Sat nav motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
To add a longer reply. I've tried the lot over the years, nothing really works well for long. My original purchase was a simple truck sat nav which worked OK for a couple of seasons but gradually proved inadequate. Then I tried the top brands. A Garmin Camper was positively dangerous, and after it tried sending me down a low underpass and then a tram tunnel in Le Havre I returned it for a refund, buying the Tom Tom equivalent instead.
That lasted just two years before it broke completely when I was installing the latest updates. Their customer service might as well been Chinese, they didn't want to know and offered me a 10% loyalty discount (ha ha). Then the Xgody as above. I still have that but have been trying the various apps like Co-pilot as they are relatively cheap and not reliant on crap hardware. Currently using a paid for version of Sygic and liking the interface.
The trouble with phone apps is the screen size and they seem to drain the battery faster than it can charge....

I will read this thread carefully because I would happily pay well for a reliable kit that can be updated and lasts more thanb a few seasons...
C M Navigation, updates are free, And the kit is easy to use.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Snooper Ventura Motorhome version 7”screen , thousands of sites and Aires listed U.K. and Europe, lifetime updates, Size and Weight settings . Not the cheapest but we have used snooper truck products for years, so it was a natural choice for me .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 135
Exp
Since 2017
I bought a TomTom GoPro520 3.5 yrs ago and have been happy with it. The lifetime map updates keep it up to date, and it connects direct to the router so no need for a pc. The map update used to take overnight but that's dropped to about an hour since going for fibre broadband. In use I connect it to my phone hotspot. Sometimes, like most satnavs, it tries to take me down some little backroad as it's 30sec quicker, so it's always worth having a map with me. I've set the length and height a bit greater than the mhome for safety. It's also easy to change from mhome to car, set speeds so the arrival time's fairly accurate. Hardest thing's been finding somewhere flat for the disc the sucker sticks to. It's also been easy to install the CCC and CMC site files.

Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
Bought my Garmin 780 camper last year and it appears to be very good so far. I run it alongside the google maps app and the traffic updates seem to be in sync. If only google maps had vehicle size input I wouldn't have bought the garmin, although the campsite info can be quite useful.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
bought an expensive Kenwood system , got to Spain no Spain on Sat Nav , spoke to Company they said no southern Europe on Sat Nav, I said Italy is , not being too computer literate ,I did not know how to input South Europe, I bought a cheap Tom Tom and it is Brilliant.
So the moral of this story is double check what countries are on whatever system you buy, don't rely on the Northern or Southern Europe or whatever

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I've posted this somewhere before, but can't find it, however, re Google maps, as an experiment, I set Google maps for a destination where I'd take the MH, but in the car this time. Instead of taking me along the main route through Stamford, (an old Georgian town), as my Truck maps would have done, Google maps took me through tiny streets totally unsuitable for larger vehicles, which for me was evidence enough not to trust them for MH routing. I agree that if dimensions and weights could be programmed into Google maps, they would be a far better source of navigation for me, regardless of vehicle.

Cheers,

Jock. 🙂

Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
The reason I bought the Garmin was after a journey into the narrow depths of Devon, the last 12 miles was just about fit for a horse and cart, I was by myself, only had driven the van once previously. That part of the journey was a nightmare, I spent as much time reversing as I did going froward, that's when I promised myself a decent satnav before my next journey

Jul 21, 2018
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
Since 2015
Snooper Ventura Motorhome version 7”screen never had a problem in 5 years plus free lifetime map updates

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It depends on the accuracy of the data in the maps you are using. Many use 'Here' mapping and I've found that to be erroneous on several occasions. Specifying weight and dimensions may be fine, but no good if the data being used is inaccurate.
If you use cheap map data, I don't think you can expect to get particularly good results but, maybe, good enough to get you to a destination.
In my view a good SatNav is measured by the ease with which you can understand the spoken instructions, rather than the detail or size of the map.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
To add a longer reply. I've tried the lot over the years, nothing really works well for long. My original purchase was a simple truck sat nav which worked OK for a couple of seasons but gradually proved inadequate. Then I tried the top brands. A Garmin Camper was positively dangerous, and after it tried sending me down a low underpass and then a tram tunnel in Le Havre I returned it for a refund, buying the Tom Tom equivalent instead.
That lasted just two years before it broke completely when I was installing the latest updates. Their customer service might as well been Chinese, they didn't want to know and offered me a 10% loyalty discount (ha ha). Then the Xgody as above. I still have that but have been trying the various apps like Co-pilot as they are relatively cheap and not reliant on crap hardware. Currently using a paid for version of Sygic and liking the interface.
The trouble with phone apps is the screen size and they seem to drain the battery faster than it can charge....

I will read this thread carefully because I would happily pay well for a reliable kit that can be updated and lasts more than a few seasons...
Sygic offer a paid for app for iOS and Android smart phones which can be configured to your vehicle dimensions it is designed for commercial drivers. CAMC are forever plugging theirs in the the magazine but very pricey. I have said before I have a cheap Chinese one which is very difficult to find the maps for updates but it worked very well with a car in the USA and also this last two summers in Europe in the motorhome.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have a cheap Chinese one which is very difficult to find the maps for updates
Help is at hand. (y)

If you are on Facebook, there is a Group dedicated to the Nozatec/Xgody Sat Navs. Full instructions and quality map and POI updates are available, once registered on the Group.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Snooper Ventura Motorhome version 7”screen , thousands of sites and Aires listed U.K. and Europe, lifetime updates, Size and Weight settings . Not the cheapest but we have used snooper truck products for years, so it was a natural choice for me .
Sygic are offering £59.99 for a lifetimes licence (normally £99.99 but offer valid to 6th Jan) for their smartphone satnav app optimised for caravans and camper vans. The full truck version is normally £169.99 but on offer at £89.99. This can also be configure to account for the size of the vehicle. I am unsure which version works with Apple CarPlay which many incarnations satnavs and multi app car radios now offer. I see that Pioneer are doing a single DIN (the SBH-10BT from Halfords at which integrates with a smart phone including the cradle to hold it at £87 not including fitting (fitting brings it to £162). They also do a version with DAB for £129/£204. These save hacking lumps out of the dash to fit a double DIN. I know my son has a double DIN with DAB in his Volvo estate which I borrowed once and the CarPlay is good as is the CarPlay on my cheap Chinese DoubleDIN but having FM radio only

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back