Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
What JJ said!

Also another thought, if you are not travelling for more than a couple of weeks at a time, or even a month at a time, once you have found that elusive place to fill up near your home, your safefill bottles will suddenly become a good buy. It is if you are long term touring that is when they would become a pain.

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Sorry for the delay, found a BP garage that lets you fill up locally about 8 miles away, price 67.9p per litre. Saving Roughly £1.34 per litre on a 6kg calorlite (12 litres).
It would take about 9 refills to get your money back from buying a safefill 10kg cylinder. After that you are saving approximately £17 per refill

matvoz3

Free Member
Apr 28, 2017
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all,
I hope admins will turn a blind eye regarding my third username :unsure:
Full disclosure: I am the owner of myLPG.eu

Thanks but Gave them a ring that don't do lpg anymore

Glad to know, I've disabled that station.

Thanks emmitdb but the local suppliers showing on the map are out of date, I have called 4 now they either stopped supplying or won't let you fill a standalone gas bottle

A lot of BP stations removed LPG from their premises. Unfortunately for me I have no idea which ones did it except if I check the last confirmation on the page. It looks like I will have to remove all BP stations that weren't confirmed this year and hope there won't be too much false positives.
In the mean time, would it be possible Newfie if you could tell me other three stations did you call that they didn't have LPG?

Kind regards,
Matija Matvoz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I later went to an outlet in Wednesbury in the West Mids. and they gave me a crash course on what was required, so Thank you and a Big Up to Lister Gases of Bridge St, Holloway Bank.

WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT from one of my home town boys (y)
Wednesbury rules..

Must be hundreds of Funsters now saying W(here) TF is Wednesbury.. :whistle:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've got mates who live in 'Posh' Wolverhampton and the fact that one of the kids lives in Stafford we spend a little bit of time in the sprawl that is the West Mids.
I have to say that no matter where we go, we're met with smiles and friendliness. They certainly are a cheerful bunch that live there.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Newfie No I never ask in this country ,just fill up. Spain Portugal France again just fill up. Spain's garages will help you fill up.

Regarding chasers comments , sorry he is talking a load of rubbish. I have just returned from three months in France, Spain and Portugal NOT ONCE WERE WE REFUSED.

colyboy

You were lucky. We were refused today and so was the Dutch guy in the motorhome on the pump next to us. This was at a Repsol garage just south of Villajosa.

The garage attendant was very pleasant, but he said for security reasons (at least that's what it sounded like) that they didn't allow it. I'm wondering if it is because of that terrorist incident a few months ago.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
You were lucky. We were refused today and so was the Dutch guy in the motorhome on the pump next to us. This was at a Repsol garage just south of Villajosa.

The garage attendant was very pleasant, but he said for security reasons (at least that's what it sounded like) that they didn't allow it. I'm wondering if it is because of that terrorist incident a few months ago.

The reason is because it's illegal in Spain to refill anything other than an lpg powered vehicle with lpg at a garage pump. Same as Portugal Italy and other countries.

Brit visitors often get away with breaking this law in Spain if attendant doesn't notice what you are doing or cannot be bothered to enforce the law that he's supposed to. But it is against the law to attempt to refill any sort of lpg tank or bottle other than the manufacturer factory fitted lpg tank of an lpg propelled vehicle.
This law has been in place in Spain for many many decades as a result of repeated terrible explosions and injuries caused by people trying to refill lpg tanks or bottles of varying states of age rust poor welds, overpressure etc. It's a national blanket ban regardless of what bottles or tanks you have in your MH. Same in other countries.

Many Brit mh visitors will say they've managed to do it loads of times without being challenged but it is illegal here in Spain.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks emmitdb but the local suppliers showing on the map are out of date, I have called 4 now they either stopped supplying or won't let you fill a standalone gas bottle
You do need to explain that it is a portable tank with the correct 80% shut off fill system. If they think you want to fill a bottle no-one in the UK will agree to let you do so.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've only been asked about my Safefill bottle once when filling - that was at a Shell station in Devon. When I explained about it and showed them that it was called Safefill and why, they were fine and let me fill it. I like the Safefill bottle as it powers my workshop heater as well when not in the van.....

I am thinking of getting a second bottle just simply to save me the hassle of filling up when away - even in cold weather 2 bottles should last 2 weeks.

Must be hundreds of Funsters now saying W(here) TF is Wednesbury.. :whistle:

Easy - it's right between Tuesbury and Thursbury of course :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Many Brit mh visitors will say they've managed to do it loads of times without being challenged but it is illegal here in Spain.
I know it's illegal but the only time I've filed up in Spain was last year and the attendant came out and gave me a hand.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I know it's illegal but the only time I've filed up in Spain was last year and the attendant came out and gave me a hand.

Yes. We did find one garage near Madrid where the assistant was REALLY helpful. She tried every adapter she had, but alas, it turned out we need a special Safefill one. Alas, we now have the adapter, but are nowhere near that station.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Yes. We did find one garage near Madrid where the assistant was REALLY helpful. She tried every adapter she had, but alas, it turned out we need a special Safefill one. Alas, we now have the adapter, but are nowhere near that station.
where in Spain are you ?

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Just filled our gaslow bottles at Flowgas depot near Potter Heigham in Norfolk. They have a notice by pump stating NO filling of Safefill Bottles. Not sure if all there depots are the same.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
where in Spain are you ?

Sorry missed your messages as I've got no Internet apart from in cafes and then I forget to login - shame on me.

We are near Benidorm at the moment, but will be heading up to the Channel Tunnel to get back over to Blighty in a few days. Alas, I have an adapter for Spain (for use it is) but don't have one for France, so it looks like we will have to stay on Aires and campsites to get an electric hookup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back