Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Hi all,

My front roof light is currently one of these TF 40 units

It is leaking but not all the time, I suspect it may not be a combination of both the body to frame seal and the actual internal rubber seal.

I am happy with removing cleaning and re fitting but wonder if it may be with just fitting a new unit.

However I assume it is manufacturer fitted and they have opted to use the screws from the outside method. Has anyone her ever replaced and NOT used the screws again ? If so what did you do with the old holes ?

I would have gone for a fiamma unit but think it i get the same unit at least if it did have to use the old screws the holes will line up.

Below you will see the manky old sealant and that someone has tried to over seal it with silicon....yuk.

Any advice welcome....before I go for it and remove it.

Cheers

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Silicone is crap as it doesnt stick properly and degrades.
Looking at it it looks like someone had tried to do a coating job rather than removing the roof light and re bedding it
Following on from my rooflight problems then I would choose a dry day, take out the old one clean it all up and rebed it in Sikaflex ( 512 I think) . That would probably be enough to hold it down, you could also fill in the old screw holes with the same mastic. Then leave it 24 hrs to cure properly
I have also used Flashband tape very effectively, especially if you can get at it all the way round to degrease and do the prep properly

Mike

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
That would benefit from a straightforward removal and refitting with none setting mastic, after a good clean up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
The pic of the new one shows a really wide bedding flange so Sikaflex should easily hold it down ok. I wonder if the screw (holes) are the source of the leakage. I'm sure that you could do a tidier joMike

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
I planned to use the non setting mastic on a roll. I definitely want to use non setting mastic. I suspect these roof lights do get damaged etc and require removal so would want to be able to do so if needed.

Water definitely looks as if it gets trapped by the awful silicon job.

The inner rubber seal does not butt up tight to inner leaf of the vent. There is a clear gap so I think in bad weather driven rain gets in too. The inside of the thing is also filthy. I notice it always allows airflow so probably years of dirt.

I will remove and refit including the spoiler the check again.

I think I will end up doing all three fitted to the van for piece of mind.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Roof vents that don't need screws are held by screws from the underside that operate little clamping strips that pull them down onto the roof or by an inner frame that has screws to provide the clamping force. No rooflight is designed to be 'glued' to the roof. And you're right to avoid Sikaflex for rooflights and windows any of which might require removal in future.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Personally I would replace with more modern clear roof lights. Bond down with mastic on a roll. If any old screwholes remain exposed, a good clean and a blob of sika or puraflex pushed into the hole will seal them

that type always look dark and dirty and the newer ones let far more light in

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
That is exactly my thinking Thebig (sorry don't know your name :oops:) what sort is better ? Is the fiamma equivalent any better ? I know a lot fit the heki units.

Thanks for all the helpful replies ...it is much appreciated.

Mark

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I like the Heki units personally

John

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Thanks John, I'll take a look (y)

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Another quick question....do you actually need a spoiler in front of a roof light ? Or are they only for the older style ?
I assume if you have fixed ventilation units like mine they are to help with wind noise....if not needed I can then remove it and remove a potential water trap.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
spoilers are usually only used to cut down wind noise, but with the design of some roofs water can be driven up the leading edge of the rooflight

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
The design of the Heki, looks as if it is also a spoiler....I will try and find the instructions to see if a spoiler is required.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Rooflights come in two flavours vented and unvented the difference is usually a bit of seal is removed to allow ventilation for gas appliances, if yours has a gap it may be there for a reason.
I've just changed three on my van which were sealed down on black tarry mastic best thing to remove it was white spirit but its messy so mask up a decent area around the light before you start ,a thin filling knife was the best tool for getting under the flange .The flange on the hekis should cover any holes i bedded mine onto the ribbon mastic after filling screw holes with stixall First one to 2 hours mainly because i hadnt masked up and had to clean the roof second to forty mins each got my hekis from magnums with 5% discount

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.