Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
I know this is a daft question but can someone tell me once and for all ... do I set my satnav at FASTEST ROUTE

Or SHORTEST ROUTE ?

Whichever I do, it takes me up silly narrow lanes, scratching my mh and then bringing me out a couple of hundred yards further up the wide main road I was on until I was told to turn off.

(I tried changing from female voice to male voice, but he was just as stupid.) ;)

Help please.
My answer to this is to run 2 sat navs together, I set one to male voice and the other to a female voice, one with shortest route and the other with the fastest route, you can decide which to follow when you review each of the routes. Keep an open mind and be ready to change your route if it is not to your liking. My second satnav is a cheap XGODY 7" which you can set to Bus or Lorry, that will keep you off roads which are unsuitable for a motorhome. (try XGODY 7" , £39-00 off ebay) it is fantastic, with more features than a satnav for 6 times the price.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My answer to this is to run 2 sat navs together, I set one to male voice and the other to a female voice, one with shortest route and the other with the fastest route, you can decide which to follow when you review each of the routes. Keep an open mind and be ready to change your route if it is not to your liking. My second satnav is a cheap XGODY 7" which you can set to Bus or Lorry, that will keep you off roads which are unsuitable for a motorhome. (try XGODY 7" , £39-00 off ebay) it is fantastic, with more features than a satnav for 6 times the price.
I have one of those but it constantly got me in to trouble and also lost signal just at crucial times. I ended up buying a Tom Tom via last January before heading to Spain as I didn't trust the cheap truck nav
It tried to take me under a 1.8 metre bridge despite having it set at 3.5m

I still have it with me for a spare just in case

Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
We bought a Garmin cheaply from Aldi as a spare....we've always had Tomtom previously. On our way back home to Devon from Brighton just after Christmas it decided to redirect us to Salisbury to avoid traffic jams. After 2 hours of diversions and holdups it suddenly came up with this!
20181227_123103.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
i can do the voice over for you Joy, small charge for the copyright ,

straight ahead
turn left
turn right
your heading in the right direction
you just passed your intended address
you looking nice today
u turn when possible
do not follow the vehicle in front he is lost.
pull over, park take a rest look at map.
please tell me where you think you are.

this can be undertaken in English, French, Italian accent, German i am working on.

images

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Guess I'm the odd one out here. I love 'Map Factor Navigator' on my smartphone & the comprehensive settings for different route types. Ie I have set up 3 personalised settings, fast, medium slow & slow. Fast is self explanatory & allows motorways etc. The other two get a good slap if they go anywhere near a main road and they particularly suit my 'retired with no agenda' type of aimless wandering of the UK & European back roads. Madame Navigator has served me well for 6 years now.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I think looking at a map or previewing/simulating the route takes all the fun out of the driving, and eliminates the “interesting” conversations with my real navigatrice.

It also keeps my local paintshop in business :unsure:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Which model please?

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Wow No, dogging laying!
Twenty years ago I bought a TomTom, called her Agnes and she took me faithfully to wherever I asked, sadly she died and I got another, I wanted to go from Gloucester to Builth Wells, I only needed help through Hereford, so A40 no problem, it continually tried sending me away from route set at fastest, I gave up with it, have a Garmin now and so far so good.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Even on 'fastest route' a satnav might decide that a short corner-cutting link between two wider roads is a good move.

This lane forking left off the A371
upload_2019-1-21_12-31-43.png

was my satnav's idea of getting to Wookey Hole faster than continuing for a mile or so and going left here
upload_2019-1-21_12-33-2.png

What the satnav did not know was that I was driving a jumbo LWB Hi-roof 16 seater coach. We made it through but only just.

If presented with this sort of route instruction, I now know that it is a corner-cutting stunt and by continuing for a short while, the road I do want, off the one I'm on, will soon come up.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Even on 'fastest route' a satnav might decide that a short corner-cutting link between two wider roads is a good move.

This lane forking left off the A371 View attachment 278321

was my satnav's idea of getting to Wookey Hole faster than continuing for a mile or so and going left here
View attachment 278322

What the satnav did not know was that I was driving a jumbo LWB Hi-roof 16 seater coach. We made it through but only just.

If presented with this sort of route instruction, I now know that it is a corner-cutting stunt and by continuing for a short while, the road I do want, off the one I'm on, will soon come up.

Ha ha .. I fell for that one too going to Wookey Hole. :)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Don't get me started on Sat navs.
We bought an expensive Garmin camper one and she (Deirdre ) has been nothing but trouble from the beginning.
9 times out of 10 I end up turning the guidance off and using my phone.

Bet the Garmin never lets you down whilst at sea!!!!!
Can't recognise make of yacht but have sailed this coast and all round the Med many times, never used the Sat nav in the Med though always preferred the accuracy on our charts and pilot books.
Happy sailing.

Jul 19, 2018
Funster No
I bought a Hieha from Hong Kong (or somewhere east) - it's very good and cost less than £40. It gives routes for fast, green, shortest, and easy, and you can make it do three or four routes in each category and choose one. When it arrived I switched on, programmed it to my partner house, thought it was taking a long time. Then it showed the fastest route from Hong Kong to Norfolk! Evidently tested in the factory, and hadn't yet picked up the local satellites.

It was so good my partner also bought one ( we could have had four for the price of a Tomtom) and now he uses one to drive - mine is set the same, but if we want to alter the route on the way, I set mine and we swap over. It is meant for lorries, and I believe you can set height and weight etc, and your speed. I recommend it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back