Scandinavia (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Looking at June, July and August 2023 for visiting Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
We will be taking our dog with us.
Is its best to drive across Denmark to Sweden. North through Sweden calling in at Finland "at the top" and then drive back South through Norway?
I believe we should pay in advance for some sort of Toll Tag??
Anything we should be aware of?
We know Norway is a "little on the dear side!!" Have read about gas availability and understand that there are many quiet "wild spots" to stop.
Have solar and inverter but would it be worth taking our generator (do not want a debate about generators) to use if we are alone?
Do the customs carry out strict checks at the various border controls. (Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland)
If we use any ferries we would have to be able to keep the dog with us on deck or in a cabin as it would be too stressed to remain in the vehicle.
We have decided to go Harwich to The Hook with a dog friendly cabin for stage one.
Any help appreciated or point me to the best blogs to read.
Thanks for reading and assisting (hopefully)
Happy Easter. (Must be close as everything in the shops is for Christmas!!)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I planned a trip once, Hawich to Hook, Amsterdam , Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo …. Forgot about Germany in the way!
Anyway, sounds like a great trip. We used the ferry from Puttgarden in Northern Germany, to Denmark in order to be in the right place to get to Copenhagen. Then the bridge to Malmo.

We didn’t go any further north than Stockholm as restricted holidays then (working) and we didn’t have a dog so you would have to check the ferry. Ferry back from Kristiansand to Newcastle still running then.

Northern Sweden not a very interesting drive, is it worth going to Finland that way? Certainly west coast of Norway is the place to be.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I planned a trip once, Hawich to Hook, Amsterdam , Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo …. Forgot about Germany in the way!
Anyway, sounds like a great trip. We used the ferry from Puttgarden in Northern Germany, to Denmark in order to be in the right place to get to Copenhagen. Then the bridge to Malmo.

We didn’t go any further north than Stockholm as restricted holidays then (working) and we didn’t have a dog so you would have to check the ferry. Ferry back from Kristiansand to Newcastle still running then.

Northern Sweden not a very interesting drive, is it worth going to Finland that way? Certainly west coast of Norway is the place to be.

That’ll work, although we’ve previously headed up from Copenhagen to Helsingør for the short ferry across to Sweden - and also taken in the Louisiana Art site and ‘Shakespeare’s’ castle and a performance on the way.

Rather than repeat the route coming back an alternative to investigate would be the commercial DFDS RoPax ferry from Gothenburg to Immingham. Only 12 cabins and a bit difficult to book as a private customer, but doable and a very relaxing crossing compared to the car ferries elsewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
If you want to discuss what we did. Happy to talk/ message me directly.
I am going to try and answer all your questions in a video in a couple of weeks. Your questions will help me put an agenda together.
It's a great place to go. We went via the hook, and traveled up Norway via Denmark with ferry to kristiensound.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We crossed into Sweden via the Oresundbron and drove north before crossing into Norway at Charlottenberg. We found the journey a bit uninteresting for want of a better word. If we did just Norway again we'd go the same was as we came back, Hirtshals to Kristiansand.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have a look at our Blog from 2016. Not particularly exciting but covers a few relevant points including our route - 6000 miles over almost 6 weeks.
We hope to return to Norway and the Lofoten Islands spring/summer next year.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
That’ll work, although we’ve previously headed up from Copenhagen to Helsingør for the short ferry across to Sweden - and also taken in the Louisiana Art site and ‘Shakespeare’s’ castle and a performance on the way.

Rather than repeat the route coming back an alternative to investigate would be the commercial DFDS RoPax ferry from Gothenburg to Immingham. Only 12 cabins and a bit difficult to book as a private customer, but doable and a very relaxing crossing compared to the car ferries elsewhere.
I looked into this a couple of years ago and was told they had no interest in shipping a motorhome, with or without the driver.
They might consider delivering as 'freight' but in which case the motorhome would need to be completely empty!

Basically it seems they have more than enough business being supplied by the commercial freight forwarders, they have zero interest in going into the wacky world of motorhomes where people are going to complain about their precious van getting hit by a lorry, as well as all the trouble of getting the vans dropped off and picked up

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Look at Camper Vibe on YouTube. They recently did a trip to Noway/Sweden, and they travel with a dog and a cat. I think the dog had to stay in the van on one of the ferry crossings, and unfortunately was sick! 🤢 This link takes you to the first Scandianvia video. There are a number as they were away for 3 months.
Anyway, they're an interesting pair and their videos are excellently recorded, edited and presented. Highly recommended.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I looked into this a couple of years ago and was told they had no interest in shipping a motorhome, with or without the driver.
They might consider delivering as 'freight' but in which case the motorhome would need to be completely empty!

Basically it seems they have more than enough business being supplied by the commercial freight forwarders, they have zero interest in going into the wacky world of motorhomes where people are going to complain about their precious van getting hit by a lorry, as well as all the trouble of getting the vans dropped off and picked up

Were you trying to book with DFDS or with an agent?

Both times (pre-Covid) I enquired and booked through Direct Ferries for the Gothenburg to Immingham run and it went through okay - that’s by telephoning them and not through their website. IIRC the last time in addition to us in the Amarok there were two MoHos and an antiques dealer in a Luton, plus a few artic drivers.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We did Norway via Sweden, as recommended by Norwegian friends.

Sweden is a nice country to visit in it's own right, as is Denmark.

Our trip was posted on here, see my signature for links. And ask away for any more information.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back