RISKING THE SANEF TOLL TAG HEIGHT/WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS?? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I don't see the relationship between Aires and motorway tolls, unless you are advocating the use of motorway Aires for sleeping on which I understand is not the best idea.

Martin

OK,for Mislead.
The difference between class 3 and class 4,is "X" AMOUNT. a Site fee could be 5 times "X" So, you could pay the higher rate ie Class 4 on five tolls,before you have spent the equivilent amount of money on one night at a site,village Aires are mostly free,think about it. It reads about near enough for me,so far. Now i for one don't see "Motorway Aires" as Aires,as mentioned in the first post i made,so to make things Chrystal Clear,to any of the above posters,i mean Aires you will find in Towns or Villages.
So i was NOT advocating sleeping on M/way Aires,just as a matter of interest,the son in law stayed at the m/way services near Hendaye,and his m/home was broken into,while we were at the "Aire" at Hendaye,opposite the railway station and had no trouble at all,he did not have the All France Aires book,he has now.
All i was trying to suggest was it is not the end of the world paying just a bit more,as it can be recouped,times over on FREE, Aires, and telling how it could be,if you enter the HGV gateway and get knocked back. After all,there are members on here,who say you bring monies into the villages/towns and you are giving something back....with one hand.......and failing to pay dues with the other, It's make your mind up time.
Stones/Glass houses ? I have already admitted i am/was a sinner,call it...Confession LOL and apologise to anyone who was mislead.
Tea Bag
PS. As you can see,i struggle with the English language.............. You should see me HERE LOL

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
just stay off the toll roads,, whats the rush anyway.
go slow and look at the country.
i have no choise costs too much for tolls(y)(y)
We plan to use the toll roads as we need to get to Spain as quickly as possible. We are meeting up with a lovely group of motorhome friends in Calpe and are going to be delayed setting off to join them due to a family wedding!
Normally we would take it nice and slow enjoying the journey as part of our trip - but on this occasion we'll take a rush drive down through France and a leisurely drive back!
The toll roads are expensive but sometimes using them is the more convenient option and what you save on fuel and time can often balance things out more favourably. Good that we have these choices in life though isn't it? As that means we can all enjoy our travels in whatever way suits us best at that time!
Happy holidays and safe travels to you both!
Sue x

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Would you knowingly cheat the system if it was in the UK?

The only person that can decide is you, because you or others may be able to get away with something doesn't make it right!

Hi there Matamoros,

Not so much folk trying to CHEAT the system here I don't think but more like we are all trying to get the system to WORK for us!

We ourselves are more than happy to pay our dues but in a more hassle free way that's all! I have a slight mobility issue, so hopping in and out of a high step passenger door to reach up or down as the case may be to pay for or grab a toll ticket is not always easy and often my hubby has to jump out his right hand drivers door to come to my assistance! That doesn't always go down well with the French drivers waiting in the queue behind us I'm afraid to say! Plus it won't be so easy with our new motorhome....... as that doesn't have a drivers cab door!!!!! lol

So, like I say we're not trying to CHEAT anyone - just looking for a more user friendly alternative!

Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Merrily appealing for classe 2 all this week as our sat dome triggers the height sensor. I was sitting in Paris wondering whether the wind up satellite dish next to us might be a better option when its owner had to climb on the roof and re-adjust it. I'll continue to press the button.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
We are 3.1 high and 5 ton tag axle used sanef tag about 10 times in October last year got charged class 4 only once. Just used it twice over the last couple of days and got charged class 4 once so well worth it for me because I am always in a hurry.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
IMO you are taking too big a risk, you are a class 3 vehicle, pay up or avoid tolls, I would not trust the French authorities not to stamp on you and others if caught

How much money are you looking to save, in the whole scheme of things is it really worth it?
Not looking to save money David! Just looking for a more hassle free solution and one that I'm perfectly willing to pay for the privilege of!
Sue

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would you knowingly cheat the system if it was in the UK?

The only person that can decide is you, because you or others may be able to get away with something doesn't make it right!

That isn't how it works.

The tag isn't registered to any particular vehicle, it's registered to the person - you can use the same tag in anything you like be it car, bike or motorhome. You even get several mounting brackets with the tag to make it easy to switch between vehicles. It's the system that decides what class to charge you. The tag does nothing more than identify you to allow them to charge the appropriate amount to your account. It holds no data about the vehicle at all.

It's no different to driving up to a manned window and accepting Class 2.

Deleted User
That isn't how it works.

The tag isn't registered to any particular vehicle, it's registered to the person - you can use the same tag in anything you like be it car, bike or motorhome. You even get several mounting brackets with the tag to make it easy to switch between vehicles. It's the system that decides what class to charge you. The tag does nothing more than identify you to allow them to charge the appropriate amount to your account. It holds no data about the vehicle at all.

But the tag is only valid for class 1 & 2, if you use it in a class 3 or 4 vehicle then you are attempting to cheat the system in my opinion.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Why not get the ferry to santander or bilbao?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But the tag is only valid for class 1 & 2, if you use it in a class 3 or 4 vehicle then you are attempting to cheat the system in my opinion.

No more than you're attempting to cheat the system if you drive up to a manned barrier, are charged class 2 and don't volunteer to pay class 3 or 4. Are you seriously suggesting anyone does that?

The system can, and does, charge you class 3 or 4 even using a tag if that's what it thinks you should be charged.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We're 3.5t and 6.5 long 2.95 high,no tag or twin axle but we were charged class 4 on a motorway last week. There's no arguing with them. Unless your fluent in Spanish. Just paid up and carried on muttering to each other! !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That isn't how it works.

I don't think that's quite true as when you take out the tag you agree to their "terms and conditions" which say that they are not to be used in a vehicle over 3.5T over 3 metres or the agreement I read did. you say it identifies you to allow the system to charge the correct amount, how can that work as the system knows that you are not allowed to use the tag with a class 3 vehicle so it is never going to apply that rate on your account.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
you say it identifies you to allow the system to charge the correct amount, how can that work as the system knows that you are not allowed to use the tag with a class 3 vehicle so it is never going to apply that rate on your account.

Martin

Read this thread, there are examples of it doing exactly that.

Deleted User
No more than you're attempting to cheat the system if you drive up to a manned barrier, are charged class 2 and don't volunteer to pay class 3 or 4. Are you seriously suggesting anyone does that?

The system can, and does, charge you class 3 or 4 even using a tag if that's what it thinks you should be charged.

That is an entirely different scenario, the sanef t&c's clearly state class 1&2 only, if you then lease one with the deliberate intention of using it in higher class vehicle then that is attempting to cheat the system.

I did not know however that the system will charge at the higher rate even though the info says that it will not

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That is an entirely different scenario,

Why is it? If you are charged class 2 instead of class 3 or 4 due to human error and you don't correct them and offer the higher amount how exactly are you not cheating the system?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Read this thread, there are examples of it doing exactly that.
I have read it, but still not seen anything that says it will charge your account more than class 2, why charge a vehicle with a tag class 3 or 4, when class 2 compliance is part of the terms and conditions and you have agreed to be bound by these.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have read it, but still not seen anything that says it will charge your account more than class 2, why charge a vehicle with a tag class 3 or 4, when class 2 compliance is part of the terms and conditions and you have agreed to be bound by these.

Martin

Post #3 (y)

And as I've said you don't get the tag for a specific vehicle and it isn't linked to one. It is issued to you personally. You can then use it in any vehicle you choose. Obviously if you tried to use it with a 44 ton HGV it wouldn't work. If you use it in a motorhome that's overweight or over height and get away with it then as I've said I don't see any difference between that and not offering to pay the higher rate if a person in a booth charges you class 2.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
... in fact. If your tag doesn't work .. (it happens occasionally ) then you speak to the operator and tell them you're a camping car and they let you through. You don't say "hi were a 3.2m high 4.2 tonne ducato motorhome"
I think we only got to pay the higher charge once on a brand new toll booth .. Can't remember where.
But rest assured .. if your tag works then you get charged the lower rate.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And if you ever decide to go to France in a different MH, or your car, or someone else's car you can just put the tag in that vehicle. You don't need to do anything else.

Deleted User
Why is it? If you are charged class 2 instead of class 3 or 4 due to human error and you don't correct them and offer the higher amount how exactly are you not cheating the system?

Technically it is not but I would liken it to finding a pound coin in the street and pocketing it(there is or was an offence of stealing by finding) or seeing someone drop a pound coin and not returning it which is a deliberate act.

Not many would go to the effort of contacting the peage operator to pay an extra few euros but contacting them to try and get a class 3 or 4 vehicle reduced to class 2 as a 'camping car' is a deliberate act to attempt to cheat the system just the same as wrongful use of the sanef tag.

And if you ever decide to go to France in a different MH, or your car, or someone else's car you can just put the tag in that vehicle. You don't need to do anything else.

And if that vehicle is not class 1 or 2 then you would be deliberately attempting to cheat the system.

Post #3 (y)

And as I've said you don't get the tag for a specific vehicle and it isn't linked to one. It is issued to you personally. You can then use it in any vehicle you choose. Obviously if you tried to use it with a 44 ton HGV it wouldn't work. If you use it in a motorhome that's overweight or over height and get away with it then as I've said I don't see any difference between that and not offering to pay the higher rate if a person in a booth charges you class 2.

" get away with it" !!!!! rather proves my point I think!

Deleted User
Hi there Matamoros,

Not so much folk trying to CHEAT the system here I don't think but more like we are all trying to get the system to WORK for us!

We ourselves are more than happy to pay our dues but in a more hassle free way that's all! I have a slight mobility issue, so hopping in and out of a high step passenger door to reach up or down as the case may be to pay for or grab a toll ticket is not always easy and often my hubby has to jump out his right hand drivers door to come to my assistance! That doesn't always go down well with the French drivers waiting in the queue behind us I'm afraid to say! Plus it won't be so easy with our new motorhome....... as that doesn't have a drivers cab door!!!!! lol

So, like I say we're not trying to CHEAT anyone - just looking for a more user friendly alternative!

Sue

In your situation I personally would probably be pragmatic and take the risk but be aware of the possible implications.

If that is not acceptable to you then simply take your time at the toll booths and ignore the tooting horns, I have been held up many times, it happens!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Post #3 (y)

Post #3 says that the tag still worked in a 4.5T vehicle and the poster does not say at what class it charged but I believe they mean class 2 so charged incorrectly as they then say the ticket only toll booth charged s higher rate.

Anyway I don't have one and won't be getting one as my interpretation of the eligibility criteria is different to yours so I am out.

Martin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am interested in getting a Sanef tag, so have followed this thread with interest. However it now seems to be producing more heat than light to me. :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
" get away with it" !!!!! rather proves my point I think!

I think it rather proves mine. You see nothing wrong with deliberately cheating a human operator but are condemning people who use accounts the same way.

Double standards?

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
So to all those who disagree with using a Sanef with a Class 3 vehicle, a question, especially if your mohome is over 3mt.

How many times when you have been at the toll booth and it as classified you as Class 2 have you pressed the button and said " excuse me, but l think you have undercharged me - l'm really Class 3 please uprate me "

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So to all those who disagree with using a Sanef with a Class 3 vehicle, a question, especially if your mohome is over 3mt.

How many times when you have been at the toll booth and it as classified you as Class 2 have you pressed the button and said " excuse me, but l think you have undercharged me - l'm really Class 3 please uprate me "

Ahh you aren't allowed to ask them that. ;)

Because it's what they all do it's different and perfectly acceptable to deliberately cheat the human operators.

It's only those of us that use a tag that are contributing to the fall of Western civilisation (y)

Deleted User
I think it rather proves mine. You see nothing wrong with deliberately cheating a human operator but are condemning people who use accounts the same way.

Double standards?
Not at all, one is a deliberate act, one is an act of omission.

Have to agree to differ on that one I think.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Post #3 says that the tag still worked in a 4.5T vehicle and the poster does not say at what class it charged but I believe they mean class 2 so charged incorrectly as they then say the ticket only toll booth charged s higher rate.

Anyway I don't have one and won't be getting one as my interpretation of the eligibility criteria is different to yours so I am out.

Martin

Hi Martin.
We tick all the boxes,3.5t- 2.9 mts. When trying to show the difference between Toll/Fuel costs to Spain as against the ferry,i got first wife to look at our bill fron Sanef.......
I will be looking at that bill again,i don't "Do money",but i thought it was a bit high,so perhaps it DOES charge a higher rate accidentally........ Naughty TAG LOL.
Just for the record,i "Nip" along, (Sinner!) but the only thing i will say to SkeggySue.. ......... Buddy Holly Fan ?
Use the Tag by all means,but. Do not use the HGV gates,the lorries can go through at 30km and hour,there are often long lines of them approaching at this speed,so if you get stopped at the barrier,you are in DEEP poo.
Best of luck and safe journey,must go now,i feel the need,the need for...Speed!!
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back