Safefill gas bottle (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Help I should have reviewed this before buying a new 10kg safefill bottle, but what type & where can I get lpg (propane) refill from.i can't seem to find anywhere locally Basildon Essex that will allow me to fill this bottle.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
i have two Safefill bottles and have NO trouble filling them in the UK or abroad from where I have just returned. Filled them in BP stations and lots more.

Colyboy

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Thanks for that colyboy, did you ask first or just went ahead & filled up?
Do you use autogas or some other brand?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The safefill website should have a list of approved sellers and fillers (y)

I have a re-filler just over a mile away but not invested in a bottle as yet..

Last edited:

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Just filled mine up at our local morrisons the manager of the forecourt said as long as it had a fixed filler point with no adapters it was fine, he also said I could fill it in boot or take it out of car to stand by side of pump.

He said if in another morrisons just take iPhone pikky in to cashier showing filling point and will be ok, not tried it elsewhere yet though.

Our local safe fill place had run out of gas so was desperate, but their web site shows quite a few places all over the country.

Liz

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
I've checked the safefill website map but nothing showing in Essex
BP shows a garage on the A13, also a Morrisons on canvey island but not sure if they have lpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I add to Hyacinth 1 above.
Having had the refillable gas bottle fitted just before we went to The Continent I got loads of practice filling the bottle while we were away.
Trouble was, I turned up at Morrisons at Cribbs Causeway at Bristol and, could I remember how to fill the damn thing WITHOUT an adaptor????
I went in with my bag of adaptors and the dragon on the other side of the rudeproof glass (her side, not mine) saw the adaptors, pulled a funny face and said words to the effect, "You can't use them to fill your gas." I asked if I could have the assistance of one of their staff to which she walked out of sight, returned 10 secs later and said. "No, we won't help you"
I later went to an outlet in Wednesbury in the West Mids. and they gave me a crash course on what was required, so Thank you and a Big Up to Lister Gases of Bridge St, Holloway Bank.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Where to refill
LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood, which is an ongoing process.

Think the problem is with safefill you attach the filler directly to the gas bottle which will concern some forecourt attended's

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I add to Hyacinth 1 above.
Having had the refillable gas bottle fitted just before we went to The Continent I got loads of practice filling the bottle while we were away.
Trouble was, I turned up at Morrisons at Cribbs Causeway at Bristol and, could I remember how to fill the damn thing WITHOUT an adaptor????
I went in with my bag of adaptors and the dragon on the other side of the rudeproof glass (her side, not mine) saw the adaptors, pulled a funny face and said words to the effect, "You can't use them to fill your gas." I asked if I could have the assistance of one of their staff to which she walked out of sight, returned 10 secs later and said. "No, we won't help you"
I later went to an outlet in Wednesbury in the West Mids. and they gave me a crash course on what was required, so Thank you and a Big Up to Lister Gases of Bridge St, Holloway Bank.

Thing is, I totally 'forgot' that once inserted, the nozzle had to be turned through 90 Degs. (Oooh 'er Missus) It seemed all floppy as a result.:blusher::blusher::blusher:

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I know a lot of people use Asda/ Morrisons at J17 M5 (Cribbs Causeway)for fuel, but wondered if you knew that half a mile away is and independent LPG supplier.

Its called "Andy's Gas" and they're currently selling LPG at 52p per litre (Asda is 54.7 ) , what you should also know is that if it's for cooking (ie not road use) they

charge 10p litre less

Andrew

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm afraid safefill is not the best choice especially in Europe , I looked at this when I was going for self fill bottles and as they come from Stoke nearly went for it , but for not much more money thought gasit was a better bet and never been refused anywhere with it, although you will lose out at the beginning I think it will pay you to get rid of it, it will be fine for someone who only stays in U.K.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Newfie No I never ask in this country ,just fill up. Spain Portugal France again just fill up. Spain's garages will help you fill up.

Regarding chasers comments , sorry he is talking a load of rubbish. I have just returned from three months in France, Spain and Portugal NOT ONCE WERE WE REFUSED.

colyboy

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Chaser

Please look at my comments to Newfie.

I just cannot see where you got your information regarding Safefill.
As to your comments,

" Im' afraid Safefill is not your best choice especially in Europe, ----- I think it pay you to get rid".

As I said to Newfie you seem to be talking rubbish!!

colyboy

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Thanks colyboy we only travel in the uk at the mo, as the better half does dog agility competition around the country. I guess we might use it abroad in the future but all 4 dogs will need et passports.
There is a local garage that does lpg in Rayleigh, but said they wouldn't allow fillable gas bottles. I will take it & try & fill there. Nothing showing on the safefill map for Essex all very strange as Canvey Island was the largest storage area for lpg at one time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Chaser

As to your comments,

" Im' afraid Safefill is not your best choice especially in Europe, ----- I think it pay you to get rid".

colyboy

Thanks colyboy we only travel in the uk at the mo, as the better half does dog agility competition around the country. I guess we might use it abroad in the future but all 4 dogs will need et passports.
There is a local garage that does lpg in Rayleigh, but said they wouldn't allow fillable gas bottles. I will take it & try & fill there. Nothing showing on the safefill map for Essex all very strange as Canvey Island was the largest storage area for lpg at one time.
Well I think the second post answers your question, but as to my post it's bad enough trying to fill up in Europe without inviting trouble through not having a fixed filler. And getting bottlesout to fill up.
I really researched this and as they are only about ten miles up the road was very tempted, but very happy with my choice now thanks.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Chaser

As to your comments,

colyboy
Chaser is not talking rubbish. What he is referring to is that Safefill do not have the facility to fill the bottles without opening the gas locker. Some suppliers will not allow you to fill if they think you are filling inappropriate bottles. We have experienced this first hand, so definitely not talking rubbish.

Safefill may be safe but they are less well known and you cannot expect every garage attendant to know every system available, therefore if you don't have to open your gas locker you are not drawing attention to what you are filling.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Chaser

As to your comments,

colyboy
I think this map pretty well sums up how good it is in France
http://www.safefill.co.uk/refilling-retailers.html

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just filled mine up at our local morrisons the manager of the forecourt said as long as it had a fixed filler point with no adapters it was fine, he also said I could fill it in boot or take it out of car to stand by side of pump.

He said if in another morrisons just take iPhone pikky in to cashier showing filling point and will be ok, not tried it elsewhere yet though.

Our local safe fill place had run out of gas so was desperate, but their web site shows quite a few places all over the country.

Liz

Out of interest Liz, do you have safe fill bottles or Gas-it, or Gaslow? The reason I ask is it sounds like you have an external filler point but as far as I know 'Safefill' do not come with filler points and are stand alone bottles, that need to be removed to be filled.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have safe fill portable bottles that I put in car & take to fill stations, now I've read it again it does sound as if I have a filler point!

It's the filling bit or the part that attaches to the gas connector on van that has to be fixed with no attachments connected to it that they allow you to fill at Morrisons they said any with any adapters that need to be added were not allowed.

Liz

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
In my last MH I had Gaslow with NO exterior filler, I had the filler in side the gas cupboard and had to open the door to fill the bottles. Again never had any trouble.

Colyboy

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
When one of my Safefill bottles is empty I connect the filler to that bottle in readiness when I come across a garage selling LPG.

Colyboy

OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
First try at getting the bottle filled in a local Shell garage, all hooked up ready to fill & guy comes out & says am not allowed to fill any standalone bottle in a garage.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
First try at getting the bottle filled in a local Shell garage, all hooked up ready to fill & guy comes out & says am not allowed to fill any standalone bottle in a garage.
And though I have been knocked back on my opinion of these bottles in this thread, I am afraid that is what you will find in loads of places, especially in France and Spain.
Get rid and get yourself a gasit setup.(y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I am afraid I agree with Chaser, at the risk of Colyboy's wrath. It doesn't matter if they are legal, illegal, safe or not safe, you simply cannot expect the average forecourt attendant to know the difference. You are drawing attention to yourself by taking a stand alone bottle to a forecourt to refill.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have the bottles myself & I agree it's a load of hassle I went to 3 garages before I could get mine filled & the gauge can be faulty too, when we can we're going up to Thirsk to get the fixed gasbottles with external filler point.

Liz

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There is a difference between what you are not meant to do and what you can't do.

I notice many Funsters don't like to "cut corners" and, therefore, obey the letter of the law, even if the information they believe to be true isn't really.

Any Funster who is visiting Portugal and is in the Ansião area of Central Portugal, can get their Calor bottles (or any refillable system) filled by me at an official Repsol gas retailer.

You could probably do it yourself without me but, after years of cultivating the lads (and lassies) responsible, I know they won't worry about me. They would probably let me pour the GPL into a shopping bag if I wanted to. :whistle:

Down in the Algarve, there is the gas station where they fill any bottle for you. Ask any motorhomer down there or search for the details on Fun.

In Blighty, in an earlier life, I filled my Gaslow systems (and the occasional Calor bottle), (tut tut, naughty naughty) using the Country Farmers' network of filling places.

I am sure as the newby Funster motorhomers gain more knowledge of refilling locations, it will become so simple you will wonder what you ever got stressed about. (y)

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back