LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We leave to pastures abroad on Saturday.
Just got an email notification that my credit card runs out 1/6 and will take 4-5 days delivery whereas I need 3 days delivery !
Quick plan to have it sent out out to a campsite for us was formulated

Rang bank and they sent it out on 11/5 so likely to be here tomorrow which is a relief.
They also told us that the wifes card ran out in 28 but her alleged only card ran out in 23.

But then miracle upon miracle wife was requested to search and found her new credit card in her wallet ...... behind the old credit card !

Written up so that you all check your credit cards/method of payment before leaving for Europe for expiry dates

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Phew, well sorted…..enjoy your travels :inlove:

My driving licence expired (6 days over) when reapplying for a DBS…fortunately a colleague spotted it. I had no idea. Just kept it in my wallet, never really looked at it.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you have iPhones why not activate your wallet on the phone? This was my saviour when my cards were stolen by a pickpocket! Phones are safer than cards!

Clearly whilst safe you need to look after the phone!

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you have iPhones why not activate your wallet on the phone? This was my saviour when my cards were stolen by a pickpocket! Phones are safer than cards!

Clearly whilst safe you need to look after the phone!
I dont have an iphone and if my oppo did do that I dont think I would want it do it and suspect that it would have to be aligned to the credit card somehow which runs out of date.

However, should the card not turn up (and the wife amazingly managed to lose her newly found card again) and my phone could do it, it is an option as can get daughter to receive the new card and pass the details onto me.

Good thinking

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Well that’s your cards all sorted suavecarve (good one!👍) but how’s the back doing after your op etc? You came to mind today while cycling a Voie verte in Burgundy. Your previous posts kick starting our cycling adventures!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Arrived in France on Monday tried to use my Santander credit card and it was refused.Tried a couple of more times still refused, so I rang Santander only to be told that I had not told them I was going to France that is why it was refused. This seems to be a change in policy as last year I didn't need to tell them.

So may be worth checking with your card supplier that it will work wherever you are going.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Well that’s your cards all sorted suavecarve (good one!👍) but how’s the back doing after your op etc? You came to mind today while cycling a Voie verte in Burgundy. Your previous posts kick starting our cycling adventures!
The back is in full recovery mode.

I dont lift anything (apart from bikes into the garage)
I continue with physio (self physio now as have been discharged from that)
Will be starting pilates, hopefully on holiday
I cant stand still for 20 minutes but can walk numerous miles in a day, probably done 10-12 today.
I can touch my toes with straight legs.
Came back to 12 hour shifts days and nights after day 65 (including a month in Spain on annual leave) so actually only off sick 5 weeks.
I still cant feel the outer part of my thigh.
I am still on hemp cream after I stand for 20 minutes and discomfort disappears immediately.

Motorbike on this holiday and throunal probably starting on Saturday
Carinthia is where we are off to for 5 weeks and 2 weeks to get back through Germany.
Having to use campsites so not our usual tight fisted approach to life in general

Excellent work on the Voie Verte and good to hear

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Arrived in France on Monday tried to use my Santander credit card and it was refused.Tried a couple of more times still refused, so I rang Santander only to be told that I had not told them I was going to France that is why it was refused. This seems to be a change in policy as last year I didn't need to tell them.

So may be worth checking with your card supplier that it will work wherever you are going.
Had no trouble using mine in March and April. I’ve had no notification of a change in Ts&Cs That was Spain though. I thought that had stopped years ago.

I have just checked and it says you do have to notify them if you travel outside of the EU so I presume it must have just been a glitch.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
The toll booth near Bordeaux swallowed my Halifax Clarity card on Sunday for no reason as far as I can see.

Luckily my Halifax card still works on Apple Pay but most places in France have a 50 euro limit on contactless so I’m having use my debit card at a less advantageous exchange rate!

Note to self … don’t risk putting cards into motorway toll machines in future as most now accept contactless!!

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years

Having to use campsites so not our usual tight fisted approach to life
👍 Good to hear you’re doing well.

Having to use a lot of hard standing park ups/overnights in France just now as the ground is absolutely sodden and a lot of sites restricting access. Lots of work around though😜.

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Good to hear! 👍
Enjoy your break away!

The ground in the middle of France is a ‘trifle wet’ at the moment and as a result we have found that a lot of camp sites are restricting access as a temporary measure. However there’s always a work around somehow, some way.😜

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Quite simple really..
Down load Google Wallet from app store onto your phone and then load/add whatever cards you want to use.. simply scan card into wallet..
Really self explanatory when you have it in front of you.👍👍

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
How do you go about setting it up?
On Android use Google Wallet

Luckily my Halifax card still works on Apple Pay but most places in France have a 50 euro limit on contactless so I’m having use my debit card at a less advantageous exchange rate!
The contactless limit doesn't usually apply to phone pay - or at least it doesn't for Google Wallet (Apple Pay may be different). Have you actually tried using your Apple Pay for higher value transactions or are you assuming?

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
On Android use Google Wallet

The contactless limit doesn't usually apply to phone pay - or at least it doesn't for Google Wallet (Apple Pay may be different). Have you actually tried using your Apple Pay for higher value transactions or are you assuming?
Ahh… I’ll try and see if that works! I was just assuming as I’d seen a 50euro limit sign for contactless in the Supermarket.

Will report back !

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Ahh… I’ll try and see if that works! I was just assuming as I’d seen a 50euro limit sign for contactless in the Supermarket.

Will report back !
Filled with 80 litres of diesel in Figueres this afternoon, 117 Euro - about £1.22 per litre and paid by Halifax Clarity card using Apple Pay ! Yipeee …. Back in the game !

Advice most appreciated DangerMousy !

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Filled with 80 litres of diesel in Figueres this afternoon, 117 Euro - about £1.22 per litre and paid by Halifax Clarity card using Apple Pay ! Yipeee …. Back in the game !

Advice most appreciated DangerMousy !
Glad it worked 😀
Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back