Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Hi and welcome. Do you have any prior experience of camping/caravanning/motorhoming ? As mentioned, you might be better off trying a hire van for a week or two and see how you go first?
Also, you might want to check out this thread before you commit your hard earned ?
Very little experience with motorhoming but have done a lot of motorcycle touring in my time. Now I'm looking for a bit more comfort rather than having a sore butt at the end of the day and too tired to do stuff :Smile:

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
:welcome4:

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but being a fan of panelvan conversions, our first being a Rapido v53 and now a Pilote v600g , I think the Sunlight Cliff 600 is a panelvan conversion, and although they are very popular I would advise you to rent one , ? I realise you want to jump straight in, but it's a expensive mistake if like many don't like it, they are like marmite, love em or hate them. ?
And as DBK John said the restrictions on travel, might have an influence on you decision. ? Bob.
I'm sure I will like the lifestyle as I was always a bit of a wanderer when I was younger. I have traveled extensively on motorcycles and the call of the road is strong for me. :Smile:

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
I have no experience (yet) of a Sunlight Cliff although have one on order, delivery in June. I just want to make sure you're aware that Sunlight have been selling 15th anniversary special editions, not surprisingly known as the XV edition. If you can still get one do consider it. They come fully loaded with useful accessories (awning, reversing camera etc).

My only experience of Lowdhams was nearly buying a new Sunlight van (but 2018 model year) from them at what appeared to be a heavily discounted price. With hindsight I think their pricing was misleading at best, and very poor value compared with the new XV range (which they omitted to mention). Personally I wouldn't consider buying from them in future.
I'm very interested in the 600 xv which, on paper, looks to be a great deal. I will definitely go for one of those if they are still available next year but if not, I think you can still customise through the dealer, although it may be a bit more expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Hello, we bought a Cliff 600 a couple of years ago and travelled round Europe for two months last year (France/Germany/Austria/Italy). We haven't regretted buying it - it's a versatile unit and the major benefit is being able to park virtually anywhere, including central Salzburg (once you find a parking space!). The only challenge we had was smoking brakes on the Grossglockner Pass, which I gather isn't unusual. Happy to share our experiences/tips if you'd like that. Best wishes, Graham
Nice to know you are enjoying your 600 although the smoking brakes are a bit of a concern. I think there is a downhill descent aid which would help with this and it might be a good idea for me to go with this when I order.

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Hi and welcome. Do you have any prior experience of camping/caravanning/motorhoming ? As mentioned, you might be better off trying a hire van for a week or two and see how you go first?
Also, you might want to check out this thread before you commit your hard earned ?
I have quite a lot of motorcycle touring and camping experience having done several long tours over the years. Now I'm looking for comfort at the end of the day, not a sore butt and too tired to do anything :Smile:

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
:welcome4:

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but being a fan of panelvan conversions, our first being a Rapido v53 and now a Pilote v600g , I think the Sunlight Cliff 600 is a panelvan conversion, and although they are very popular I would advise you to rent one , ? I realise you want to jump straight in, but it's a expensive mistake if like many don't like it, they are like marmite, love em or hate them. ?
And as DBK John said the restrictions on travel, might have an influence on you decision. ? Bob.
I have quite a lot of motorcycle touring and camping experience having done several long tours over the years. Now I'm looking for comfort at the end of the day, not a sore butt and too tired to do anything. I'm sure I'm gonna love it and I am pretty set on the Cliff 600xv if they are still available next year.

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
I have no experience (yet) of a Sunlight Cliff although have one on order, delivery in June. I just want to make sure you're aware that Sunlight have been selling 15th anniversary special editions, not surprisingly known as the XV edition. If you can still get one do consider it. They come fully loaded with useful accessories (awning, reversing camera etc).

My only experience of Lowdhams was nearly buying a new Sunlight van (but 2018 model year) from them at what appeared to be a heavily discounted price. With hindsight I think their pricing was misleading at best, and very poor value compared with the new XV range (which they omitted to mention). Personally I wouldn't consider buying from them in future.
I think you are right. I have been doing quite a bit of research on this subject and the xv seems to be the way to go if still available next year. If not I will probably still go for the Cliff 600 and customize to order.

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Hello, we bought a Cliff 600 a couple of years ago and travelled round Europe for two months last year (France/Germany/Austria/Italy). We haven't regretted buying it - it's a versatile unit and the major benefit is being able to park virtually anywhere, including central Salzburg (once you find a parking space!). The only challenge we had was smoking brakes on the Grossglockner Pass, which I gather isn't unusual. Happy to share our experiences/tips if you'd like that. Best wishes, Graham
Nice to hear you are enjoying your Cliff 600 although the smoking brakes are a bit of a concern.
I'm sure there is a solution for that which enables a lot more engine braking. This model is beginning to sound like the right one for me as I will be traveling alone so plenty of room. I might even consider the 540 although I do like the extra room for a small wardrobe and cooking area.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Like you I considered a 540 but found that, in addition to the smaller wardrobe etc, the front dinette is notably more crampt than in the 600. Maybe no problem if you're not long legged or with beer belly. If you are, be sure to try one in the flesh before deciding.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Whilst 'Resident in the UAE' why don't you consider buying now and having it shipped to Dubai? Shipping cost on Ro - Ro will be a fraction of the VAT payable as an UK Resident, besides in 2021 we maybe subject to higher Import duty from europe.

After six months you can import into the UK as a 'Personal Import' along with all your household possessions.

Been there and done it. Went for two years in the 'good old days' and left twenty - five years later!

Robert

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Whilst 'Resident in the UAE' why don't you consider buying now and having it shipped to Dubai? Shipping cost on Ro - Ro will be a fraction of the VAT payable as an UK Resident, besides in 2021 we maybe subject to higher Import duty from europe.

After six months you can import into the UK as a 'Personal Import' along with all your household possessions.

Been there and done it. Went for two years in the 'good old days' and left twenty - five years later!

Robert
Hahahaha, same thing happened to me. Came for a look and still here 20 years later! I like the idea of importing to here but how about, when I leave here, I drive back to the UK? Almost impossible I'm sure, what with all the unrest here in the Middle East but there may be a way through as Saudi is opening up to tourism a bit more now. I think I'm gonna check this out. :Smile:

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Michael, I knew quite few people who were considering driving back to europe, mostly motor - cyclists, but I think only one ever did it in the end! Never did find out if he made it home to Germany. Shipping back is both a cheaper and safer alternative these days.

The best 'overland' route appears to be via Iran - ferry from Sharjah - so the most dangerous section you would face would be 'Kamikazi Alley' getting there. Have a look at the YouTube channel 'Itchy Boots' - series 1; a Dutch girl riding round the world on a Royal Enfield. Details her route back to the Netherlands from the UAE.

Robert

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
What ever you do, make sure you sit up in bed , no jokes please lots of people by one and find they can't, read or have a drink , also if it's Fiat go for a 180 bhp,

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
Welcome but not wishing to rain on your parade too early keep in mind the restrictions we will have travelling in Europe after we fully leave the EU. If the UK accepts free movement it may not apply but at the moment the odds are we will be treated the same as folk from NZ, AUS or the USA and limited to 90 days in any 180 days. It won't stop travel in Mainland Europe but the days of travelling around France or Spain for a year or so will probably be over unless you have Irish ancestry or something like that and can get an EU passport. :)
Strictly speaking, even whilst EU members, if you stay in Spain for more than 183 days you are required by law to register your vehicle in Spain.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Despite the forthcoming restrictions on 'Brits' in the 'EU. As a UAE resident for twenty years standing, not quite as long to remember the 'Good old Days' - power inshallah, water four hours on, four hourss off inshallah. You could always 'shoot - off' to the UK for family, or down to Morocco for six months where you would feel at home, agreed they are not the same as the Gulf Arabs, but a whole lot nicer, with exceptions, and very welcoming and the cost of living is cheap.

As regards to buying a 'van', they say you have to buy three to get the one you like. We decided on what were the prioritys we wanted and went from there. Bought a 'last of the line' from the factory at a great price that met our Specs and have no regrets; even had it repaired after a tree fell on it.

Robert

Last edited:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi Guys. Nice to be a new member and to be able to take advantage and advice from established members on here. Let me tell you what my plan is and
I have been thinking about this for years. I have been living and working abroad for many years and have this dream of coming back to the UK and buying a new campervan to travel the country and Europe for as long as I am able (or willing). The Campervan I am interested in is an Sunlight Cliff 600 and doesn't seem to get many mentions on these forums. I had a great connection with Lowdhams of Nottingham who were very helpful, helping me to find a model that would suit me and I will probably deal with them when I come to buy. In fact I am quite looking forward to making a custom order (auto gearbox, bigger engine etc) so if anyone has or had experience with this model (or Lowdhams), I would love to hear from you.
p.s. I'm just going to go for it: no hiring to see if the life suits me! :giggle:

We have just ordered a Cliff 600 for delivery in September. Considered the XV but didn’t want a black van.

We’d been looking for a year, with the Cliff being one of the first we looked at, and finally settled on. Silver paint job, all three pack options, 2nd leisure battery (both 110’s), 2 x 11kgs Gaslow system with exterior filler, 130w solar panel, Thule awning (canopy) plus other things. Happy with the price quoted.......can’t wait. (y)

(Buying from Cara in Stoke-on-Trent)

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Welcome. We’ve just bought a 6m Malibu similar layout I think to you. Similar plans to travel and after my M3/M25 commute today retirement may come quicker than planned!
Was a caravaner so getting used to less space , but much more flexible for traveling.

Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome. Recently downsized to a PVC ( one year ago) and, so far, it suits us fine. We were advised to go the whole hog and go for 5.4m as it can work as a normal vehicle: fits in supermarket parking space etc. In reality I’m not sure there’s a great difference but it sure fits well on the drive!! We’re both under six foot tall tho!
As Sunlight is a Dethleffs offshoot, you need to check out Pullingers who are fantastic to deal with. They are in Essex. Good luck with everything.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Michael2090
Loudhams also run "McRent"
They will rent you a motorhome of various sizes to 'try before you buy'

When we moved from VW Campers to Motorhomes we rented three different ones over the period of a couple of years (as well as going to the NEC show in October) so that when we were ready to buy, we knew exactly what we were looking for.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hahahaha, same thing happened to me. Came for a look and still here 20 years later! I like the idea of importing to here but how about, when I leave here, I drive back to the UK? Almost impossible I'm sure, what with all the unrest here in the Middle East but there may be a way through as Saudi is opening up to tourism a bit more now. I think I'm gonna check this out. :Smile:

My dad drove a "Pink Panther" Landrover back in 1976
The vehicle can be seen in the Imperial War museum ! as it's the only 'original' one still remaining.

His route was, Muscat, Sharjah, Bahrain, across Saudi to Yenbu, across on the ferry to Egypt, up the Nile, ferry from Alexandria to Italy (maybe via Cyprus ?) and then drove back from Italy to Calais, ferry to Dover, where the vehicle was impounded as customs claimed it was government property.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Must have 'fallen - off the back of a lorry' in the Dhofar!

Robert

Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Guys. Nice to be a new member and to be able to take advantage and advice from established members on here. Let me tell you what my plan is and
I have been thinking about this for years. I have been living and working abroad for many years and have this dream of coming back to the UK and buying a new campervan to travel the country and Europe for as long as I am able (or willing). The Campervan I am interested in is an Sunlight Cliff 600 and doesn't seem to get many mentions on these forums. I had a great connection with Lowdhams of Nottingham who were very helpful, helping me to find a model that would suit me and I will probably deal with them when I come to buy. In fact I am quite looking forward to making a custom order (auto gearbox, bigger engine etc) so if anyone has or had experience with this model (or Lowdhams), I would love to hear from you.
p.s. I'm just going to go for it: no hiring to see if the life suits me! :giggle:
The Sunlight is built in the Capron factory in Saxony on the Swiss German border and is owned by Ernist Hymer and they also make the Carado range in the same factory the quality is just fantastic I have the I 449 A class and love it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Strictly speaking, even whilst EU members, if you stay in Spain for more than 183 days you are required by law to register your vehicle in Spain.
You've other problems long before that.At 90 consecutive days you are required to register as a resident which then makes driving the vehicle illegal anyway.At 183 days cumulatively you are a tax resident even if not a resident & the vehicle requires 'sealing', precintado , at 6 months for the following 6 months ,if you aren't a resident.

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Oh well. That seems to be the end of that dream. Getting insurance appears to be a nightmare. As I have been out of the country for so long, it is going to be too hard to get insurance. Comfort are telling me that despite being a British citizen, they require that I need to be residing back in the UK for 2 years before they will consider insurance and I am assuming that will be the same for all insurance companies as none others are getting back to me except for Down Under. They are in the process of changing their insurance at the moment so cannot give me a quote if it is after January. Thanks for all the advice from you guys and good luck to you all.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh well. That seems to be the end of that dream. Getting insurance appears to be a nightmare. As I have been out of the country for so long, it is going to be too hard to get insurance. Comfort are telling me that despite being a British citizen, they require that I need to be residing back in the UK for 2 years before they will consider insurance and I am assuming that will be the same for all insurance companies as none others are getting back to me except for Down Under. They are in the process of changing their insurance at the moment so cannot give me a quote if it is after January. Thanks for all the advice from you guys and good luck to you all.
That's disappointing for you. :( I'm assuming you can get insurance for a car in which case the options, if you want to travel, I think are either a caravan or a small campervan such as a VW which might be classed as a car not a MH for insurance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Yeah, very disappointing. I still have one more idea but I'm not holding out much hope. Really had my heart set on the Cliff 540 xv.

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
Hi.
Have you tried Adrian Flux. They can usually help out. Not the cheapest but worth a try.
David

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Sent 2 emails to enquire about what they would need from me but no replies, so called them and still not come back to me. Will keep trying but my ordering/buying window is closing in.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Good luck to you!
You may have to pause for breath for a year or two in the UK before buying and setting off on your dream.
That will give you time to look at vans,plan routes,get insured,etc etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back