SD Cards, Micro SD Cards....... Please explain (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I'm waiting behind the door for a Dash Cam to arrive.

I've had a little look at the Memory Cards available to buy to install into the thing but talk about 'Confused of Callington'

The physical size I understand and I also note that 'the thing' will take memory up to 32 Gb. but after that......

It would seem that there are different download speeds and, as they go up, so does the price. Is this a vital component of what I will be installing into the dash cam.

Also, I note that there are Micro cards that seem to fit into an adaptor. Will these also work seamlessly or is there something I should be wary of.

Many thanks in advance.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Get a micro SD card as the chances are that is what the dash cam uses. You don't need a high end card either, One around £10 or £15 will be fine. :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Your instructions should tell you which one is compatible, but AFAIK, you only need to look at the Class - i.e. class 10 etc. Micro SD cards have to be used in a carrier to use in your PC or laptop and work "seamlessly". The micro SD card will fit straight into the device.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All micro cards will fit into a sttandard SD card adaptor it is just that some are sold with the adaptor some without. Very usefull to have the adaptor if you have various devices that take different size cards.
For video like the dash cam you need a fast card Class10 is a good choice.
Buy good quality branded cards be wary of cheap cards on eBay often fake and not as big or fast as they claim.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Just as a general rule (for me) on these things, I tend to buy the size under the max that my device will take. So if it says Up to 64GB I'd buy a 32GB.

In the case of a camera I'd buy two so that if something happens that really needs kept, I would swap it out for the reserve until I could make a safe copy onto disk. (y) :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having juggled quite a few SD and Micro SD cards with second hand digital cameras I've bought in, it's worth noting that some Micro SD cards don't work in other makers' SD adapters. You'd think they would but they don't. Some have a faster data transfer rate than others - that's true of all memory cards. You pay more for faster transfer speeds.

With this in mind I'd buy both the Micro SD and the SD Adapter from the same well-established maker - they usually come together in packs anyway.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Both my dash cams came with micro SD cards, wait and see what you get ? If not a big enough capacity for you it could be the spare that @Vanman suggests.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Always use these ones. Never had a problem yet (8, 16, 32 and 64Gb versions). Comes with an adaptor as well.
https://www. .co.uk/SanDisk-Android-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B013UDL5RU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1501082066&sr=1-1
Stick Amazon between the two dots!

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Always use these ones. Never had a problem yet (8, 16, 32 and 64Gb versions). Comes with an adaptor as well.
https://www. .co.uk/SanDisk-Android-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B013UDL5RU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1501082066&sr=1-1
Stick Amazon between the two dots!

I tried putting the river in between. The computer said 'No' But I got there in the end, Taa.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"I would swap it out for the reserve until I could make a safe copy onto disk."
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That you thought I could do that.:Eeek:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You won't go wrong from these and you'll be hard pushed to find genuine cheeper, lots of funsters use this company and you can input your device and they tell you what you need...

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
From experience: always buy the fastest transfer rate. I checked mine and when each frame overlapped the previous frame there was about 5 seconds of video missing and this is crucial.
I called Nextbase and they said buy the fastest you can and this solved the problem.

For those that have dash cams it's worth checking for your own peace of mind.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back