JudeC

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
2004 Xpedition 200
Exp
COMPLETE beginner.
Would welcome recommendations / advice in regards of best reversing camera please . Preferably the ones that show the parking lines. Thanks.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
There are two main types.
Wired or wireless.
Vision Plus Ranger are quite good.
Lots of cheapy wireless types on ebay.
Typically they should only be used when reversing but most people have them on all the time.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There are two main types.
Wired or wireless.
Vision Plus Ranger are quite good.
Lots of cheapy wireless types on ebay.
Typically they should only be used when reversing but most people have them on all the time.
Why should they only be used when reversing, mine is on all the time, it’s like having a rear view mirror

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JudeC

JudeC

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
2004 Xpedition 200
Exp
COMPLETE beginner.
Thanks, will research all and any suggestions. I'm given to understand that wired are better. Want something that will be reliable. Garage will have to fit it. Just want to make sure don't hit anything in blind spot when reversing so just attached to reversing lights?

Upvote 0

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Most people have them on all the time. Some people have them wired up to a reverse feed. Some people have them working from a 12V switch.
I think technically they should be wired up as a reversing camera to comply with the law but they are very useful if on all the time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mrh74

Free Member
May 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
A S Northants
Exp
since 2019
Ours has two views, one that is straight down for reversing, which switches on when selecting reverse, when going forward there's a view which shows an image just like a normal rear view mirror, it's not recording but is useful to see who is hard on your tail!

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Interesting that the new DAF trucks have several live cameras with a monitor in front of the driver.
One of mine was live all the time until it went pop. Didn't even think about legality until the forum spooked me. I doubt we'll see any prosecutions.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Ours has two views, one that is straight down for reversing, which switches on when selecting reverse, when going forward there's a view which shows an image just like a normal rear view mirror, it's not recording but is useful to see who is hard on your tail!
That's my normal setup but arguably illegal at the moment apparently

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I have a Garmin BC40 wireless reversing camera on my ‘van, a 7m Elddis Majestic, which displays on my Garmin sat. nav. It is battery operated so no wiring involved, and is attached to the top of the rear number plate. Very pleased with it, and it has been a very worthwhile investment - much cheaper than having reversing sensors fitted......!
(y)

Upvote 0

mrh74

Free Member
May 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
A S Northants
Exp
since 2019
That's my normal setup but arguably illegal at the moment apparently
Damn, I'll have to get ready to switch it off when I see an officer of the law around, mind you that's probably even worse as I'll be removing a hand from the steering wheel and not able to do the 10 to 2 properly ;-)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JudeC

JudeC

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
2004 Xpedition 200
Exp
COMPLETE beginner.
I have a Garmin BC40 wireless reversing camera on my ‘van, a 7m Elddis Majestic, which displays on my Garmin sat. nav. It is battery operated so no wiring involved, and is attached to the top of the rear number plate. Very pleased with it, and it has been a very worthwhile investment - much cheaper than having reversing sensors fitted......!
(y)
Do you get a good enough view with camera sited above number plate? I was under impression camera best sited at 'top' of van. Have you had any glitches with the wireless? Obviously easier to fit. Thanks

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
One of mine was live all the time until it went pop. Didn't even think about legality until the forum spooked me. I doubt we'll see any prosecutions.
I believe the wording of the relevant legislation specifies live video not related to the operation of the vehicle. If it didn't then most modern instrument panels, infotainment systems, and GPS units would be illegal too.

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Do you get a good enough view with camera sited above number plate? I was under impression camera best sited at 'top' of van. Have you had any glitches with the wireless? Obviously easier to fit. Thanks
I find the placement above the number plate just right as it shows what you are reversing towards from a low-level perspective, thereby picking up posts, etc. that a higher camera might not see, depending on the angle of view. As our ‘van has a rear washroom and fixed bed, Elddis had fitted a high-level camera/monitor set up in place of a rear-view mirror, which is great for its purpose - to see the road behind when driving - but not so good for reversing as it does not show nearer than about 3 metres from the van rear (a dual camera would be better, but would still necessitate wiring alterations, etc.). On our previous ‘van, also an Elddis, we had reversing sensors fitted, but I always felt that a rear-view camera would be more useful which is another reason we didn’t bother with our new van, and I bought the camera instead. Connection-wise, the camera has never given any problems, and the Garmin sat. nav. always defaults to the rear view on engine switch-on, and can be switched to rear-view by either voice or touch screen. The picture is not full-HD, but 720p, I believe. However, on a 7” screen, that is not a problem for me. The main reasons I settled on the BC40 were that no wiring was required (just remove the rear number plate, fit the supplied holder, refit the number plate and attach the camera) and that I had a compatible Garmin sat. nav. - the Garmin web site has all the details. The batteries in my camera have been in since June last year and are still ok - I guess it depends how much you use it!
A couple of other Funsters also have the BC40 - they may wish to comment?
Let us know what you decide to do.

Andy (y) :cool:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I fitted a twin camera wired system from reversing cameras uk.
It works well but a bit flary if used a night- but then I dont drive the 'van in the dark if I can help it.
it switches from a distant to a local view when the reversing light comes on. Fitted it above the high level brake light and is much better than the partially obstructed rear view mirror.
Had an official tv in my Post Office Van for investigating tv interference, that was a bit iffy at the time and the Law then said that the TV (with CRT!) must not be in view of the driver so I guess Tony's point is the update to that Law
Mike

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Does anyone want to post a link to suggest that safety cameras cannot be used whilst driving?

My car has cameras at the front, back and along both sides that automatically work, my motorhome switches to the cameras embedded in the mirrors when I indicate either way, and buses and trucks have blind spot cameras to save them swiquishing cyclists when turning left

Busses and coaches have CCTV internally as do many taxis

I think that some are confusing the word "video" (what old people call recording something ;) ) No you cannot "watch" a video, so watching "Convoy" driving down the M5 behind your mate on the way to the ferry is a no no! :rofl:

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Slightly off topic. Our reversing camera is built into the media system. Separate lens gives rear mirror view. When the rear mirror view is chosen I cannot view sat nav. Therefore we use a stand alone sat nav as I like to see what's behind. I see this as a bit of a waste. I preferred the monitor types in rear view mirror that we had on previous Mh's.

Upvote 0

Peterd

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I have the Garmin with BC40 set up but I have 2 Campark X20 action cameras that I am setting up to act as a rearview mirror and dashcam. One will be connected to my mobile and the other to my wife's. Both will be powered by powerbanks. I have a 2008 Adria Twin now just need to see if it works

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JudeC

JudeC

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
2004 Xpedition 200
Exp
COMPLETE beginner.
Thanks everyone for all advice above. Andy PK you wanted to know what I go for..It's taken me an age to get my act together but am just ordering a Garmin 770SatNav and the BC40 camera. Unfortunately the number pate is inset so I think the camera will have to go higher. Am wondering it I could put it in the back window. Anyone any thoughts on that?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back