Safefill and Morrisons (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
.. no stock in the UK of any size ..

odd.. either have been highly successful and sold out, , or business is not doing well..

have emailed to find out when they expect stock in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Are you saying that there is no one within 60 miles that sells LPG by the litre, not just petrol stations?
You don't need your bottle at home, just on your travels
There used to be, 30 years ago, LPG was popular here, the council used it for most of their vehicles. But we haven't had any for 20 years now. There are only three places in the whole region sell it, and they are 70 miles away!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There used to be, 30 years ago, LPG was popular here, the council used it for most of their vehicles. But we haven't had any for 20 years now. There are only three places in the whole region sell it, and they are 70 miles away!

Yes, Looking at the map , as said earlier, some regions are not well served with LPG

that would be your nearest I think

Auchencairn
Castle Douglas
DG7 1QU

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't mean to be picky but isn't a Gasit kit cheaper?

probably..

but for my purposes, ie caravan use, a lightweight portable bottle that I can take by car for a refill, trumps a Gas It (or Gaslow) steel bottle fitted in the locker. ..

and as already mentioned by @hilldweller , if you were staying long term on a site in Spain.. easier to take a bottle for refilling than dismantle an awning, pack up and move the van

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Is this for home or motorhome.

Do you think you could fill them abroad ?

They would certainly be workable in a MH, near identical to Calor without the rip off and no installation at all.

Yep - I've got two Safefill cylinders in my MH, and I have the adaptors for use abroad. Mind you, I've only ever filled them once outside of the UK, that was in Switzerland.

I also use one of them to power my workshop heater in winter.

I've never been refused when filling of them in the UK - one petrol station came out and asked, but were happy for me to go ahead once I explained.

Good news on Morrisons, they are generally the cheapest of the chains for LPG - I run an LPG car as well.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’ve been using two SafeFill bottles for over two years, purchased on a weight basis to replace a heavier GasLow system. Saved not only the weight difference of the cylinders but also the weight of the filling point, bracket, and extra hoses (I think all that comes out cheaper than a GasIt alternative, but cost was not a parameter).

Be aware that the threads for SafeFill differ from those of GasLow, even though they may look very similar, so you'd need to buy a new set of adaptors for filling abroad. I’ve only filled in Europe a couple of times because I don’t stay long enough to use much whilst over there.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
So you buy it when you are touring ......

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Initially when we got the refillable Gaslow's I thought it would be nice to have an LPG very local filling station up the road from us here in Camberley Surrey, but thats not the case unfortunately.
After a mindset change, we always manage to get it when we go out touring, as soon as we see one (usually Shell) we stop and fill up, we dont worry about how much dearer it is than say Morrisons as we are so chuffed to get them filled up.
It always brings a smile to my face seeing how many litres goes in and the cost savings over having to replace a Calor 6KG Bottle at £22.25 last time,2015, when we had the caravan:):):)
Morrison's round our way dont offer LPG anyway, perhaps because they are fairly new set ups, and the demand from LPG cars is very little these days, dont know.
Now getting to the LPG pump,on the correct side is sometimes a challenge when the stations are busy, but we have managed OK so Far, touch wood.
Happy travels everyone.
Les

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Initially when we got the refillable Gaslow's I thought it would be nice to have an LPG very local filling station up the road from us here in Camberley Surrey, but thats not the case unfortunately.
After a mindset change, we always manage to get it when we go out touring, as soon as we see one (usually Shell) we stop and fill up, we dont worry about how much dearer it is than say Morrisons as we are so chuffed to get them filled up.
It always brings a smile to my face seeing how many litres goes in and the cost savings over having to replace a Calor 6KG Bottle at £22.25 last time,2015, when we had the caravan:):):)
Morrison's round our way dont offer LPG anyway, perhaps because they are fairly new set ups, and the demand from LPG cars is very little these days, dont know.
Now getting to the LPG pump,on the correct side is sometimes a challenge when the stations are busy, but we have managed OK so Far, touch wood.
Happy travels everyone.
Les
Getting to the pump to fill up with diesel is hard enough when the stations are busy.

They have three pumps in a line at our local Sainsbury’s just down the road, and you can’t go to the middle or front pump because there isn’t enough room.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Morrison's round our way dont offer LPG anyway, perhaps because they are fairly new set ups, and the demand from LPG cars is very little these days

I think that is fair assumption, BP have stared to withdraw LPG from some of it's outlets

A spokesperson for BP told MMMthat, "We have decided to remove LPG from some of our stations. As a retailer we have to review the goods and services we provide at our sites on a regular basis to make sure they are competitive and financially cost effective. LPG sales have continued to decline over the long term as manufacturers have stopped supplying LPG cars and the number of LPG cars reduces over time. As such we are taking an approach of removing LPG on a site-by-site basis from our company-operated sites when it would no longer be financially viable to continue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back