Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Hi all,
Justinstalled a reversing camera. Camera wired into reverse light, wireless monitor wired into loom. Question is; I know that MOTs are getting more picky, so if I remove the interier mirror (useles due to the hight of back window) and put the monitor in the same position, would the examiner fail it.
I know of people getting a fail due to Sat navs on Dash:Eeek:, furry dice hanging from mirror:Eeek:.
What's the verdict Funsters.

Don

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Don.I am looking to fit a rear facing Camera to the RV because there is no visibility whatsoever.The Bathroom being in the way, and even with the door open, the glass is tinted.I want to run the camera all the time though.Same question to the panel.It's just passed the MOT with the original mirror which is totally useless, in place.Steve.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Don you have wing mirrors :thumb: so do not need windscreen mirror ::bigsmile: take it off :thumb: if you do not have one they cannot fail the test :ROFLMAO: bit like spare wheel if you do not have one they cannot fail that
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Bit off topic but search ebay for wireless camera, theres some good ones available for around £90 and NO WIRES or dangly bits.

Peter

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Peter,I have been there and found a few.Prefer the wired ones as there should be no break up of image while mobile.Just wondered if it was legal to use one as a rear-view mirror.Would be handy when towing.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Wait for Geo's response when the idle B******* wakes up, he is an MOT tester although how can there be a legal requirement for a inside cab rear view mirror in a MH, what do articulated lorries have, you can't see through a trailer!

Peter

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Exactly Peter.:thumb:

Is there a requirement for an interior Rear-View mirror in a Motorhome.
Mine has had one fitted since it was built, (29 years!!!!)

I would really like to have rear-view facility to keep an eye on the missus behind me.:ROFLMAO:

If there is an MOT issue I'll have to remember to take it down and put the normal mirror in it's place.:Doh:

That said, I have found an interesting one that looks like a mirror until it's powered up.:winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

I found this >>HERE<< Is it correct?

Driver's View;

The drivers view must not be hindered in anyway, so out go the fluffy dice and baby on board stickers, at least for the test!

The windscreen must be free of cracks and damage, although small stones chips can be ignored as long as they are not obscuring the driver's field of view. Area 'A' (see diagram) is the 'critical' area. Within this area any chip or crack that obscures the driver's view has to be below a maximum diameter of 10mm. The remaining area that is of concern for the MOT tester is that which the wipers sweep across. Within this region the cracks and spots must not exceed a diameter of 40mm

wscreen.jpg

Interior and externals mirrors must be securely and correctly fitted, and must be there if fitted as standard. They should not be damaged as to hinder rearward vision and must operate correctly.

Both front doors must be able to be opened from within the vehicle.

OP
OP
Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Last passage says it all;
"Discretion;

Many MOT items are left up to the discretion of the MOT tester. Is the exhaust too rusty, wheel bearing slightly loose, slight leak from suspension strut? At the end of the day the final say goes to the person who has carried out the check on your car. It has been said that the tester must use his judgement as he sees fit. One way could be if the tester would be happy if a friend or relative was using the car. If he/she is happy in that respect, then a pass certificate should be yours.

From personal experience, I've had passes with notes expressing rusty brake pipes, rusty exhaust and a leaky strut. These items weren't noted on the next MOT, yet none of those items had been changed or tampered in anyway.

One final note. A valid MOT is not a 100% guarantee that the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition! "

Don

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back