Routing cables through roof for external antenna Carthargo (1 Viewer)

Serge

Free Member
Jan 25, 2019
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
Hi everyone, may I have your opinion on how to get cables through the roof and roof lining of a Liner for Two please.

I have purchased a Puck 5 4g antenna https://www.solwise.co.uk/a-puck-5 to be bonded (sikaflex) to the roof of our motorhome.

Preferred option is: utilise the holes in the roof where the cables for the tv antenna have been drilled at the factory to run the anntena cables through? I then need to route the cables within the roof lining or cupboards to the location in the picture circled in blue. Has anyone done this? Or got a how to document?

Option 2 is: drill through Cathargo roof ? The cabling will need to run through the roof ( area circled in red in picture) and then within the roof lining route to the cupboard containing the tv cabling & router.Circled in blue in Pic.
motorhome.JPG

I have done this on our previous motorhome but it wasn't this expensive! Any comments or experience / knowledge on these Carthago motorhomes roof linings much appreciated.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Is this the sort of thing for roof entry?
Screenshot_20190125-182733_Samsung Internet.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The cable entry is through the mounting bolt for the antenna. You can just see the bottom of the bolt in the image.

a-puck-0005-1.png

It is possible the bolt may not be long enough, depending on your roof insulation, but if you are using Sikaflex this should not be a problem. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
this is what i used, it makes a sandwich of the roof and is tightened and secured by a plastic nut and washer ( and of course the obligatory sikaflex )

roof gland.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
this is what i used, it makes a sandwich of the roof and is tightened and secured by a plastic nut and washer ( and of course the obligatory sikaflex )

View attachment 279284
That looks a neat solution ( for other uses) where is it from please?

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Free Member
Jan 25, 2019
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the interesting replies, what is the thought on drilling a new hole through roof or attempting to use an existing route out through the roof please.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the interesting replies, what is the thought on drilling a new hole through roof or attempting to use an existing route out through the roof please.
If you've got an existing hole in a suitable place use that if you can. Ideally the antenna needs to be able to see the horizon. It is a very complex subject but I would avoid placing it near other "roof furniture" such as solar panels or a satellite dish.

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Free Member
Jan 25, 2019
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
If you've got an existing hole in a suitable place use that if you can. Ideally the antenna needs to be able to see the horizon. It is a very complex subject but I would avoid placing it near other "roof furniture" such as solar panels or a satellite dish.

Thanks good point, I spoke to the importer Solwise, they felt 1sq m around antenna would suffice. At some point we will fit a roof mounted awning which I would of thought could on occasion obstruct line of site to mast, but Solwise felt not a deal breaker , time will tell i guess.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks good point, I spoke to the importer Solwise, they felt 1sq m around antenna would suffice. At some point we will fit a roof mounted awning which I would of thought could on occasion obstruct line of site to mast, but Solwise felt not a deal breaker , time will tell i guess.
Just looked again at your picture of the roof. I suggest keep it away from the A/C unit if you can. I fitted my roof antenna in the space between the forward rooflight and the windscreen.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Can you not use the flue to route the cable, I can see just behind where you have marked obviously depends on what the flue supplying, mine is for my extractor fan

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think the flue is the SOG outlet.

Richard.
Looks more li ke the oven vent to me.
I
IMHO you won't find the answer here, you will have to take a view based on the particular aspects of your own mh. Myself I would avoid routing cabes over the oven. What about taking it through a cupboard?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Like John (DBK) I fitted the Poynting MIMO aerial. A bit of a compromise finding a clear area of the roof and a position where it's easy to route the cables.

Also need to take into account the cable lengths no good putting it in a clear area of the roof if it means another meter of cable as the losses are very high, kept my cables 0.8m including the tails out of the unit.

With Poynting the cables also come out through the mounting bolt I just cut a 20mm dial hole through the roof.

Works well been up in the mountains in Spain where neither of our phones could get network or data signals but the Mifi via the MIMO picked up a 3G signal.

P1140291.JPG.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Free Member
Jan 25, 2019
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
Can you not use the flue to route the cable, I can see just behind where you have marked obviously depends on what the flue supplying, mine is for my extractor fan
Thanks for this idea, I will investigate, the flue is directly above the gas oven, but I may remove the gas oven and fit a microwave as the gas oven has no grill, and the only degustation we use the oven for is cheese on toast !
Much appreciated

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
That area of your van seems similar to mine. I've been told by the dealer (CamperUK) that the designed entry for solar panel cables is above the oven tech tower (your red circle) and that cables can be run downwards alongside the habitation door behind a crafty bit of sliding panelling (to your blue circle). Access to over the oven is by removing a wooden panel that is Velcro'd in place. Moving the sliding panel is difficult to describe and I haven't tried it yet!

Whereabouts in Bedfordshire are you? We could compare notes - pm me if you're interested.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Like John (DBK) I fitted the Poynting MIMO aerial. A bit of a compromise finding a clear area of the roof and a position where it's easy to route the cables.

Also need to take into account the cable lengths no good putting it in a clear area of the roof if it means another meter of cable as the losses are very high, kept my cables 0.8m including the tails out of the unit.

With Poynting the cables also come out through the mounting bolt I just cut a 20mm dial hole through the roof.

Works well been up in the mountains in Spain where neither of our phones could get network or data signals but the Mifi via the MIMO picked up a 3G signal.

View attachment 279343
Lenny, on the roof gland will a SMA connector pass through the gland so I can leave the factory bonded end in situ, and then clamp up on the 200 cable?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny, on the roof gland will a SMA connector pass through the gland so I can leave the factory bonded end in situ, and then clamp up on the 200 cable?
Not quite sure what you mean. The mounting gland/spigot is in the centre of the unit and the cable exit through it.

upload_2019-1-31_13-57-28.png

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

View attachment 279343
Hi Lenny, there is a white gland to the right behind the black antenna, which I clearly mistook for a connection out of the antenna but I now guess it relates to your solar? Anyway sorted now I needed 2 off dual glands that would take a 9mm SMA connector through and still seal up. Found them online eventually, not many quote the max cable diameters. But thanks for your time in posting.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Lenny, there is a white gland to the right behind the black antenna, which I clearly mistook for a connection out of the antenna but I now guess it relates to your solar? Anyway sorted now I needed 2 off dual glands that would take a 9mm SMA connector through and still seal up. Found them online eventually, not many quote the max cable diameters. But thanks for your time in posting.

Bloody hell Michael, all this and you are getting a new van soon you lucky bugger.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In my photo it does look like those cables go to it, just the angle of the photo those are the sat dish cables.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Bloody hell Michael, all this and you are getting a new van soon you lucky bugger.
Yes its all for the new Morelo. I am supplying the complete package of parts to the dealer for him to fit whilst I am there, and I have found from past experience it is best to make it simple for them and not ask them to make any choices for me as they will very likely be wrong. So I measured the space when I was out at Stuttgart and made up a plastic base to fit, then like a jigsaw mounted all the elements on it so they have 4 self tappers to mount it thats all; a switched 12vdc to the neg and pos connection on my panel and thats it working. Mount the 2 antenna on the roof using my bespoke plates I had made at the local engineering shop for them and the motor lifts, feed the 3 coax down using the supplied cable and connect to the 3 coax SMA tails on my panel. So no brains needed to work out where this Ethernet cable goes etc. And of course I have tested it all here at home so I know it all works as per the plan!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes its all for the new Morelo. I am supplying the complete package of parts to the dealer for him to fit whilst I am there, and I have found from past experience it is best to make it simple for them and not ask them to make any choices for me as they will very likely be wrong. So I measured the space when I was out at Stuttgart and made up a plastic base to fit, then like a jigsaw mounted all the elements on it so they have 4 self tappers to mount it thats all; a switched 12vdc to the neg and pos connection on my panel and thats it working. Mount the 2 antenna on the roof using my bespoke plates I had made at the local engineering shop for them and the motor lifts, feed the 3 coax down using the supplied cable and connect to the 3 coax SMA tails on my panel. So no brains needed to work out where this Ethernet cable goes etc. And of course I have tested it all here at home so I know it all works as per the plan!

Good thinking, are you advertising your Flair well before the new ones comes to give it a while to sell?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Good thinking, are you advertising your Flair well before the new ones comes to give it a while to sell?
Interesting question. I have a stunning PX on the Flair which when the Euro was 1.10 meant I would need around £160k in sterling to match it. Now the pound has strengthened circa £155 would be equal. But then I have the hassle of selling in the UK, it is a big chunk of money and whilst I know its a stunning fully loaded van a buyer does not necessarily and would likely want the comfort of a warranty that a dealer would give and perhaps finance. Sure its just come back from Polch on a low loader having had all the last warranty stuff done so she is perfect, but honestly I am unsure what to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back