Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
Hi
Looking for the satellite techies amongst you
Our van came fully equipped with roadpro satellite less than a year old
We bought a new TV and thought all we had to do was plug it in turn the satellite on and we’d be off (That’s about the limit of our knowledge)
In the UK we managed to get programmes but mostly German! Despite ensuring we were searching on Astra 1/2
Now I’m France we can’t seem to get a satellite at all despite ours on the site saying they don’t have a problem
Any help/advice greatly appreciated

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You need Astra 2 for UK channels and also make sure that there is a clear view for it in a SE direction as trees and buildings will block it, try moving the van a little it sometimes doesn’t take much but it will make a difference.(y)(y)

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I Tried to tune our snipe satellite the other day but couldn't find a signal, realised I had used it previously on tv ariel and had selected the wrong A.V input.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Should be OK

Attachments

• FOOTPRINT_2.jpg
    FOOTPRINT_2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 31
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Email or phone Roadpro - they are extremely helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am surprised that people still bother with satellite TV. Watching people trying to get a signal is almost as entertaining as watching tuggers struggling with awnings.
Getting TV via internet is so easy and the cost of a satellite dish will pay for a lot of data.

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
I'm in pretty much the same situation, having inherited a Roadpro sat dome on my van, just a few years old. As well as the TV there is a separate controller box which looks like the one in this video

When I put it onto Astra 2N or 2S, it has once or twice found a lock, but then when running an autotune on the TV only finds German channels. Sometimes it pauses while it is scanning around, and although not showing the lock light, if I turn it off it does find the UK Astra channels.

From what I can glean, the configurations of the satellites themselves change sometimes (every couple of / few years?) and the controller box needs to be updated to match the new config. I spoke to RoadPro today and it seems that there are the following options (finding out was a bit like pulling hens teeth!):

1. Post the controller box to RoadPro - for £50 they will update it and post it back, should take a few days.
1b. Visit them in person I guess - we didn't discuss that option!

2. Purchase a programming box from them for £75 which allows you to do it yourself - they can email you an update, you put it on an SD card and plug it into the box. The product code for the box is D3253 although it's not on their website.

3. They can give you details of a local company who can do the updating for you - some motorhome dealers and satellite companies have the kit.

I can't decide which of these to go for, as I don't know how often it is likely to need doing. But I'm tempted to buy the programming box and be able to do it myself in future.

Obviously this only applies to this controller box, looking at their website it looks like newer systems have a different controller box which may be user-updateable.

Hope this helps.

Paul

OP
OP
Sylvia Want
Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies