Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
I sold my Garmin Camper LMT D 760

Now only use Google maps on 8 in Lenovo GPS tablet .. tethered to the phone for data ..

you can download Google maps for the area you are travelling and use without data , but you don't have the excellent live traffic updates and re routing ,so I don't bother.
This may be a stupid question but if your phone loses its signal when you are driving then I presume that google maps won't update with the possibility of missing turn offs etc.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This may be a stupid question but if your phone loses its signal when you are driving then I presume that google maps won't update with the possibility of missing turn offs etc.
It's possible to download areas of google maps in advance to work offline should you loose your data connection.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Just been looking at this! But as far as I can see, you need something running either MAC or Windows, which I don't possess. Would be delighted if anyone knows a way to transfer S4S onto a Garmin without...
I don't think this is possible.

You have to download a file then install it to your satnav unit, how do you update your satnav without a PC?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've used Google Maps on many trips abroad.. and it's never been an issue.. but if you were venturing somewhere where the mobile signal may be weak or non existent, as pointed out by ChrisL and as I said in my last post .. you can download the map for that area ...

you can download Google maps for the area you are travelling and use without data , but you don't have the excellent live traffic updates and re routing ,so I don't bother.

I can only suggest you try Google Maps.. As I mentioned earlier, I found it so good I sold my Garmin Camper as I no longer used it ..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think it needs a signal to create a new route. But it pre-stores the next leg of the route as you go. I've never had it fail due to lack of signal. It does occasionally say there's no traffic data off you have no signal for a long time. Often (if you're on WiFi?) it'll ask if you want to download the whole route when you set the destination.

You can also download and store areas of the map. So if you do have a patchy signal, there's less data required to keep it going. And if you have an area at home, it'll slightly reduce the amount of mobile data required.

Sep 27, 2016
Ruislip
Funster No
MH
Bailey 745
Exp
I'm a newbiey
I think it needs a signal to create a new route. But it pre-stores the next leg of the route as you go. I've never had it fail due to lack of signal. It does occasionally say there's no traffic data off you have no signal for a long time. Often (if you're on WiFi?) it'll ask if you want to download the whole route when you set the destination.

You can also download and store areas of the map. So if you do have a patchy signal, there's less data required to keep it going. And if you have an area at home, it'll slightly reduce the amount of mobile data required.
Wondered why it never seems to lose signal, now I know!

Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
Google maps and navigation is 10 years ahead of the dedicated ones.
Street view.
Satellite view.
All Pois.
Customer Rewiews.
Free.
Fast.

I'm amazed anybody pays for a device in 2024 🤷

PS the dimensions on other units can't be trusted, they WILL stitch you up sooner or later 😏
I just bought a Garmin Camper 895 and am seriously disappointed with it's level of information and the fact that it can't seem to reroute going forward. It tries to get me to do a U turn and go a ridiculously long way backwards first. Pity google didn't let you put dimensions in. That would fix the whole problem and I'd still have £500!!!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Google maps and navigation is 10 years ahead of the dedicated ones.
Street view.
Satellite view.
All Pois.
Customer Rewiews.
Free.
Fast.

I'm amazed anybody pays for a device in 2024 🤷

PS the dimensions on other units can't be trusted, they WILL stitch you up sooner or later 😏
Just looking at a non toll route from Dresden to Prague travelling south of 'Pirna', and can see that there is a tunnel that is not shown on Google Maps at all, the B172n, (satellite images seem to show it still being built), but is on my Garmin Camper mapping as it is on Via Michelin maps.

Not the first serious omission of a road I have encountered on Google Maps, so be aware it's not 100% accurate.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Pity google didn't let you put dimensions in.
there isn't enough data for all roads for a reliable way of doing that accurately ...

in the UK we have four classes... M, A, B, C, and unclassified..

Google will always take the fastest route using the road classes in preference order.. ie. M. A. B. C... then unclassified if no option..

if your destination is a CL and it on an unclassified road, then it has no option but to use that road... same with any sat-nav ...

why it is important to always check the last few miles of your route using Google street view satellite view or paper map ..
and yes,. you could have saved £500 .. I sold mine for £100

Feb 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Globestar 640dk
there isn't enough data for all roads for a reliable way of doing that accurately ...

in the UK we have four classes... M, A, B, C, and unclassified..

Google will always take the fastest route using the road classes in preference order.. ie. M. A. B. C... then unclassified if no option..

if your destination is a CL and it on an unclassified road, then it has no option but to use that road... same with any sat-nav ...

why it is important to always check the last few miles of your route using Google street view satellite view or paper map ..
and yes,. you could have saved £500 .. I sold mine for £100
Aww, grim!:cry:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I use google maps but just tried Waze. It worked fine but have read that it sucks power out of the battery.
Any app that has the screen on continuously will drain the battery. None of the satnav apps are significantly different in that regard. So plug it in while you're driving?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Yes but evidently waze uses much more than other apps.
I can't say I've noticed a difference. They all seem to eat about 20% battery per hour when going through wireless android auto... which I rarely test because I normally remember to plug my phone in. Why wouldn't you?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
how do you update your satnav without a PC?
I've never updated one in my life?:ROFLMAO:
Just looking at a non toll route from Dresden to Prague travelling south of 'Pirna', and can see that there is a tunnel that is not shown on Google Maps at all, the B172n, (satellite images seem to show it still being built), but is on my Garmin Camper mapping as it is on Via Michelin maps.

Not the first serious omission of a road I have encountered on Google Maps, so be aware it's not 100% accurate.
I always assume nothing is.
So plug it in while you're driving?
All mine plugged in permanently. sat -nav, 2x front cameras ,2 x rear cameras, head unit ,
which I rarely test because I normally remember to plug my phone in. Why wouldn't you?
yes my wife doesn't? 🤷‍♀️ plugs in when flat .not uncommon to have a phone, note book, tablets x 2 another phone for audio books, all being charged at once.

Frank Fox

Free Member
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Peugeot
If you are going the non-satnav route, dont go Apple maps as itonce gave me directions to a pothole five times in a row!:rolleyes: So its either Google Maps or Waze for me.

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Thank you for all the advice - still thinking of returning to SatNav (not sure which one) to save phone data use when abroad. Several hours/days driving is going to soak up a lot of our Gbs.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thank you for all the advice - still thinking of returning to SatNav (not sure which one) to save phone data use when abroad. Several hours/days driving is going to soak up a lot of our Gbs.
I am late into this thread but have you tried herewego maps free download,no ads downloaded maps and then works completely offline.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Google Maps uses about 5MB per hour of driving. If you drive 8 hours a day for a month, you'd use about 1GB. Compared to streaming video, it's nothing.

OP
OP
H
Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Google Maps uses about 5MB per hour of driving. If you drive 8 hours a day for a month, you'd use about 1GB. Compared to streaming video, it's nothing.
Thank you for that response - I had been researching and found a figure (more than once) of 40Mbs of data per hour - and several other figures being flung out there. Hard to know which is accurate!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thank you for that response - I had been researching and found a figure (more than once) of 40Mbs of data per hour - and several other figures being flung out there. Hard to know which is accurate!
you can download Google maps for the area you are going ..

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Technically, 40Mb would be 40 megabits, which is 5MB or 5 megabytes...

Even if it was 40MB/hour, 40MB is about a minute of HD video, or about 20 average web pages.

You can reduce the amount of data Google Maps uses by storing the maps for offline use. I think it still needs some data to plan new routes though. And it obviously needs data to get real time traffic information.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back