Reversing Camera question..???? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Has anyone fitted a "Wireless Reversing Camera"...

To their Motorhome or preferably an ordinary Ford Transit panel van..???

And does/did it work OK..

:thanks3:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
They are not great Mo and you pick up signals from other cameras with some. I ran a wired one in my transit, which is very easy if you can manage simple wiring. If you are not planning on keeping the van, go with a simple plug and play wireless chinese ones Mo. Then pull it out when you sell to fit on your next van

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’ve got the reversing camera in the high brake light that came with the van. Great for looking straight down, but not great for looking straight back.

I’ve fitted an Autovox Solar to the rear number plate that is ideal for looking straight back.

Pro’s.....easy to fit solar camera, easy 12v plug in power supply to dash socket, good picture on dashboard monitor.

Con’s...... Screen vibrates a little on my dash when driving, you need to push a button to active the camera.

There’s some good videos on the internet about it. I’ve done about 1000 miles with it fitted and never lost the picture or had any interference.

The picture isn’t as good as the van fitted camera, but good enough for what I wanted, which was to see straight back. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I glued one to the bck window of a converted transit I had. Worked ok but needed a switched fee to drive it, was only the picture that was wireless. I did read on another post a week or so ago you can get battery powered ones now

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
I got a cheap Chinese one - works perfectly, I fitted a door activation unit which allows me to move the camera either down to view when reversing or up when driving so I can see traffic behind

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
The Autovox as a solar panel that fits on the bottom of the number plate and connects to the camera.

Initial USB charge and then the solar panel takes over. Obviously not much good if you’re parked indoors.

It’s the view screen in the van that needs to be plugged into your 12v socket. (y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Got a wireless Garmin camera feeding into my Garmin 760 sat nag, VeryOldFella, 8m away it works fine. :gum:

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
We have a Garmin BC40 transmitting wirelessly to an Avtex Tourer Two satnav and it works fine for reversing purposes.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

@Ian J. Winfield ..... And .... . AndyPK

Those BC40 ones you speak about... I have been researching them with the notion of putting one in my car..

But all the adds on fleabay say they have to be married to a Garmin Sat-Nav.

Is this so..???

And is it easy for a numpty to do, I am not even sure what sat-nav I have.. :doh:

I don`t want to put a wired one in, in case I null and void the warranty on the car.. plus I don`t think I have the knowledge to do all the wiring..

Honda do not do an after market one.... They said I should have ordered the next spec car up.. then I would of had a reversing camera...:banghead:

I have ordered a reasonable wired one for my van, which I hope I can fit.. :smiley:

The wife has stolen my car... till we move and I buy her another one, and she likes the reversing camera..

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Yes, old-mo, you do need a compatible Garmin sat-nav - the list is on the Garmin website - but it is very easy to pair with the camera, and to select the camera you touch the icon on the sat-nav screen , or use voice-activation....
The most technical part of the installation is removing your existing rear number plate, and refitting it with the Garmin-supplied camera/number plate bracket. I’ll dig out the instructions when I’m awake, and post them on here! (y) ;)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just a thought, what about trying something like this from Amazon, if you did like it it’s easy to return.
D93CEEE5-D6F8-4135-BC2E-3F3BC9434D13.png

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks for the previous suggestions.... but... Not sure I could make a neat hole to poke the plug bit`s through the car..

And a bit wary about the wiring...:whew:

Do they do one with on board batteries so there is NO wiring at all..?

I have scoured the tiinternet to no avail, but there may be one out there..

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
That looks OK, and easy to fit... (I think)...

Does the car have to be outside for the solar bit to work.??

:thanks3:

Ideally yes, to charge the panel. However, it does have a USB charge socket on the solar panel if your vehicle is parked under cover for any length of time.

The initial charge is good for 60 hours use, the camera goes to sleep when not in use. 30 minutes in bright sunshine (longer when overcast of course) will be good enough for 30 days. Not checked these figures, but mine gets light all the time.(y)

May 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Yosemite
Exp
Since summer 2019
I echo what AndyPK said. Very simple 'installation' with no wiring involved and pairing with the compatible satnav is a breeze. I was initially concerned that the camera itself is easy for anyone to pull out of its mount (at least the way I did it which is put onto our bike rack) but then I decided it wouldn't be the end of the world if that happened. Actually, the camera is just a little black tube with a barely visible lens so I don't think anyone even notices it.

Battery life is great and the camera just gives me confidence that nobody has put themselves into a silly position right behind me. All but the smallest vehicles would be visible on the wing mirrors, but we did once have a cyclist pull up right behind us and he even ignored our reversing lights.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks AndyPK and Ian J. Winfield .... Appreciate your input...

Ordered one, for my car to stop her moaning... :giggler:

Got a wired one coming for my Van.. That should be easy enough to fit...:doh::rofl:

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Do they do one with on board batteries so there is NO wiring at all..?

I have scoured the tiinternet to no avail, but there may be one out there..
What about a solar wireless one?

AUTO-VOX Solar Powered Wireless Reversing Camera Kit, 5 Mins DIY Installation, Clear Image Backup Camera with IP68 Waterproof for Cars and Van Amazon product ASIN B07YS272Y4

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Auto-Vox BC40....came this morning..

Took me a bit longer than 5 mins to fit.. more like an hour and five minutes..:doh:

But well impressed with the quality of picture... (y) Thee only problem I can foresee is if the car is locked up for any length of time getting the camera battery charged... and where can I get a 12 ft long lead to go from the camera to a usb point..

Now the wired one for my van is going to be a pain in the butt..

The bracket to fix the camera to is like a normal one.... BUT...

Transit back door curve right over the roof so if I used the bracket that came I would only be able to aim it right behind and NOT down on the ground immediately behind the van.. (See photo.)

Any suggestions..????? I had thought of mounting the bracket just below the high level stop lights...

What do you think...?????? :think:

1614353677201.png

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Auto-Vox BC40....came this morning..

Took me a bit longer than 5 mins to fit.. more like an hour and five minutes..:doh:

But well impressed with the quality of picture... (y) Thee only problem I can foresee is if the car is locked up for any length of time getting the camera battery charged... and where can I get a 12 ft long lead to go from the camera to a usb point..

Now the wired one for my van is going to be a pain in the butt..

The bracket to fix the camera to is like a normal one.... BUT...

Transit back door curve right over the roof so if I used the bracket that came I would only be able to aim it right behind and NOT down on the ground immediately behind the van.. (See photo.)

Any suggestions..????? I had thought of mounting the bracket just below the high level stop lights...

What do you think...?????? :think:

View attachment 469167

Bring a USB plug to the vehicle? Plenty of reel extension leads with a USB socket as well as 3 pin plugs. (y)

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
Have you already got the transit kit? If not get one that replaces the high level stoplight, got one on my vivaro

Attachments

• 58490E9B-8C34-4359-9762-ABCF99EB542E.jpeg
    58490E9B-8C34-4359-9762-ABCF99EB542E.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 4
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
I’ve got the reversing camera in the high brake light that came with the van. Great for looking straight down, but not great for looking straight back.

I’ve fitted an Autovox Solar to the rear number plate that is ideal for looking straight back.

Pro’s.....easy to fit solar camera, easy 12v plug in power supply to dash socket, good picture on dashboard monitor.

Con’s...... Screen vibrates a little on my dash when driving, you need to push a button to active the camera.

There’s some good videos on the internet about it. I’ve done about 1000 miles with it fitted and never lost the picture or had any interference.

The picture isn’t as good as the van fitted camera, but good enough for what I wanted, which was to see straight back. (y)
I fitted mine up high on the bike rack, gives a good view, sometimes it seems to take a long time to come on after pushing the button and maximum on time is 90 seconds I think so pros and cons

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Got a wired one coming for my Van.. That should be easy enough to fit...:doh::rofl:

Opened the box.................... (y)

And promptly closed the box............ (n):Eeek:

That looks a real pain in the aris to fit...

So have ordered another Auto-Vox... coming today....

Should be able to fit the camera on the right hand side of the number plate...

Wont be dead in-line but better than nothing as the Van does NOT have parking sensors..

If anyone wants a good quality wired camera, give us a shout they can have it half price ie £25.. + P&P....

Seal on box cut and box opened then closed a bit rapid like... :doh::giggler:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Opened the box.................... (y)

And promptly closed the box............ (n):Eeek:

That looks a real pain in the aris to fit...

So have ordered another Auto-Vox... coming today....

Should be able to fit the camera on the right hand side of the number plate...

Wont be dead in-line but better than nothing as the Van does NOT have parking sensors..

If anyone wants a good quality wired camera, give us a shout they can have it half price ie £25.. + P&P....

Seal on box cut and box opened then closed a bit rapid like... :doh::giggler:

I’ve fitted mine in the centre of the number plate even though it’s not central.

Before I did a final fit I taped it in both positions and there was little in it, so I put it in the centre of the plate as it looked better there.

Stick your wheelie bin (if you have one) at the back of your van, switch the camera on and see which line layout is best for you. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back