Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Hi Guys. Nice to be a new member and to be able to take advantage and advice from established members on here. Let me tell you what my plan is and
I have been thinking about this for years. I have been living and working abroad for many years and have this dream of coming back to the UK and buying a new campervan to travel the country and Europe for as long as I am able (or willing). The Campervan I am interested in is an Sunlight Cliff 600 and doesn't seem to get many mentions on these forums. I had a great connection with Lowdhams of Nottingham who were very helpful, helping me to find a model that would suit me and I will probably deal with them when I come to buy. In fact I am quite looking forward to making a custom order (auto gearbox, bigger engine etc) so if anyone has or had experience with this model (or Lowdhams), I would love to hear from you.
p.s. I'm just going to go for it: no hiring to see if the life suits me! :giggle:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome but not wishing to rain on your parade too early keep in mind the restrictions we will have travelling in Europe after we fully leave the EU. If the UK accepts free movement it may not apply but at the moment the odds are we will be treated the same as folk from NZ, AUS or the USA and limited to 90 days in any 180 days. It won't stop travel in Mainland Europe but the days of travelling around France or Spain for a year or so will probably be over unless you have Irish ancestry or something like that and can get an EU passport. :)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Welcome to the fun house !! I really would consider hiring first though. New MH's are subject to a lot more tax than previously so you need to be aware of additional costs dependant on engine size

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Sunlight are to Dethleffs like Carado are to Hymer both made in the same factory in Dresden. Low cost basic vans built by the Hymer group. Built on the standard Fiat chassis cab rather than the Camping chassis or Al-Ko chassis. Furnishings tend to be on the basic side if you are intending to spend a lot of time in it probably worth going for something with a bit more comfort.
As you are well travelled have you considered importing as you could depending on the model get a new one on the road for under £40k.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi and welcome. Do you have any prior experience of camping/caravanning/motorhoming ? As mentioned, you might be better off trying a hire van for a week or two and see how you go first?
Also, you might want to check out this thread before you commit your hard earned ?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
:welcome4:

Hi, correct me if I'm wrong, but being a fan of panelvan conversions, our first being a Rapido v53 and now a Pilote v600g , I think the Sunlight Cliff 600 is a panelvan conversion, and although they are very popular I would advise you to rent one , ? I realise you want to jump straight in, but it's a expensive mistake if like many don't like it, they are like marmite, love em or hate them. ?
And as DBK John said the restrictions on travel, might have an influence on you decision. ? Bob.

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I have no experience (yet) of a Sunlight Cliff although have one on order, delivery in June. I just want to make sure you're aware that Sunlight have been selling 15th anniversary special editions, not surprisingly known as the XV edition. If you can still get one do consider it. They come fully loaded with useful accessories (awning, reversing camera etc).

My only experience of Lowdhams was nearly buying a new Sunlight van (but 2018 model year) from them at what appeared to be a heavily discounted price. With hindsight I think their pricing was misleading at best, and very poor value compared with the new XV range (which they omitted to mention). Personally I wouldn't consider buying from them in future.

Last edited:

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
Hello, we bought a Cliff 600 a couple of years ago and travelled round Europe for two months last year (France/Germany/Austria/Italy). We haven't regretted buying it - it's a versatile unit and the major benefit is being able to park virtually anywhere, including central Salzburg (once you find a parking space!). The only challenge we had was smoking brakes on the Grossglockner Pass, which I gather isn't unusual. Happy to share our experiences/tips if you'd like that. Best wishes, Graham

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Sounds awesome.. all in too, my kind of approach.. when is this all happening? Welcome to the forum too!
I'm hoping for this time next year as I need to spend 1 more year here in Dubai. This will give me plenty of time to get my order in for My Cliff 600.

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Welcome but not wishing to rain on your parade too early keep in mind the restrictions we will have travelling in Europe after we fully leave the EU. If the UK accepts free movement it may not apply but at the moment the odds are we will be treated the same as folk from NZ, AUS or the USA and limited to 90 days in any 180 days. It won't stop travel in Mainland Europe but the days of travelling around France or Spain for a year or so will probably be over unless you have Irish ancestry or something like that and can get an EU passport. :)
No problem, you are not raining on my parade. I'm planning to spend time in UK and EU and I'm guessing that by this time next year we will have a better idea of what the new rules/restrictions will be. Irish passport is a good idea as I do have Irish blood :Smile:

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
Welcome to the fun house !! I really would consider hiring first though. New MH's are subject to a lot more tax than previously so you need to be aware of additional costs dependant on engine size
This is something I have tried before (a long time ago) so I'm sure I will enjoy. It's just my way to jump in with both feet! :Smile:

OP
OP
M

Michael2090

Free Member
Dec 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I will be a newbie
:welco:
Sunlight are to Dethleffs like Carado are to Hymer both made in the same factory in Dresden. Low cost basic vans built by the Hymer group. Built on the standard Fiat chassis cab rather than the Camping chassis or Al-Ko chassis. Furnishings tend to be on the basic side if you are intending to spend a lot of time in it probably worth going for something with a bit more comfort.
As you are well travelled have you considered importing as you could depending on the model get a new one on the road for under £40k.
Thats a great idea. I never thought about importing. I will look into that for sure. Thanks for the info and I am hoping I can still get the 600 xv model next year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back