Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Recently, I have had to deal with a failed water pump, dodgy oven gas valve, constantly faulting heater and a failed split charge relay.
Now we all know motorhomes are shoddy piles of crap, but are Yank RVs any better made given they are less constrained by weight limitations?
I'd be interested in owner's experiences of both RVs and european motorhomes as to which are more reliable.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well never had an RV but can't fault our "Euro box" OK we have only done 45,000 miles in it (total 75,000) a bit of general maintenance but that's all.

Martin

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
A bit of a mix really. Do not really get involved.
At the end of the day i would say no better no worse.
Depends what you want, some RV's are gorgeous but for us too limiting on where you can go due to size.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've had our rv for 3 years now. Std service with parts all readily available in UK with no problems. The only part we sourced through USA was a replacement speedometer as when we bought it the lcd was fading. Found the Co on Web search, emailed what we needed and 10 days later it arrived. Cost £280 Inc tax duty. Can't comment on euro as not had one yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have had three RVs the first an Allegro 26 A Class on Chevy V8 turbo diesel , a lovely rattly diesel but underpowered.
The next a 32' Four Winds Hurricane A Class on Ford Triton V10 6.8l petrol / LPG
Then a new Four Winds Siesta 28BK B class on Ford Triton V10 6.8l petrol / LPG. Twin slide.

Habitation build quality on all three not as good as our Hymer B544 but fittings and equipment was reliable and the full body paint job on the Siesta was the dogs thingies, not a decal in sight.
The two Ford base vehicles were faultless, proper engines, quiet and powerful with a quality automatic box.

If I had a choice a sub 30' RV with slideouts would be my choice over a eurovan, much more for your money .

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We see many RV's and a lot have faults and have to stay till parts arrive from US or wherever.

RV;s are the same as any vehicle if they are properly serviced and using the correct parts then they are as reliable as any other vehicle put together by man - For spares there are to my knowledge at least 8 suppliers of spares for RV's in the UK and possibly a lot more depending on what has gone wrong. Most RV spares companies will dispatch on 24hr carrier so little hold up there. A little preplanning goes a long way in keeping any vehicle going - carry a spare wheel - a fan belt (s) - set of bulbs etc. Half the problem with most breakdowns is lack of knowledge of who to go to or finding a competent person to do the job

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As you go skiing would the slide outs be insulated enough for your use ? I just assumed they would be light as they have to slide in and out.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As you go skiing would the slide outs be insulated enough for your use ? I just assumed they would be light as they have to slide in and out.

Slideouts seemed fine in winter bearing in mind RVs are built for North American market where winters can be very harsh.
For me the only let down is the blown air central heating furnace which is very quick to heat up but there is then a drop off in temperature until the stat switches in again.
Could do with Alde fitted.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Or LarryHarryChappy, change the thermostat to a proper programmable digital one "like what I did". :)

Still a shame about the furnace, time for a new design if not done already. :rolleyes:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Coldest I have been in winter in an RV with slides was minus 15

To be honest, I never expect "not to be able" to get off anything I need off the shelf in the UK

As an example at the NEC our water heater (;) the Six gallon one) wouldn't work on gas, only mains

The campsite carp park had 6amp Max on their trips so a pain

I rang Motorhome Medics who had a new circuit board. I went to the Van Bitz stand in the NEC and sent someone to Cheltenham to collect a new board.

After the show, slotted the new circuit board in, cover back on job done

The only thing we have had to order was the electric step that I bashed and damaged on a sticky out rock. Spares for it were available but I'd clouted it well and proper lol

Air freight can be a couple of days, about three weeks by sea

"Most" things are repairable on a Yank to be fair, so spares are easy

As for size, most places we want to go, get buses, trucks or deliveries.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldnt say lightweight.
An average 12ft x 3ft slide with furniture ( rock & roll sofa bed plus table & 4 chairs) is the best part of a ton.
The two load bearing sliding struts on mine were 8" x 3" steel box section plus the rest of the framework in around 2" x 1" steel box
Electric screw drive or hydraulic rams make short work of pushing in and out.
As far as insulation goes....pretty crap at the end panels.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The best thing about an RV is that there us more space to put things, so if anything breaks, it's easier to get to.
Lots of places in the UK sell spares and stuff is available pretty quickly from the USA, you might pay a bit for postage though.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Reading on here, it would seem that RV parts are easier to get than Eurobox bits. Since buying ours new in 2010, we have only had one failure when the TCM went pop and would not change gear. Getting parts in our case is simply sending the vehicle number to Winnebago Parts, with a photo if possible. A couple of days later, an email comes back with the total cost including delivery etc, you ring them and pay and about a week later the offending bit appears. In our case, the TCM, was programmed with all the vehicle data including the total miles run, I told them, so the digital speedo continued to read the correct mileage. On another occasion Management wanted another wall light in the bedroom, so I enquiried, paid etc. When said light arrived there was three in the box, sent apparently because although almost the same, there was a subtle difference and so they sent the other two FOC so they would all match.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Are 5th wheelers as well insulated to ? Never had or used either just interested. If you did not know you would think that the slide out parts would be cold.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It matters not whether you buy American or European. Unless you are purchasing in the high end luxury market you will be buying a recreational vehicle. This basically means, anything that is not seen will be sticks and staples covered up with a fancy veneer to look like quality. High end American RVs do not have the silly gas and battery wasting heating systems and by the same token high end European motorhomes have diesel heaters fitted as standard. They do not build a Prevost on a pickup truck chassis from Chevrolet any more than they build an RMB on a Fiat chassis. You get what you pay for whether its European or American, its as simple as that.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Are 5th wheelers as well insulated to ? Never had or used either just interested. If you did not know you would think that the slide out parts would be cold.
Our's is warm no cold spots in the slide

When we bought our 5'er we bought it with the knowledge that we would be living full time. Never had a problem with cold and we have been down to -20 - just used a bit more gas !! Very comfortable

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I love all vans, especially those little delivery vans they put beds in in Europe
Saw these vans for the first time last week on the aire in La Plagne. Amazing vehicles with tiny Windows cut into the side and drop down rear doors into the storage area at the back.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My new van ready for converting...

image-0-02-05-8a89660129633c6c2547650fdffd7d8359dfe67e7b69c6908839b4e2bb95632c-V.jpg

JJ :cool:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Saw these vans for the first time last week on the aire in La Plagne. Amazing vehicles with tiny Windows cut into the side and drop down rear doors into the storage area at the back.
Called HI-Ma's I believe

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Coldest I have been in winter in an RV with slides was minus 15

To be honest, I never expect "not to be able" to get off anything I need off the shelf in the UK

As an example at the NEC our water heater (;) the Six gallon one) wouldn't work on gas, only mains

The campsite carp park had 6amp Max on their trips so a pain
Didn't you have a 32amp MCB with you to uprate your supply......:);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back