted but my local (very reputable) dealer says they can do it with anchor points!
At least I know I'd get prosecuted in France which is clear enough!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My PVC had 2 belted seats in the back when I bought it. The original side-by-side pair from the cab had been re-purposed when it was converted. MOT'd with the 4 seats.

Recently I actually had a look at the rear seat structure. The base was shockingly weak angle iron with no cross-bracing and shoddy welding. And it was simply attached to the floor with coach bolts in random spots. No proper anchor points.

I've removed the seat and replaced it with a nice home made storage unit with a table top.

Point is, my van wasn't supposed to have extra seats, but someone had managed to add them and get it MOT'd with them.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Just to make the issue even murkier, I have just contacted my insurance company who have stated that although I only have 2 seat belts in a 4 berth Motorhome, as the vehicle is an 07 plate, my rear travelling passengers would be covered! Seat belts cannot be 'officially' retro-fitted but my local (very reputable) dealer says they can do it with anchor points!
At least I know I'd get prosecuted in France which is clear enough!
You’ll just have to dress the rear passengers in stripey tops and wear berets with a string of onions and all shrug when you get stopped. It’s worked for me everytime! :LOL:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I did exactly the same with my A30.
I was a keen member of Tunbridge Wells Motor Club and used to terrify the locals by tearing round the local lanes on club rallies.

Tearing round? Relatively speaking I suppose. :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back