Rip Off Britain (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Our worst business here is the government and it could save miles of cash with their useless administration disasters but its never going to happen so I suppose we have to accept what we have.:Sad:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------edit
Businesses here are crashing everywhere and this is an alarming thing for all of us as they are the countries backbone and things should be done to stop it and bailing out the banks is not working, what's the answer? I don't know

What can we do NOTHING am I happy NOT REALLY where do I always love to come back to though is my HOME:Smile:
--------------------------------------------------------------sorry quote/edit gone wrong.

No, I disagree, you can:- Join it, fight it, or leave it.
Doug

Last edited:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
my rule of thumb is that if when i am buying anything i ? am i willing to pay that to get what I want? am i being ripped off? can i get the same cheaper? so i do try to shop around and also with large purchases (paint job on the rv for instance) ask around, go see them, look at previous work, then if I am happy as I can be then i agree and pay, recently got qouted £700 which i was happy to accept, but upon collection a week later only £650 result,:thumb: and I would go back there and also recommend others to do so too, I am sure that we have all been ripped off at one time or another but you learn from this expeience, and try not to let it happen again, moral of the story if you are happy to pay then you are not being ripped off, if you are not happy to pay then don't ,go elsewhere, but don't moan about what you were charged when you agreed to the price in the first place.::bigsmile:

another example we pay more for storing of the motorhome than is the norm but we are willing to pay because, it is secure, they have autogas on site, & 2 minutes from the motorway network, and plenty of room, so we are willing to pay what we pay because it is worth it to us, but there are probably many who wouldn't pay and thats ok because we have a choice, then there are those who want something for nothing, or nearly, at the end of the day the choice is yours. so shop and enjoy::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

garfield

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
North west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
40yrs
We have gone to France Spain or Ireland for the past few years, and I have found that the site fees have crept up, and with the Euro exchange rate as it is I have found that it is a lot dearer than England.
This year I have booked a site in Cornwall with electric, bar restraunt and swiming pool for a tenner a night. £100 quid for diesel 14 days £240 where is the rip off?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dawn

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
We have gone to France Spain or Ireland for the past few years, and I have found that the site fees have crept up, and with the Euro exchange rate as it is I have found that it is a lot dearer than England.
This year I have booked a site in Cornwall with electric, bar restraunt and swiming pool for a tenner a night. £100 quid for diesel 14 days £240 where is the rip off?

Sounds good :thumb:
Do you have a link ??? we love Cornwall ::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Our worst business here is the government and it could save miles of cash with their useless administration disasters but its never going to happen so I suppose we have to accept what we have.:Sad:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------edit
Businesses here are crashing everywhere and this is an alarming thing for all of us as they are the countries backbone and things should be done to stop it and bailing out the banks is not working, what's the answer? I don't know

What can we do NOTHING am I happy NOT REALLY where do I always love to come back to though is my HOME:Smile:
--------------------------------------------------------------sorry quote/edit gone wrong.

No, I disagree, you can:- Join it, fight it, or leave it.
Doug

I cant lead a revolution as I am only one:winky:

I cant leave as I have a elderly parent needing care full-time and my health sadly needs the NHS, I cant go to another country and rely on being so well looked after as I am being nowadays:winky:

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ok, I wont come to your door, its no problem for ME! However, you well may be an honest trader, and if so I appologise, but my comments are taken from a general and personel experiences.

OK, suppose I after visiting half a dozen dishonest one's before you, how do you expect me to think/believe/hope that you may be the one honest one in the bunch.

You surly must recognise the public opinion in the UK! and before you all jump on my back, just stand back for a few minutes and thing about it, are you happy with your lot? would you like to make changes?

Doug

But you didn't answer my question Doug,:

"All I can say to Doug is if you really believe all UK businesses are dishonest and corrupt why are you still here??"

And it wouldn't hurt you to use a spell checker occasionally:thumb:.

D.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what people complain about ...

From the 'Rip Of Britain' web Site ..

Britain's Top Rip Offs

As polled in a survey of over 8,000 e-mail and website responses:
(presented in random order)

Fraudulent schemes & scams
Shoddy goods & poor service
Unqualified & rogue trades people
Unscrupulous business practices
Bank charges & bad practices
Fraudulent e-mails
Water & energy companies
Council Tax *
Railway fares
High interest store & credit cards
Mobile phone charges
Capital Gains Tax *
Fuel duty *
House selling/buying practices
Inheritance tax *
Stamp duty *
Speed cameras *
Premium Rate phone numbers
Postal charges
Wages below the minimum
Low Old Age Pensions
High taxation of the poorest *
Motorway restaurants
Endowment policies & mis-selling
The demise of Final Salary pensions
Government wasting our money
Membership of the Euro
Stealth taxation *
CD's, DVD's
Car prices
Electrical goods
Hotel accommodation
TV Licence fee *
Food prices (supermarkets)
Extended warranties
Loan protection insurance
Import duty *
Value added tax (VAT) *

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

Britain's Top Rip Offs

Fraudulent schemes & scams
Shoddy goods & poor service
Unqualified & rogue trades people
Unscrupulous business practices
Bank charges & bad practices
Fraudulent e-mails
Water & energy companies
Council Tax *
Railway fares
High interest store & credit cards
Mobile phone charges
Capital Gains Tax *
Fuel duty *
House selling/buying practices
Inheritance tax *
Stamp duty *
Speed cameras *
Premium Rate phone numbers
Postal charges
Wages below the minimum
Low Old Age Pensions
High taxation of the poorest *
Motorway restaurants
Endowment policies & mis-selling
The demise of Final Salary pensions
Government wasting our money
Membership of the Euro
Stealth taxation *
CD's, DVD's
Car prices
Electrical goods
Hotel accommodation
TV Licence fee *
Food prices (supermarkets)
Extended warranties
Loan protection insurance
Import duty *
Value added tax (VAT) *

That is some list. I bet you though that if a similar poll were conducted in any country, anywhere in Europe, the list would be just as long.
There are people and organisations quite happy to seperate the unwary from their money in all countries.
Britain, is on the whole, no more a rip off country than anywhere else you care to go, and at the moment probably one of the cheapest countries to spend a holiday in in the EU.
I like to do a UK tour at least once a year and since the demise of the pound have found things are much cheaper there, than Spain, France, Germany, Portugal etc.
Would I want to live there ? No thanks it's too flipping cold !

Pete:Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Britain's Top Rip Offs

Greatest of respect to you Jim but I notice that on the web site itself it says "As polled in a survey of over 8,000 e-mail and website responses from 1999 to 2005". It would appear, then, that it was a poll of people who were already of the opinion that they were being ripped off as opposed to a poll of a representative cross section of the country as a whole.

I see that the guy who runs that web site doesn't even live in this country but he still claims to be "The Consumers Champion" (sic) despite having no electoral mandate.

Graham

S

sinbad1

Deleted User

"All I can say to Doug is if you really believe all UK businesses are dishonest and corrupt why are you still here??"

D.

You certainly know how to drum up business:Doh:

Please add me to your blacklist:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Greatest of respect to you Jim but I notice that on the web site itself it says "As polled in a survey of over 8,000 e-mail and website responses from 1999 to 2005". It would appear, then, that it was a poll of people who were already of the opinion that they were being ripped off as opposed to a poll of a representative cross section of the country as a whole.

I see that the guy who runs that web site doesn't even live in this country but he still claims to be "The Consumers Champion" (sic) despite having no electoral mandate.

Graham

Hi Graham,

The point of posting was simply to show how diverse people think who is ripping them off .. as you can see from the list it is wide ranging.. but doesn't include camp sites.. :roflmto:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

D.

I am also disabled, do you want to make fun of that as well, go on have a good laugh.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sorry to say that I think unfortunately this thread has moved from fun to chaos.

I really don't think that this is what motorhomefun is all about, neither do I think that the original posters intention would of been to have people throw insults at each other.
considering the site is free and no one is being ripped off on here

sad really. :Blush::Blush:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Ok, I wont come to your door, its no problem for ME! However, you well may be an honest trader, and if so I apologize, but my comments are taken from a general and personal experiences.

OK, suppose I after visiting half a dozen dishonest one's before you, how do you expect me to think/believe/hope that you may be the one honest one in the bunch.

You surly must recognise the public opinion in the UK! and before you all jump on my back, just stand back for a few minutes and thing about it, are you happy with your lot? would you like to make changes?

Doug

Just to set the record straight, I have used the services of Dave Newell , I find him an extremely honest chap who does a first rate job !!! I would recommend him to any motor homer !! spell check used.....!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Sorry to say that I think unfortunately this thread has moved from fun to chaos.

I really don't think that this is what motorhomefun is all about.....
Blimey hags.....three days ago you said
I think I will drop out of this thread now.

Cant resist the temptation or are you a bit of a masochist? ::bigsmile:

Dont you just lurrrrve it in here??? :roflmto:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I am also disabled, do you want to make fun of that as well, go on have a good laugh.

There's a world of difference between being someone who is disabled and someone who is too lazy to use a spellchecker.

Forums in general are riddled with people who have no pride is what they write and post replies in a manner that one would not expect from a decent five year old.

Some of you may be very proud of your appalling standard of English but others find it very tiring.

No one is perfect and we all make mistakes (especially me) but some effort could be made to make the posts a little easier to understand.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....some effort could be made to make the posts a little easier to understand.
At the risk of going 'off topic'.....not that it matters that much as it went off some days ago now :roflmto: I have to admit a little basic grammar does go a long way.

when peple start ritingposts in threds withno a breveaitonor an canotfin the key forupa case ithink its time tocal it aday onthacomputer youkno wotimeenthat itall becumsilejibel and you canot reed wotthe helthay ar on boutit also get very tyringand ijust giv up tryngto makesens ofwotthay ar onboutit becumsimposibel :Doh: :RollEyes:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
At the risk of going 'off topic'.....not that it matters that much as it went off some days ago now :roflmto: I have to admit a little basic grammar does go a long way.

when peple start ritingposts in threds withno a breveaitonor an canotfin the key forupa case ithink its time tocal it aday onthacomputer youkno wotimeenthat itall becumsilejibel and you canot reed wotthe helthay ar on boutit also get very tyringand ijust giv up tryngto makesens ofwotthay ar onboutit becumsimposibel :Doh: :RollEyes:

Eye no wot u sayin BG:winky::roflmto:

BTW my spellchecker blew a fuse quoting your last post:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

daveandjanstaffs

Free Member
May 11, 2008
Funster No
WOW!!!!

That all got a bit heated eh! Talking of heated, we have just come back from a month in Oz, touring in a campervan, that sure aint rip off in any way. We paid a tenner a night for all facilities, camp kitchen, showers etc, seperate waste and water on all sites, most we had to our selves, with a 10 mile stretch of beach, white sand, blue skies all to ourselves again. We stayed extra nighta at one site as we were the only people there. Would recommend to anyone.:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
ripped off or one of natures victims?

The thing that always amazes me on these types of threads is who rips all these people off?

Who works for all these companies that rips every one off? who provides crap service at restaurants. social services, garages, main dealers, DVD suppliers, car park attendants, shop staff, carpenters, mechanics, plumbers, builders electricians, hairdressers, beauticians, librarians and every other facet of “Rip off Britain”

I have a saying that "We are al general public to everyone else" must apply here!

Perhaps if you feel persecuted the first step is to try harder to be nice and provide a better service or attitude in every thing that we do, whether as a user or provider of a service or a skill.

However I do think that threads like “Rip off Britain” are overly emotive and don’t really bring out the best in anyone.

I am proud to be British and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. For every example of being ripped off, I could find a similar example elsewhere. This campsite cost this……….Ah but I paid £30 for one in the middle of such an such! Sorry it is meaningless. I paid £20 and found a better cleaner nicer one next door for £10 I agree, rip off, but there again I would look a both before booking!

I do not see myself as a victim so therefore do not think that I am ripped off overly much, I definitely don’t get ripped off twice. If I go somewhere and get crap service I complain and expect to see some thing doe about it.

I do however, have the ability to use my sliding scale, this is some thing that many here don’t seem to have.

If I go to Joe’s Café and have a breakfast (not very often as My wife wont let me) If the food isn’t fantastic or there is a chip on the tea mug, I find it hard to complain if the breakfast is costing me £3.95

Alternatively if I am staying in an expensive hotel and the food isn’t up to much I will complain as I should e able to expect decent food when I am being charged a lot for the whole package.

In any case neither are rip off Instead logical choices that I have made to suit the need or purpose that I have at the time.

So there you have it! Be nice, play nice and you’ll loose that short sighted pinched nose narrow minded attitude that some have that the world is out to get them!

Eddie

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi all

I have to agree with Eddie about a sliding scale it makes sense :thumb:. To apply a sliding scale to your daily life gives you a more reasonable outlook. You can be more subjective rather than saying everyone/place is a rip off. This way you become more thoughtful and caring in your dealings with others.

Remember rip off is relative to you and not everyone else. They probably have a different set of values to you.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Well Doug I apologise if you were upset by my remark about a spell checker, it wasn't intended as poking fun just an observation. Many people have problems with spelling and I don't criticise them for it but a spell checker is not difficult to find or use and I personally find it easier to read words that are spelled correctly. I have the Google toolbar on my web browser and that includes a spell checker which checks everything I write as I go, if I make a spelling mistake it highlights it with a red underline so its easy to see if I've made a mistake.

As for laughing at your disability I most certainly wouldn't dream of it, I've been there myself and at one point I was in a wheelchair 50% of the time so I do know what it feels like.

Once again I apologise if I offended you, I certainly didn't mean to.

D.

P.S. you still didn't answer my question:winky:::bigsmile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As for laughing at your disability I most certainly wouldn't dream of it, I've been there myself and at one point I was in a wheelchair 50% of the time so I do know what it feels like.

Once again I apologise if I offended you, I certainly didn't mean to.

D.

P.S. you still didn't answer my question:winky:::bigsmile:

Don't worry Dave he is playing the sympathy vote. You never mentioned his disablility...He did. It's a ploy to garner support.

You responded quite reasonably as he suggested that all business's are rip of merchants. He said a couple of weeks ago that all camp sites were ripping people off as well.

Eddie

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I phone a camp-site I fancy and ask the price, if its to much I move on to the next, but if they ask £5 a night for my dog I think to myself "that's a rip off" or they don't wont dogs but just don't say so.

The thing is this could be in any country:winky:

ccl

Free Member
Sep 22, 2008
Rheindahlen, Germany
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
< 1 year
We are going to Disneyland Paris in a couple off days and I think it might reset my perspective as to what counts as being ripped off!:Eeek:

I hope my spelling is up to standard for this thread!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back