Roof Space Noise Bessacarr E480 (2 Viewers)

Sonoftynedale

Free Member
Apr 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Please can anyone help with this?

Our 2010 Bessacarr E480 motorhome has started making the most peculiar of noises from the roof space just above the Sargent Panel.

Happens most days from about 5pm and goes on for hours. If you touch the roof, you can feel the vibrations the noise if making.

As you can see from one of the videos, with the Sargent panel shutdown, solar panels disconnected and no EHU on the van, we STILL get the noise.
How is it getting power!!!!

Are there any electrical moving parts located within roof space of vans like hours?

Any comments/advice would be gratefully received.

Waiting to hear from Sargent, supplying dealer can't see us until 19th May Many thanks. Martin

OP
OP
S

Sonoftynedale

Free Member
Apr 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Thanks mitzimad, nothing blowing around. The noise is happening now parked up on the driveway. Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I had a similar noise from the roof and it was driving us (well me) crazy and eventually found it was a factory fitted label to the cables from the solar panel coming loose and "buzzing" in the wind. They were under the panel so not obvious when looking on the roof!

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Sounds a bit like a relay buzzing. Have you tried disconnecting the leisure battery whilst it's doing it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sonoftynedale

Free Member
Apr 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Thanks for that Itsmcb. Someone did mentioned it could be a relay switching.

I've just tried disconnecting the leisure battery as suggested and removing the electric mains hook up but the noise still persists.

Where is it getting its power from??? Could it be the vehicle battery?

Many thanks. Martin

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Sounds like it's got err.. like a droning rhythm to it like something turning? 🤔

Some air con condensate pumps sound like that, but they're electric... More thought required 🤔

Upvote 1
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Don't suppose you've got a solar panel mover trying to move the panel 🤔 or anything connected directly to the solar panel?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sonoftynedale

Free Member
Apr 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Solar panels are fixed Richard n Ann, nothings connected. Thanks, Martin

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
On your other you tube video it sounds like a tracker transmitting on the cellular network. You know like when they interfere with a radio. Tick-tick-tick - buzzzzzzz

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
However implausible it may seem that sounds like wings beating on the panelling to me. But I have no explanation as to why it starts around 5pm each day!!! How long ago did it start and has it been every evening?

PS just seen Kirsten's post

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sonoftynedale

Free Member
Apr 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E480
Thanks for all the comments.

The sound is definitely electrical and does change rhythm. Its definitely not bees or wasps, zero evidence of any flight activity!

From your comments I'm thinking its something to do with a relay charging the batteries. Batteries are both fully charged having been on hook up all winter, maybe using the van this weekend will change the situation.

Going to try today with the Charger button in the off position for a change.

Any other advice would be gratefully received. Will try disconnecting the vehicle battery this evening if it starts up again.

Thanks again for all the comments. Regards, Martin

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I think you will find that Swift used to factory fit a system called Tracker retrieve to Bessacarr Motorhomes and they had their own back up battery ,( I came across mine by accident ,when I had one ) Sargent electrical should be able to advise about this when they get back to you and be able to say if a low or old back up battery can cause a tracker to make a noise. (if yours had one, as mine did)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back