Say you could afford any electric bike? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
say you could afford any electric bike which one would you cause?

It would be used for general run around

Would have good miles per charge

Not mountain biking

Lightweight so easy to lift into the MH garage

Bosh motor?

Colyboy

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
One of my customers just purchased a top of the range Scott all suspension mountain bike. I had a go on it. Amazing..... Cost ...£6800. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What size engine did it have. :D2 .."......only joking if I could afford one at that price I would have one.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It depends on your budget I guess... if I had a massive budget I expect I'd find a better bike than the one I have but, for me, this one ticks all my boxes.

I have the small wheeled Kalkhoff bike which is reasonably easy to lift. The battery life is very long and the bike is well made.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/kalkhoff-bikes/sahel_compact_i8.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
It depends on your budget I guess... if I had a massive budget I expect I'd find a better bike than the one I have but, for me, this one ticks all my boxes.

I have the small wheeled Kalkhoff bike which is reasonably easy to lift. The battery life is very long and the bike is well made.

http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/kalkhoff-bikes/sahel_compact_i8.html
We liked the Sahel, but on balance went for this
26inch wheel version, we were concerned about the load carrying on the way back from the supermarket with litres of Vino.
These will replace our 2 four year old Felt Verza E30's which have served us well and are Bosch based with NuVinci hubs. They were £2700 new each when we bought them and now you can get a better specified bike for a lot less. Anyway the Felts are in for a service and check over plus a report on the battery state for any buyers and we will sell them in December if anyone is interested, circa £600 each.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We liked the Sahel, but on balance went for this
26inch wheel version, we were concerned about the load carrying on the way back from the supermarket with litres of Vino.
These will replace our 2 four year old Felt Verza E30's which have served us well and are Bosch based with NuVinci hubs. They were £2700 new each when we bought them and now you can get a better specified bike for a lot less. Anyway the Felts are in for a service and check over plus a report on the battery state for any buyers and we will sell them in December if anyone is interested, circa £600 each.

Yes, I tried the big wheeled versions and liked them too. Just to let you know though, if you thought the Sahel is underpowered, I tow my dog (large Border Collie) in a Tail Wagon with ease - he weighs over 20kg and I guess the Tail wagon weighs a fair bit too. It can, and has, coped with vino easily! :D

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I have looked at electric bikes BUT, at 6'6" and more stones that I should admit to, (probably 23 or so) there is nothing that would suit. Many adverts don't even give a load rating ..

Dave

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
Always the American made TREK for me. Best Ebike I ever had (had three, all Dutch made). Not cheap at over 2000 euros, but reliable, strong and Bosch middle engine.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Just rebuilt my mountain bike with Tongsheng EBike motor from Amazon ..

Amazon product ASIN B071CGBV73
With battery it weighs 20kg just under 18kg without the battery.

We also have a couple of Kansi folding bikes using the Bafang motors again a conversion. Nice thing about the conversion route is you have a choice of bikes so you can pick yourself a really nice light weight bike and when you get fed up just change the bike. The conversion involves removing the front chain ring which is very simple. Also means that you keep all the rear wheel gears.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I have looked at electric bikes BUT, at 6'6" and more stones that I should admit to, (probably 23 or so) there is nothing that would suit. Many adverts don't even give a load rating ..

Dave

If you can find a normal bike that suits you then just fit a motor kit.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Go Cycle only 16kg (including battery) and can get travel case to fold it into. Pricey but great to ride and looks different.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Always the American made TREK for me. Best Ebike I ever had (had three, all Dutch made). Not cheap at over 2000 euros, but reliable, strong and Bosch middle engine.
Confused, you say American made then in the next sentence Dutch made?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Yes, I tried the big wheeled versions and liked them too. Just to let you know though, if you thought the Sahel is underpowered, I tow my dog (large Border Collie) in a Tail Wagon with ease - he weighs over 20kg and I guess the Tail wagon weighs a fair bit too. It can, and has, coped with vino easily! :D
Not underpowered just low rear rack and a bit unstable with the sort of loads we carry sometimes, we were very close to the decision especially with the simple handlebar turn device for easy garage stowage. It was a close call.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Kalkhof Integrale.
Full size wheels with tough tyres so OK for roads, rougher tracks and tow paths but not good for mountains and loose gravel.
Up to 120 miles per charge, depending on the power level used. Easy to ride with power off on flattish terrain.
Carbon belt drive and hub gears so no greasy chain or dangling durailiur gears to get fouled up when stored in the garage.
Solid frame with carrier that will take panniers for shopping.
Only drawback is the weight and cost. It is heavy but still good to ride with the motor off on the flat. Wouldn’t want to lift it onto a high bike rack but into the garage is OK.

Go on, spoil yourself!

Richard.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A pal bought one minus batteries for a tenner at a country show and fitted his m/home batteries to it. It was a bit unstable.
Fortunately we're all old enough not to know better.
CIMG4573.JPG

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Raleigh Motus

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Me and the missus bought a Woosh e-bike each. Great value for money, great bikes, great quality, and not so expensive. I ride for miles, and having only one leg, it is a breeze!

Craig

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Have Kalkhoff with Nuvinci gear. Good range but heavy and unexciting. Seemed like the best solution at the time. Lots of other tempting stuff on the market now. How can you recommend something that you haven't actually used?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have looked at electric bikes BUT, at 6'6" and more stones that I should admit to
Dave

You'd make my motorbike sweat ! The legal less than half horsepower is never going to help much. And therein lies the crunch, no matter how much you pay that legal HP limit is with you.

But 50cc and I think something like 4 or 5 HP could be fun and legal on a car licence. Not to mention cheaper than some of the silly ebike prices.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Rode the Gtech but wouldn't get one as due to no gears you are screwed if they run out of battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back