Jun 29, 2017
Storrington, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off for about 15 years
Hi all
We have just bought a new (s/h) motorhome, having had a shared one before.
Our first thought insurance-wise was to go to the CC.

My husband is a very fit 81 year old, I am 68, so we wanted to put insurance in my name with husband as named driver. He had a small prang 4 years ago in our car, I have 9 yrs no claims.

Our quote with CC was £1300. We ended up with Adrian Flux at £1100 approx.

This is an outrageous amount! Does anyone have any thoughts or comments please for next year when we renew? Thanks

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
My search starts in earnest on Saturday and may take all day. Did you accept the first quote you got? I will be asking for many quotes.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Did you not try Safeguard and Comfort.. ??
They are two of the most popular..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Try Saga. Do your enquiry on the phone, not on their website (my online quote was more than twice what I bought it for on the phone).

ALSO:
You have a minimum of 14 days to change your mind on the insurance you've bought, be prepared to take advantage of this. (You may have to pay an admin charge, & an amount for the days you've been covered.)
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...urance-policy/cancelling-an-insurance-policy/

OP
OP
T

Turrells

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Storrington, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all who replied. We did our quotes by phone, not online, but we were up against it time-wise, as booked to go on our first trip.

My husband spends hours on the phone renewing all other insurances and getting best quote. Our 14 days is up but he will try other companies to see what they come up with. It may be worth paying cancellation costs for a better quote.

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Good luck :)
It's not nice feeling ripped off when you just want to relax & have a nice holiday.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I'm afraid your ages count against you.
Always worth shopping round but always check the cover.

OP
OP
T

Turrells

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Storrington, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Good news - husband just rang Comfort who quoted £450! How on earth can the quotes be so different?

Theonlysue - I take your point, but how many 20-40 year old motorhome owners do you know?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would try quotes without your husband as a named driver, I expect that is what pushing the price up. probably get it down to around £300.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Good news - husband just rang Comfort who quoted £450! How on earth can the quotes be so different?
Wow! That's worth taking a hit on cancellation fees!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We went to Adrian Flux for a quote with them being in the same village.
They simply revealed themselves to be rip off merchants with a premium which obviously subsidizes their boy racer and modified policies.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We went to Adrian Flux for a quote with them being in the same village.
They simply revealed themselves to be rip off merchants with a premium which obviously subsidizes their boy racer and modified policies.
ABI are just as bad when I got a quote from them they doubled the price because I was self importing.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Our friend Billy (emoore on here) used Saga and he's 91. Certainly worth a try. His wife doesn't drive so it's just him driving.

Denise

OP
OP
T

Turrells

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
Storrington, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you all for your replies/advice. Re the comment about Adrian Flux, they were recommended by other motorhomers (forgotten where), but I think your comment is spot-on.

They told my husband yesterday that we would be getting a refund of £710, but he was not happy with that so spoke to them again this morning and the figure is now £814! Why didn't they offer this first time? Insurance is a real minefield and often a rip-off.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Congratulations! So pleased you've achieved a positive outcome. Hope all goes well for you from here on!

I hope you don't mind me mentioning, but I see you haven't yet subscribed to the forum (I think lots of people don't notice the option and, let's face it, you've had a lot on your plate). It feels as though you're already fully-fledged members with a crisis resolved!

It's a very reasonable annual fee - the best £15 you'll ever spend! and certainly better value than your Adrian Flux insurance :giggler: - and gives you unlimited access to everything on Fun which, as you've already discovered, is a goldmine of information, advice, support, jokes, friendship, banter and.. well... FUN!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Saga are getting a reputation of being very expensive now, as I found out when I recently changed cars.

I've been with them for both the M/H and car for years but their quote last month was twice Direct Line's price!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
All our insurances are now with Saga, including the house, with very competitive prices. eg for my borrowed m/h it's less than half any other quote I got, with much better cover!
I don't understand their pricing. How much is dependent on postcode? How much on who answers the phone & what they had for breakfast? :confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back