Safefill and Morrisons (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Morrisons are now a Safefill Refilling Partner (apologies if this has been posted before - I did a quick check but couldn't find anything)

http://www.safefill.co.uk/safefill-refilling-partners-morrisons.html

I've no doubt that the list doesn't contain all the Morrisons that sell LPG but considering the number of threads that I've seen saying people have been refused LPG for habitation purposes at Morrisons this is at least a step in the right direction. And must be good news for those who have the Safefill cylinders as most of their other listed LPG suppliers are very small scale and hence have higher per litre prices.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That's good news. I get mine filled at an independent supplier who's recently commented on an increase in trade due to people being refused elsewhere.
Didn't Morrisons have an incident regarding lpg? I thought that was why they might have stopped people using their pumps for refillables.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the number of threads that I've seen saying people have been refused LPG for habitation purposes at Morrisons this is at least a step in the right direction.

None of us ( probably ) have Safefill so not a guarantee we will get served. But as you say, it's a positive step.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Forgive my cynicism but if you have to follow the procedure shown you will probably cause a queue, then frighten the queue , and then Morrison's will ban it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Have to say in Scotland I've never had a problem filling lpg in Morrison's

Except for some of their pumps being a litle weird.
They are usually the cheapest around there too

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Forgive my cynicism but if you have to follow the procedure shown you will probably cause a queue, then frighten the queue , and then Morrison's will ban it.
What I was thinking.
Bad enough on wednesday getting stuck behind a woman in a Saab moaning that she hadn't been able to find anywhere selling lpg, etc;etc;etc; (couldn't have looked very hard as there are far more everywhere here now than years ago) It showed with the 48+ litres that went in..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
None of us ( probably ) have Safefill so not a guarantee we will get served. But as you say, it's a positive step.

I have. (y)
Suits me fine. Small independent on the same road as me for refilling. Doubt I would ever need to go to Morrisons but still nice to see it's added and could be used if needed.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have. (y).

Is this for home or motorhome.

Do you think you could fill them abroad ?

They would certainly be workable in a MH, near identical to Calor without the rip off and no installation at all.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Is this for home or motorhome.

Do you think you could fill them abroad ?

They would certainly be workable in a MH, near identical to Calor without the rip off and no installation at all.

For the motorhome. I use 1 X large safefill and have 1x flogas 13kg as backup. As said it just suits me as don't use that much per year and almost all been UK for past few years.
When I do venture back abroad I will put in my Spanish bottles as 2 full ones of those will last me a while.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

It looks like they've got it wrong to me. You fit filler then open the cylinder valve, fill, THEN if some numpty forgets to turn off the valve and removes the filler what happens ? Have they got protection for this scenario ?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
It looks like they've got it wrong to me. You fit filler then open the cylinder valve, fill, THEN if some numpty forgets to turn off the valve and removes the filler what happens ? Have they got protection for this scenario ?
The sounds like how you fill a Calor bottle, surely Safefill have a non return valve built in?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The sounds like how you fill a Calor bottle, surely Safefill have a non return valve built in?
yes.. they do
http://www.safefill.co.uk/safety.html
Safety is Paramount at Safefill

Standard rented gas cylinders are not intended to be refilled by the customer - and much is said about the dangers and legal implications of doing so. We couldn’t agree more. Safefill cylinders are designed to be refilled.

Our cylinders, manufactured by Hexagon Ragasco, have an unmatched safety record and feature:

• Automatic overfill prevention device - prevents refilling past 80%
  • Additional back-check valve if you accidentally forget to close the valve after filling
  • Tamper-proof fittings which only allow gas to exit when connected to an appliance
  • No complicated hoses or adapters to connect; UK filling guns fits directly onto the Safefill valve

If the weren't so expensive I'd have a couple for the caravan.. much lighter than standard 6kg Calor propane bottle

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
yes.. they do
http://www.safefill.co.uk/safety.html
Safety is Paramount at Safefill

If only they are accepted abroad, just think of the problem on a long term stay, instead of taking down awning driving to filling station, rebuild awning, just get a taxi to the filling station.

I wonder if they thought of this and have provision for adaptors, like Gaslow does.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Though you can be sure people at Calor etc are doing their best to work out how to stop them.
Not very successful then Brian as they've been going since 2010.
We looked at them for the Autoquest but the bottles are larger than Calor and we couldn't fit them in the locker.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They deserve to be a huge success. Though you can be sure people at Calor etc are doing their best to work out how to stop them. Maybe they will just buy them.

my only reservation is the number of re-filling outlets.. it looks good on the map for "most' of the Uk.. but a bit sparse in The Highlands.. and dubious about whether you could fill them in France .. the forecourt attendants may get a bit twitchy about it..

in saying that, we don't use a huge amount of gas, everything is 240v and rarely not on EHU .. the main benefit for me would be less weight on the draw-bar of the caravan and lighter to lug about ..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If the weren't so expensive I'd have a couple for the caravan.. much lighter than standard 6kg Calor propane bottle

Was my thought for ages but finally bit the bullet this year when 13kg flogas hit £25 a refill. So far only 2 fills at £8 and £10. Based on lpg being approx 1/2 price my brain is saying the £158 outlay is now only £140. The fact they are so light is a real bonus.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We looked at them for the Autoquest but the bottles are larger than Calor and we couldn't fit them in the locker.

Now that is a stupid mistake. Possibly because plastic needs to be thicker than steel.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I use a 10kg Safefill
Gas is available all over the continent, not just at filling stations and all over UK
They are lighter than a metal bottle (Wife can lift in and out easily)
Glass Fibre bottle, strong as f*** AND opaque so you can see the gas level
And the most flexible bit, you don't have to wait until they are empty to fill ( so no "chancing " it) AND you don't have to fill them, just put a Fiver's worth in ( over half a bottle)
You don't really need 2 bottles on that basis ---ie Creates space for more crap in the locker

I think they have just not marketed them properly, but I absolutely love mine

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Still doesn't help us, our nearest LPG station is 60 miles away or a 2 hour ferry trip.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Still doesn't help us, our nearest LPG station is 60 miles away or a 2 hour ferry trip.
Are you saying that there is no one within 60 miles that sells LPG by the litre, not just petrol stations?
You don't need your bottle at home, just on your travels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back