Roads you don't like driving on (2 Viewers)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The slip road leaving the M50 at junction 2 towards Ledbury. Totally blind junction at the road intersection, just throttle and go. Whoever designed that junction and the highways department cretins that maintain it in its dangerous state should be made to use it regularly in a Motorhome to experience brown trouser moments for themselves.

I imagine there are some brown trouser moments to for people already on the M50 when a motorhome or other slow moving vehicle pulls out of the junction into their path

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
M25 the traffic jam road !!! Hate hate hate it!!( and I don't drive!)
Another vote for the M25. We have to negotiate it every time we are going to or from the tunnel. Always breath a sigh of relief when we get off it, especially if we've managed to avoid it in 'car park' mode... ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The road in Italy with tunnel after tunnel after tunnel for miles I hated it.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Any motorway where they decide it's a good idea to use hard shoulder to ease congestion . Craziest idea ever! Have broken down on motorway 3 times ( in 40 years) and if hard shoulder had not been there I'd not be here now !
That's what I mean by 'all lanes running'.
The emergency services have complained about them and how few and far between the so called emergency lay-bys are.
These simply aren't long enough for recovery vehicles to attend to a single vehicle, let alone more than one, or a truck.
The matrix signs are supposed to be able to close off the inside lane but if you are already past the sign when it changes you will be heading for a stationary vehicle at 70mph!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The road in Italy with tunnel after tunnel after tunnel for miles I hated it.

Is that the one from the Mont Blanc tunnel down to the motorway? I quite like that one (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The Paris and Toulouse peripheruiques ( or whatever they call them)

And the M25 equivalent around Milan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My worst one to date, on the way to Mount Olympus I was dreading having to come back down it a couple of days later.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
M20 London bound from the tunnel, not only the obvious that we are home again, but truly awful road surface, well it was on Thursday night anyway, possibly worse in the dark o_O

After that just about every bend in Norway seems to have a camber that feels like it trying to chuck you over the edge, particularly bad when there is a many 100' drop off the other side of the barriers o_O

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Not sure it’s been said... haven’t read above....

BUT....

I hate those ferkin ripple count-down markers... when approaching “roondeebouts”... and/or .. 30 zone...

... rattle the van they do.... “fekkers!!!!”

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Without doubt, the M25 south and M20 with all those concrete slabs, budum, budum, drives me insane & shakes the motorhome to bits...some contractor really stitched up the deal there.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
And of course the notorious Applecross - Diabaig route in Scotland
Did that route in the van (admittedly in the opposide direction to your photo, which is easier) a couple of months ago & loved it. :cool: (y)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
At moment route 7 ? Thru Hamburg to Denmark extensive road works lasting for another year till end of 2018 !

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Coming up from lower Wacker onto upper Wacker in Chicago is not for the faint hearted...:eek:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No one mentioned the A15. A MAJOR trunk route from Lincoln to the M180. Awful, Narrow in places, (several LGV`s have run off into the fields) with "soft" verges and big drop`s. Definitely "not fit for purpose". Should have been "dualled" years ago.

As for "interesting" roads, Highway 1!!. (San Simeon to Monterey), SWMBO saw most of it, I was told "keep your eyes on the road not the scenery"!!), we followed a 40+ft R-V towing a tri-axle "Toy Box", boy I bet he was sweating!. OR the "Road to the Sun" in Montana, you cannot take R-V`s on it (Barred). If you drive it you can see why!. But the "bikers" going to Sturgis all Loved it.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Passo Gavia Italy, i've never done it in a motorhome and wouldn't want to, it was scary enough on a Motorbike 2,621 meters and most of it has no barriers and sheer drops in a lot of places.
Indeed. I led a Bmw tour over it this year - preprogrammed route by boss - we had one pillion in tears crying to get back down. Definitely scary especially if a van comes taking up all hairpin.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
In no particular order

The road to work

The road to the dentist

The ones with potholes and speed bumps combined ( here's an idea put the fecking tar from the speed bump in the pothole and hey presto a nice flat road)

Big steep hills with snow on them

Ones that say width restriction 2.1metres when I'm 2.3

The road to nowhere

The road to hell

And the road my ex mother in law lives on

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Indeed. I led a Bmw tour over it this year - preprogrammed route by boss - we had one pillion in tears crying to get back down. Definitely scary especially if a van comes taking up all hairpin.

Was it raining as well? there were four of us on two bikes when we went over it and like yourself one of our party was in tears when we stopped at the bottom of the southern side.

This isn't us but it will show everybody what it's like.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
That's the one!
It wasn't raining but you can see the drop offs. Probably scarier for the pillion as she has chance to look over the edge.
At one point a rider had fewer than 5 cm between his boot and oblivion when forced to avoid oncoming car.
Ive ridden virtually all the Alpin passes and I rate this the scariest.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
All motorways. Boring,boring,boring.
my thoughts as well. but you forgot ,toll roads ,motorways ,dual carriage ways ,any wide road.
much nicer on the smaller roads , drive through as many villages as you can . dont be in a hurry, smile and wave at the locals .
then avoid Aires and campsites the locals will tell you where to parkup.
always take the longest route much more fun than the shortest.
my dad taught me how to play the game , he was right ,great fun .

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Most of Lincolnshire's roads, but from Sutton on Sea to Alford where the edges are broken, and this an A class road supposedly :madder:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back