Route And Campsite (1 Viewer)

joanie

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
donegal,ireland
Funster No
Exp
three years,on and off
hi to all,can anyone give me advice please?on our way to malaga in a couple of weeks,from santander and we want to have one night in a campsite about half way, name and route would be great,its our first trip to spain:Eeek::Blush::thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
This is a fast route south. Out of Santander city and pick up A67 towards Torrelavega. At the outskirts of T'vega change to A8/E70/N634 for about 5 miles; at exit 223 take N623 to Burgos. From Burgos take A1 to Madrid, where you pick up the M30 through Madrid and then join E5/A4 to Aranjuez. There's a Camp site at Aranjuez (listed in Alan Rogers ES9091)

Link Removed

A look round Aranjuez is highly recommended. :thumb:

Rejoin A4 towards Granada and at Exit 292 change to E902/A44 still towards Granada. At Exit 121 change to A92 towards Sevilla and Malaga, then at Exit 177 pick up A359 towards Malaga. Pick up A45 to Malaga.

And that's it. :thumb: It's about 550 miles in total, with Aranjuez being about 280 miles from Santander.
If you've not driven in Spain before the motorway exits are not numbered sequentially, they are numbered by kilometre, so one junction could be labelled 56 and the next one six kilometers further along could be numbered 50 or 62, depending on which way they are numbered. A bit confusing unless you are aware of it.
Also driving in Spain you must carry a high visibilty jacket for each occupant, two warning triangles and, if the driver wears glasses, a spare pair of driving glasses. Also don't forget beam benders for headlights and a 1st Aid Kit.
My apologies if this is a bit 'Grandma and eggs', but it's better to be sure :Blush:

Hope you find this useful

John

Last edited:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi again JayDee, it was great meeting you at Newark.

The post on the route through Spain was excellent and I have copied it for future reference. Do you have an equally good one for getting through France, definitely bypassing Paris and preferrably not on main motorways. We want to head for Toulouse/south of France. We have tried every map, google, mappy michelin etc etc, one is good for this, another for that. etc etc.

What we really want is personal experience of a pleasant route down, (we have never driven abroad before) which is not just endless boring motorway, but is also not bendy narrow roads.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated

Ginny and Michael

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
joanie

joanie

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
donegal,ireland
Funster No
Exp
three years,on and off
Very Helpfull

thanks jaydee,thats was really helpful,we will go that way and really looking forward to it,will let you know how we get on,:thumb::Smile::winky:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
thanks jaydee,thats was really helpful,we will go that way and really looking forward to it,will let you know how we get on,:thumb::Smile::winky:

We did that route in reverse about 3 years ago - didn't stay at the camp site, but stayed in a Pension very close to centre of town (which is really lovely).

Enjoy the drive even though it is nearly all Autopista (but not tolled as far as I recall).
If you get lost it's not my fault.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi again JayDee, it was great meeting you at Newark.

The post on the route through Spain was excellent and I have copied it for future reference. Do you have an equally good one for getting through France, definitely bypassing Paris and preferrably not on main motorways. We want to head for Toulouse/south of France. We have tried every map, google, mappy michelin etc etc, one is good for this, another for that. etc etc.

What we really want is personal experience of a pleasant route down, (we have never driven abroad before) which is not just endless boring motorway, but is also not bendy narrow roads.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated

Ginny and Michael

Sorry guys. We never seemed to do a straight run through France, except once, in a car, from Cannes and Pat navigated us brilliantly around the Paris Periferique - not for the faint hearted, but very straightforward, as long as you both keep eagle-eyes open for the right exit sign (we missed it first time round, but you can bet we caught it the next time ::bigsmile:). But you want to avoid Paris - don't blame you. Incidentally all your mapping software wants to take you to Paris because those are the fastest most direct roads and Paris is fairly central to France; it takes quite a bit of juggling to avoid it.:Smile:

See my reply to your original thread

John

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi instead of Aranjuez you could try camping El Greco at Toledo open all year CAMPING EL GRECO stayed there this Jan, nice site on hard sand, heated toilet block, 10amp electric I think. If you are late theirs a very large late arrivals carpark next to the camp gates, well of the main road..

Can take RV's to. GPS 39.8653 -4.0472 in decent res on google maps if you want to take a look

Olley

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Olley,
Yes indeed.:thumb: If I was doing the trip I would take in Toledo as we've not been there - what's it like? - worth a visit from what I've heard.
Then I'd go south to Ciudad Real and Cordoba, then Espejo and Montilla, before heading to Malaga, possibly having a look at Link Removed on the way through.

My suggestion of Aranjuez was because (a) it's on the direct route and (b) it is well worth having a look at - particularly whilst listening to Rodrigo's Concierto by the same name. ::bigsmile:

I love Spain - as you can probably deduce. ::bigsmile:

John

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi John unfortunately it was a flying one night stop on our way from Portugal to France, so no siteseeing around Toledo.

I want to go back that way and have a look at some of the moorish buildings especially in Cordova and Grenada, so many sites and so much history to see, and so little time.::bigsmile:

The wife would say "so much shopping" :ROFLMAO:

Olley

TinaGlenn

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Near King's Lynn
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Hi there,
We are actually at the Aranjuez site tonight, and it is a lovely ( GPS ref: N 40 deg 04.243, W 003 deg 59.995 ), pitches of all sizes, nice firm ground, electric and taps on each pitch and great shower blocks, and only charged 14 Euros plus 5 euros for the WiFi if you want it.
One thing I would say is that a lot of the roads in Spain have been renumbered and our tomtom and the mapbook we have (2008 AA edition) did not have the new road systems marked on. We got around the outer Madrid ring road the M50/A4 which is a toll free motorway and easy to drive on. The Spanish police seem to be cracking down on "A" frames, the chap in the ARV next to us has been stopped twice so far :Sad:
This is our first trip abroad with our van and we have been travelling down from Calais over the past week, it has been great fun. We have been picking camp sites out of our ACSI book and using the Aires book for France as we have gone along, no fixed route or timing other than we have to be in Malaga by 7th April ready to go to Morocco.
Good luck with your trip which ever route you take

Tina

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi there,
We are actually at the Aranjuez site tonight, and it is a lovely ( GPS ref: N 40 deg 04.243, W 003 deg 59.995 ), pitches of all sizes, nice firm ground, electric and taps on each pitch and great shower blocks, and only charged 14 Euros plus 5 euros for the WiFi if you want it.
That's great. We haven't stayed there but it looked pretty good on the web and Alan Rogers

One thing I would say is that a lot of the roads in Spain have been renumbered and our tomtom and the mapbook we have (2008 AA edition) did not have the new road systems marked on.
Oh that's just great - all my road numbers are historic, from Autoroute 2007. Sorry Joanie and Ginny, you'll need to double check the road numbers. Grrr. I wish they wouldn't do that

We got around the outer Madrid ring road the M50/A4 which is a toll free motorway and easy to drive on. The Spanish police seem to be cracking down on "A" frames, the chap in the ARV next to us has been stopped twice so far :Sad:
This is our first trip abroad with our van and we have been travelling down from Calais over the past week, it has been great fun. We have been picking camp sites out of our ACSI book and using the Aires book for France as we have gone along, no fixed route or timing other than we have to be in Malaga by 7th April ready to go to Morocco.
Good luck with your trip which ever route you take

Tina

Oh well life a bitch.

Thanks for the update

John

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries